1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Basic Info On John Calvin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have said before:A lie,is a lie,is a lie. And nothing can change that fact. Intentional lies have been said by others about the life of Calvin. You can't just dismiss it out-of-hand. No primary sources were noted. And not one,but two "articles" filled with untruths were posted. Do you think lies should be allowed to stand? Of course not.

Amen!

#41 Rippon, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something else needs to be said about lying. A certain poster made a pledge in the past,roughly 4 and a half years ago that he would never say anyting more about the man John Calvin. And he made the same promise a day or so ago. I guess he finds it hard to keep his word.

#42 Rippon, May 6, 2013
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [personal attack edited]

#43 Revmitchell, May 6, 2013
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More sinning coming from your keystrokes I see.

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You can call them facts if you want, but that doesn't make them true. Most of your rantings are based upon your wondrous ability to cut and paste and, evidently a lot of spare time to scour the Internet looking for those who agree with you.

I don't know why it bothers you that everyone doesn't agree with you concerning the NIV, but in spite of your ramblings, everyone will chose for themselves regardless how many pages you post saying hooray for my side!

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Facts by very definition are true. Is that news for you?

You are confused and need reorientation. This thread has nothing to do with Bible translations!

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, facts by definition are true. The problem is you post opinions, and uninformed ones at that.

That is so pot and kettle.

#47 saturneptune, May 6, 2013
  8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK. Who is gonna' come in here an moderatiOWN this thread?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I challenge anyone to go to my OP and take it apart factually if you are able. Dispute what you may with facts. Document anything you think are falsehoods.

Don't merely bandy bad words and ill-temper;displaying for all the world to see your sub-Christian character. I would like to see someone go to primary sources (that does not mean Ruckman,Rice etc.) and prove me wrong.

It is so easy for some of you to just pelt without thought of the consequences. Strive to be godly. Live up to the faith you profess.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Practice what you preach, Brother. Practice what you preach.

When I referenced another thread via linking rather than quoting content, you couldn't resist bringing in content that had nothing to do with this thread. Even though I asked you not to include other BB members in reference to my post, you had to drag someone in, anyway.

Over the years, I've learned that most people reflect the attributes of their mentors. Sometimes positive. Sometimes negative. Sometimes something inbetween. I take it that John Calvin is a form of "mentor" in your life. You want me to give time and energy to study him and his writings. To incorporate his views into my thinking. Yet, if you are, indeed, showing some degree of reflection of him, then, perhaps that isn't a place that I want to go.

In closing and for whatever it may be worth.....

Everyone of us should be reflecting the attributes of the greatest Mentor who ever walked on this earth. Sadly, sometimes I fail miserably, when I forget that, even for a moment. :tear: Especially when I sitting at this keyboard. Trying hard to practice what I preach sometimes requires that I sit on my hands to keep them off the keys. :type:

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Best post of the thread, and advice I need to take more often. I can remember, from an earthly standpoint, a "mentor" that really impressed me as a young person and adult that was good for this country was Richard Nixon when elected President in 1968. As the economy improved, the civil unrest calmed down, and we withdrew from Vietnam gradually, that this was the man we needed. I was in the service and voted for his reelection in 1972. He actually came to our base in 1973, and I got to shake his hand.

Shortly after that, the Watergate mess started, and I took that as an attempt by the press and the liberals to harm what he had accomplished. As time passed, it became apparant he had abused his office, and lied to the American people. At that point, liberal and conservative become immaterial. For the mistake it turned out to be, I voted for Carter in 1976 because of the pardon. I think the lesson is no human is a mentor that is beyond disappointing a person.

Here are some pictures I snapped of him with a brownie camera.
    [images too big]

#51 saturneptune, May 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
  12. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Why is it every time The Doctrine of Grace, Sola Gratia or the mention of John Calvin seems the arouse the venom in so many members?

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or maybe it is the way in which it is mentioned.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Despite all Calvin's supposed character flaws, he was eminently more qualified to preach than any that has weighed in on this thread.

Would to God your sins were as trifling as his.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's their flesh rising up.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Because his name is attached to a holy doctrine and he himself is a thug, murderer, liar, and a false witness.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Funny, in my entire life, I never murdered or tortured anyone, neither did I publish documents that said one thing while I did another. (church and state for example of many)

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are not worthy of comment.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hate= murder according to the words of Jesus.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I note that nobody has the wherewithal to counter my OP with sound documentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.