1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Baptist History Titles

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Squire Robertsson, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread, I cited for @Van some Baptist history books. So here's what I found in free e-books:
    • Notes on the Principles and Practices of Baptist Churches by Francis Wayland
    • Hiscox New Directory for Baptist Churches unavailable for free. But is available as an Amazon Kindle book.
    • A History of the Baptists, Thomas Armitage, is not available as an ebook. But is available in print. It's pricey but it's out there.
    • The same can be said of John T. Christian's A History of the Baptists Volumes I and II.

2. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Volume 2 of The British Particular Baptists 1638-1910. There are twelve chapters by ten authors. It is edited by Michael A.G. Haykin. Some of my favorite chapters are on the Haldane brothers, Abraham Booth, Christmas Evans and of course --John Rippon!

4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Volume 1 of Christian was my Baptist History textbook in college. Hiscox was our text in Baptist Polity, Armitage was on the required reading list for Baptist History.

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    History of the English Calvinistic Baptists 1771-1892 by Robert W. Oliver (Banner of Truth 2006).
    Excellent book covering the period from the death of John Gill to that of Spurgeon. Of especial interest to those interested in the rise of Hyper-Calvinism among the P.B.s and the work of Andrew Fuller and his associates.
    Another good work is History of Dissenters (3 volumes) by Bennett and Bogue, originally published in 1839 but re-published in a new edition by Tentmaker Publications in 2000. This covers English Presbyterians and Congregationalists as well as Baptists from the Glorious Revolution in 1688 until 1830. Loads of interesting stuff.