1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sola Scriptura: Put up or Shut Up

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Jul 31, 2010.

?
  1. Need clear principles from the Bible before a preacher condemns it

23 vote(s)
    95.8%
  2. Principles can actually be VERY ambiguous and still preached

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Bible? Who needs Bible? I stand for the Old Paths, bless God!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't think there are any gray areas in Scripture. The gray areas are in our mind due to a number of factors that I pointed out, such as the noetic affects of sin, cultural situatedness, personal biases, etc.

God created everything good. Sin has distorted God's good creation. Those are your two categories.

The problem is when people don't recognize their own limitations. Therefore they declare something black or white based on their own judgment without humility and without careful handling of Scripture. It is indisputable that Scripture is not a complete catalog of right and wrong. It is also indisputable that in Scripture God has equipped us for every good work. The problem is connecting those two things.

Some get the idea that if "good men differ," it must be unclear or the truth must be in the middle. THat's simply not true. Some people are just wrong. They may hold a good conscience and be totally uninformed, or biased, or unable to think carefully. Sometimes it's me. OF course, if I knew where that was, I would change as I have in the past.

So we need to be careful all the way around. Historically, sola scriptura has not meant that anything God doesn't address is fair game because "there is no verse for it." Such a handling of Scripture is legalism that should be rejected.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I agreed. The problem is not God's word.

HankD