1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Some flaws to Calvinism.. Reformed we need to get it together!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I completely disagree. Calvinists often completely ignore scripture that obviously refutes them.

For instance, I have asked any Calvinist to show scripture that shows we receive the Holy Spirit before belief. To this day, no Calvinist has shown a single scripture to support this.

To the contrary, I have presented nearly a dozen scriptures that all clearly show a person first believes and receives the Spirit afterward. Yet Calvinists insist their view is correct.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

You might get offended, but I have concluded that almost all Calvinists are intellectually dishonest. This is not an issue of interpretation, these scriptures are clear and undeniable.

I cannot count how many times I and others have presented clear scripture that refutes Calvinism, Calvinists simply insist their view is correct even when all scripture contradicts it. That is dishonesty.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You should do the same. You teach that man was not born with a sin nature, but BECOMES a sinner. I have given you verses but you deny them. The wicked are indeed estranged from the womb and go forth speaking lies. Yes babies when they get to be of age will speak lies.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not all Calvinists believe that salvation follows regeneration. But I don't know of any who do not believe that men, who are lost, are saved by the work of the Spirit (then again, I really don't know of any Arminians who would reject that idea either). But I agree with you that we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost after (or perhaps at the same time) as salvation. I believe that salvation is the work of God, and that the Holy Spirit works in the lives of all people (even those who will not believe) - I doubt you will have trouble finding Scripture to affirm that statement. The problem I have is when we try to break down salvation into such micro-elements. I do not know it is possible, and if it is I do not know if the doctrine that results is worth standing upon.

I will never get offended by our disagreements. I pray that I do not offend by presenting opposing views. It is a matter of discussing and working through doctrine, and much of reasoning things out. So of course there will be disagreements.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats because God has given us LIBERTY and Calvinism is not an essential of the faith. Yes Reformed theology best matches with scripture, however plenty of Arminian are saved and will be in heaven.

Like the music debate, the bible translation debate, the debate on alcoholic beverages, modes of Baptism, ways to do open air preaching, and eschatology God has given people liberty.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

If I lived my life based on what morons think, I would be wasting my life.

Who cares what they think?

John Calvin systematized these doctrines like no one else in history.

Calvinism has done more for the Gospel than any other system of thought in history.

Even Eric Hankins, a rabid anti-Calvinist, acknowledges that Calvinism gave us our high view of God and Scripture!

Amerigo Vespucci is the explorer whose name our continent bears. Do you say, "I am not an AMERICAN. I am a Declaration of Indepencist because I don't want anybody saying that I follow a man who died 500 years ago"?

No.

So this is unwarranted on many levels.

Only a fool lets his enemies define him.

Nobody is ruder than Arminians who attack Calvinists and try to purge the SBC of them.

NOBODY on baptistboard,even including me, is any more insulting and condemnatory than Winman and Van.

This is just a bogus claim that dumb people make who feel threatened by more intelligent Calvinsts who beat them in debates.

Some stupid Calvinists do this.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

You don't have a clue, Reformed theology is nowhere near correct. I could show you hundreds of verses that all contradict Calvinism. I am not an Arminian, but Arminians are MUCH closer to what the scriptures are saying than Calvinists, no contest.

It's not about what you like, it about life and death and what the scriptures are REALLY teaching. Where you spend eternity depends on knowing the truth. They don't sell Mike's Hard Lemonade in hell.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its getting a bit cagey in here

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Perhaps I worry too much about what others think. Yes indeed I may be a fool in this area. You are right about WinMan. The man is self-righteous and thinks he knows everything. To top it off the man won't even read the arguments of Reformed in books as he cannot, as he is afraid to do so.

Regarding evangelism no one can define me. I believe WOTM is the best but not the only method. Reformed and Arminian whom disagree will not define me. Perhaps its more of a personality thing, but thats me and thats the way I fit in best.

Lots of Hard Line Dispensationalists believe in abstaining from alcoholic beverages to be in their 10 commandments to being holy list, but they have it wrong, as plenty drink in moderation and can be closer to God than someone whom has a list of DO's and Dont's.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am getting tired. Need to get back to reading my books.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And those who misrepresent the word of God by countless abuses of proof texts manipulated to saying what they WANT it to say will wish there WERE such beverages in hell to quench their undying thirsts

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

You better go fishing while you still can.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Whatever that means...:rolleyes:

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you fish? How often are you out hitting the streets by passing out tracts, talking with people about their eternal destiny, and open air preaching?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is merely at the top of their heads....:laugh:

I am not sure you can provide that much definition to your beliefs at this point & Im pretty certain you dont understand the intermingling in Calvinism & Reformed theology. Also, I dont think you completely understand the different types of Arminians & Non-Calvinists that are out there so how could you possibly put definition to your beliefs when you dont have the knowledge or the experience to do that job?

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

So says Winman, the one point Calvinist!

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you do???

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why yes...I do:thumbs:

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not a one point Calvinist, I believe in preservation of the Saints, not perseverance. I am not working to be saved, I am not enduring to the end, I am born again of incorruptible seed.

Do you know what "incorruptible" means?

What I believe and what you believe are very different.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think more than you know man.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you have alieniated almost everyone on this forum....good work:thumbs: