1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some colour photo's made during WW1.

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by mioque, Feb 27, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I though the world was in B&W in WW1 [​IMG] .

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've been reading Calvin and Hobbes, huh?

Cool pictures.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Those are interesting pictures. I studied photography in college and developed many strips of negative and printed many a print. It is a LOT of fun if you haven't had the chance to try this.

Do it in black and white. Actually the most powerful photos can be made in black and white - color tends to get in the way of art. Look at Ansel Adams.

By the way, black and white is made by exposing a silver compound to light and the black portion is where metallic silver remains on either the film or the negative (it is reversed--the reason for the negative first, then reversing it again to make a print). The silver is finely powered and turns black where the dark parts of the picture are. The white, is where the silver did not come out of the solution and is washed away in a chemical called the "Fix" bath.

Does anybody know how normal color photography works? (Its really quite easy.)

4. mioque

mioque New Member

"I though the world was in B&W in WW1"
    "
    It was, unless you belonged to a select group of French or Russian photographers.

There was an english inventor who also had invented a procedé for making colour photographs, but he apparently preferred to use it for taking pictures of naked 'ladies'.
    One would expect such a choiche of the French inventors instead. ;)

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm gonna try to forward those photos to "Command Headquarters"---there could be a bonus in Blackbird's war wages if he can pinpoint the "Combat Zone"

Cool pictures!!

6. mioque

mioque New Member

blackbird
    Those pictures featuring French soldiers were taken along the quieter sections of the western front during the second half of the war.
    Especially noteworthy are those unlikely looking soldiers who would never be allowed to join the modern American military. During the Great War France had to draft basically ever more or less ablebodied man they could find and ended up losing most of them. :(

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Not only was WWI in b&w, but the uniforms and helmets are all wrong --- according to the movies I've seen the soldiers were all Americans vs Germans with an occasional odd Brit thrown in and every now and then some snow-covered Russians.

Those are wonderful photos, Mioque.