1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Solar panels

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by JonC, Aug 20, 2020.

1. kathellen

kathellen New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems interesting.

#21 kathellen, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have 2-1oo watt solar panels on my trailer, and they paid for themselves quickly. No longer having to run a generator for simple stuff like a laptop, light and fan. Now, it recharges itself daily. I know for larger places you have far more needs than I do. But if you do it right, it'll pay for itself fast.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool.

What type of battery(ies) did you choose, or is it a solar generator/power station that you use?

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to buy, maintain and store batteries & you require a transfer switch. Lastly where you going to put these panels... on the roof? What’s the roofs structural integrity?

you might use the straight razor to slit your throat ... lastly they are coming out with new roof tiles to collect the solar energy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The batteries are the regular lead-acid 12 VDC deep cycle batteries from WalMart. They cost about $80 ea. or so. The lithium ion are supposed to be better, that they can hold a charge longer and lost a lot longer.
    As for the panels, I did the research and found the best place (at the time) was High Quality Solar Technology (HQST Solar). It seems they are still the best, but I really havn't looked around much lately. You really do save money going with HQST than Harbor Freight or even Home Depot.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Here's a price comparison I did earlier this year for another group

2-100 watt polycrystaline solar panels, HQST ($240)
    1-30 amp charge controller, HQST (incl. #1)
    1-2000 watt inverter, truck stop ($250)
    2-12VDC deep cycle batteries, Wal Mart ($90, each, $180 ttl)

------------------

I hear people talk about this "killer deal" they get on solar panels from Harbor Freight. And every time I laugh at them. Last time a 100 watt panel with charge controller cost, and I just now double checked these prices, HQST whoops HF...Every. Single. Time. HQST sells high quality panels. HQST's customer service is way awesome. They have always taken really good care of me. HF, their panels are garbage, and their customer service does not specialize in solar technology so they really can't help you any more than what the panel instructions say.

But come on! The proof's in the pudding, baby!
    Harbor Freight (Search Results For "Solar") has their POS Thunderbolt 100 Watt Solar Panel Kit for $189.99.

HQST's (Products - Solar Kits - Page 1 - HQST) *power equivalent* panels are dirt cheap. The HQST 100 Watt Monocrystalline Solar Kit w/ 20A PWM Controller, $107.99. The HQST 100 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Kit with 20A PWM Controller, $112.99.

But if you want cost equivalent, HQST beats them hands down in a heart beat. The HQST 200 Watt Monocrystalline Solar Kit w/ 20A PWM Controller, $195.99. The HQST 200 Watt Monocrystalline Solar Kit w/ 30A PWM Controller, $195.99 as well. Today it's on sale, and even if it's not on sale, the regular price still beats Harbor Fright.

Note- I do not work for them nor do I get any benefits from them for telling people how great they are. I only do so as I feel obligated to assist my fellow RV'ers & Off Griders when I can. Feel free in asking HQST if they know me, in fact. (they may want my address so they'll know where to send the coppers, though!)

• Informative Informative x 1