1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sola scriptura or prima scriptura

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Matt Black, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I get for writing about this kind of matter away from my library :( . But, my point is made none the less. As part of an imperative clause, baptize is not open for much if any discussion as to it being optional for the believer. That is what makes for a CAT1 truth. (Okay, if you want to push it CAT 1.9) ;)

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Daniel Dunivan

The problem with Tradition is what you mean by it; I take it that you mean the Great Church Tradition of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. I have a major problem with that and it is this: that same Tradition fell so badly into error that the Reformation was necessary (indeed I would argue for significant error as early as the 4th century) - so there is absolutely no way I could rely on that Tradition as authoritative for Scriptural interpretation.

Pastor Larry is also quite right about neo-orthodoxy - it makes Scripture subject to Man rather than the other way round

Back to the drawing-board, people...

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

When I said:

I no where said that scripture was only God's word when it communicated meaning! You are interpreting me incorrectly. I actually mean that on the level of theological and practical application the interpretation is what we actually see--pragmatically speaking--not the Word of God. Furthermore, Barth would never say what I stated above--that tradition, experience, and reason must be used in constructing theology. Especially early on he totally rejected any analogy of being between the human person and God--revelation can never be under experience. Instead, he would argue that only revelation as the Holy Spirit acts upon me as I encounter the "Word of God" (not necessarily the Bible) is the source of all theology. I know what Neo-orthodoxy is! I do like some of what Barth and Brunner say, but the extent to which they take them is not acceptable. I would argue that your claim that they have been destroyed by critique is absolutely untrue. Neo-orthodoxy is alive and well in contemporary theological reflection (just maybe not at the fundamentalist level--who would have believed that?--and it has definately moved beyond the expressions of the 50s and 60s)

Pastor Larry said:
    This is exactly what I've been trying to illustrate. This theology of ordinances is not straight out of scripture, but is a product of tradition. This is absolutely undeniable! You are starting from within your experiences of a particular tradition to formulate this answer.

Pastor Larry said:
    Actually the goal of Bible study is to convey the tradition of interpretation--when you read a commentary or listen to someone expound the text you are hearing a tradition of Biblical interpretation. When someone reads the text you are hearing the Bible itself. This distiction is paramount to this discussion. WE SHOULD NEVER ALLOW THESE TWO TO BE EQUATED IN EITHER THEOLOGY OR PRACTICE.

Matt,

I was meaning the Great Tradition of the Church not equated with either the Roman or Orthodox churches. I mean the larger tradition of the church. When you make the statement about error you are showing how you have replaced the Roman tradition with the reformation tradition. Would you say that the reformation tradition as it was expressed and developed has never come into error?

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

This is actually a great discussion!!

4. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

As we all come to celebrate Easter Sunday in a couple of weeks -

Why are we letting a non-scriptural based decree determine what the date for Easter is?

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Danny, your point illustrates the problem with Tradition as alluded to in my OP

Further question - to what extent can we talk in terms of a Baptist Tradition of interpretation?

Yours in Christ

Matt

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Brother Matt, as I observed on another thread, we Baptists have a knack for coming up with a Third Way of looking at matters. ;)

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

IE: two Baptists will produce three traditions of interpretation!

Yours in Christ

Matt

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which makes talking about "binding Baptist traditions" somewhat of an oxymoron. [​IMG]

9. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

What seems important to understand is that tradition will not dictate our interpretation, but provide us clues. In other words, the use of tradition seems more of an aesthetic sensibilty than a scientific process.

I do think that it is important to search for a baptist tradition of interpretation (and theology). One of the reasons that we do theology is to show how we read scripture, though these two processes seem to always be in dialectial tension.

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is the Church? There’s an obvious answer but as Keith said, it’s not so easy a question to answer.
    It’s easier to see the works of the Church, (…and when it fails). Church Tradition is not inerrant.

The various ecumenical counsels performed some great works in defining the faith.
    The doctrine of the Trinity,
    Definition of the canon
    Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed
    and hundreds of others…

The “Tradition” is carried with each generation of believers. Sure, these doctrines are in the Scriptures but imagine the division if we had to go back to each controversy and fight them again.

…wait that’s what is being done now when we deny tradition of any form; we’re battling the same battles and others of a more insidious nature.

Rob

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is the Church? There’s an obvious answer but as Keith said, it’s not so easy a question to answer.
    It’s easier to see the works of the Church, (…and when it fails). Church Tradition is not inerrant.

The various ecumenical counsels performed some great works in defining the faith.
    The doctrine of the Trinity,
    Definition of the canon
    Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed
    and hundreds of others…

The “Tradition” is carried with each generation of believers. Sure, these doctrines are in the Scriptures but imagine the division if we had to go back to each controversy and fight them again.

…wait, that’s what is being done now when we deny tradition of any form; we’re battling the same battles and others of a more insidious nature.

Rob