1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Basic Info On John Calvin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Jesus said He would destroy the temple and build it again in three days.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One was an Apostle, another a gifted teacher/expositor of the Bible and chrsitian faith, bit BOTH were murderers and sinners who needed to be saved by same christ, so they are a lot alike!

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jesus was and is god, calvin was not though, so while do respect his teachings and views, IF he really said and did as this allenges, went way overbounds!

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Philip Vollmer's book :John Calvin:Man of the Millennium.

He quotes Philip Schaff (certainly NOT a Calvinist) on page 137.

"Upon the whole,the verdict of history is growing in favor of Calvin. Those who know him best esteem him most. All impartial writers admit the purity and integrity,if not the sanctity of his character and absolute freedom from love of gain and notoriety...Such a combination of theoretical and practical pre-eminence is without parallel in history. He may be called a Christian Elijah. His symbol was a hand offering the sacrifice of a burning heart to God. The Council of Geneva was impressed with 'the great majesty' of his character. This significant expression accounts for his overawing power over his many enemies in Geneva,who might have easily crushed him at any time...Calvin's intellectual endowments were of the highest order and thoroughly disciplined. his talents rose to the full height of genius. He never wrote a dull line. his judgment was so exact,as Beza remarks,it often appeared like prophecy."

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You apparently know little to no Church History. It is not a novel comparison that I came up with.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hmm...you broke your promise again. I am not surprised. You promised at least twice on the BB you would never talk about Calvin again (and in a PM). You broke that oath. You promised that you would never have anything to say to me again. You have addressed me multiple times since that oath. You break your word constantly. And yet you have the effrontery to say I make bold-faced lies. You are quite the sight.

I have made no lies. I have challenged you and any others to counter my OP if any falsehood is contained therein. You are not inclined toward truth telling. You document nothing to support your contention against me. Yet you persist in in your old ways for which you have apologized in the past.

You are in dire need for a meeting with your spiritual elders. Being a Christian means that you will not engage in medacity. You do it quite a lot. You are used to it. Who is the father of lies?

You have admitted that you are weak when it comes to the subject of Calvin because you get all wrought-up. Flee temptation! Why enter a forum when you know you will be sinning up a storm?

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I apologized for the remarks on Calvinism, which, by the way, you misrepresented, and that was five years ago. This is a brand new subject, the character of John Calvin, a man after the heart of Judas Iscariot. It is against BB rules for me to comment on your spiritual state.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why is it all the other posters are wrong and a single nitwit is right.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was 4 and a half years ago. And a promise should be a promise.

You,Sat/Nep said on 5/5/2013 :"I am not going to participate in any subjects about the man John Calvin. It does nothing but harm the inner self to discuss the man...I am done with this subject. Moving on."

Sat/Nep on 5/4/2013 :"I have nothing else to say to Rippon or about Calvin."

Sat/Nep on 8/6/2009 :"The Lord knows my fault far exceeds Calvin's.'

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why dont you take it week by week? This week you have uplifted John Calvin. Perhaps next week you can praise Judas, follow by Hitler. It does not matter if I stop or not, other posters are not going to stand by while you praise, on a Christian board, a murderer, a lost one at that.

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

This sort of chastisement is best carried out in PM.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I specialize in proving that you are not a person of their word. If you can't face it. Well,I will continue to provide it.

Since the subject troubles your inner self...move on,as you said you would.

The more you spew forth your venom the more evidence there is that YOU are the ome with issues. And it goes beyond your interation with me and the read cape of John Calvin in the wind. You reguarly engage in the equivalent of a slugfest with others on various forums.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He needs to be rebuked publicly. He's way beyond the pale.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, from me to him.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You do not have the moral authority to rebuke anyone.

#95 saturneptune, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

#96 saturneptune, May 8, 2013
  17. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thanks for the links. As I've mentioned before, I haven't done an indepth study on Calvin's life or works. The more strife that the mere mention of his name causes, the less I want to learn more about him, as a person. The reason why is pretty much summed up with the laughter of those at the end of the second link.

I pray that I'm never so callous as to be able to laugh at absolute horror in the way these "learned" men did on that stage. That laughter is symbolic of something far removed from what Jesus taught with the two greatest commandments. Something far different than the compassion of my Saviour, when He said, "forgive them for they know not what they do".

Two thoughts came to mind.

-- Jesus wept when He heard that laughter.

-- The wrath of God when He heard that laughter.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have not known you that long, but have come to respect your posts very much. You remind me of my buddy that disappeared, Old Regular. Like I said, there is obviously a great divide a passion about this man one way or the other.

I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place on this issue. I basically agree with the points on doctrines of sovereignty and grace, but I refuse to honor the label "Calvin."

Well, thanks for looking at the links. Maybe the best way to study the man besides the public records is to read his own writings called the Institutes. Although lengthy, two points (plus many others, including his actions) that stick inmy craw are his belief in infant baptism, and his arguments for seperation of church and state. At the same time he argued for seperation, he created a theocracy in Geneva to the point of executions and torture.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pharisees were doctors of the law.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those with a bit of Scriptural literacy will immediately recognize that I have been listing the false accusations of Christ by them that were scholastic paragons.

Every accusation of Calvin in this thread is false, but then hatred of the Gospel isn't a fruit of one's learning, but of his character.

But even if the accusations were true, would to God the worst thing that one could say of me (and any of you) is that I burned one who attributed the knowledge of the Trinity to the Devil.

So, this October I will celebrate my betters by making smores over a glowing effigy of Servetus.[​IMG]

http://www.banneroftruth.org/pages/articles/article_detail.php?457

#100 Aaron, May 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.