1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sola Scriptura

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

When we write our own words on these forums ("fori"?) we are quoting a living theologian. This only differs from quoting the dead theologian in that the dead one said it better.

Some cynic said once, "opinions are like armpits; there's always two and they both stink."

That's his opinion.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with both what RB and what Allan said: Creeds are useful but we can't overemphasize them and they have no authority as the Bible does.

However, since creeds came about as responses to attacks on the faith, I do find them quite useful in clarifying beliefs. For example, I have been surprised at the number of believers who do not seem to think being against the Trinity is a problem. I kid you not! (When I have time, I might start a thread on this).

When I come across this, I will often find the Athanasian Creed and send it to them to show how imporant the Trinity is, and explain the Sabellian heresy.

Example: T D Jakes denies the Trinity but he's so popular. When I've told some believers this, their response is sometimes, "Well, does it matter that much if he denies the Trinity?" I think there is a de-emphasis on doctrine going on in the church that is very dangerous.

I better get off my soapbox -- I can feel a speech coming on!

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Step right on up and commence speechifyin'! I agree with your post.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks! Very tempting.....:wavey:

I think doctrine and God's word are being undermined by a turn toward the mystical and subjective and the E word (Emerging). I better quit.

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Your not the only one who thinks that. :thumbs: