1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Fundamental Direction

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by BaptistXenos, Nov 19, 2004.

1. BaptistXenos

BaptistXenos New Member

MILITANT Fundamentalism = expound all Biblical doctrine AND expose all error and compromise and those who believe such

Dear Friends,

I hope you can help a baptist brother out here. Based on this definition I've tried in my ministry in teaching and preaching to hit that definiton when I step into the pulpit. I've been in ministry going on my ninth year in a few months. I'm a licensed and ordained minister. I consider myself a pastor though many in my culture doesn't. But I'm okay with that.

Recently, I have attempted to parnter with a baptist denomination and I had to get out because of their compromises with non-protestants, charismatics, evangelical feminists and the like. Because of this departure I can't put their local church on my resume and I certainly don't want to.

I'm praying for God to lead my family and I in a good direction.

A pastoral vacancy would be nice, or I'm really open to church planting. My home church is in another state. The pastor is affiliated with the National Missionary Baptist Convention (CA) and I'm in OH. So they can only offer prayer at this time, which is fine. I guess.

Any fundamental leads out there? If you need more information PM me and I can fill you in.

Thank you and God Bless

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I don't know what you consider fundamental. What do you believe?are you KJVO?

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. BaptistXenos

BaptistXenos New Member

Plain Old Bill.

The Fundamentals of the Faith.

I can send you a statement of faith if you'd like.

I love the KJV, personal I use the NKJV and NASB I use in personal study.

I'm more in line with most traditional conservative baptists. Preach with the KJV, I love the older hymns, and wear suits in the pulpit. I believe in male pastoral leadership.

Brother Squire. Thanks sir.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about the standard of a pastor first in 2 Timothy 2:24-26. Do you actually expose all error and compromise in your own life? If you do not, then you are not exposing your own sin first. And you are wanting to expose the sins of others first? Remember you are the leader not the judge.

How about that same standard when you are not in the pulpit? You may have tried, but you will never even meet the standard you say you try to live by perfectly. The problem is that there is only one person who qualifies to meet that standard. His name is Jesus. But if you would like to see how far you get with it, you might go to a country where there is persecution.

Jesus never called us to be a militant fundamentalist. He called us to be a radical Christian. If you want to try your hand at that then go to a country where Christians are being persecuted.

Humility goes a long way. When you go to another country where the Christians are facing persecution then you might get a real dose of where you really are in your judgment of yourself first. From what I read you think quite highly of yourself.

1 Thess 5:14, "We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone."

2 Tim 2:24-26, "The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will."

Has your trouble been any worse then Moses? Any worse than Jesus? Any worse than Joseph in the OT?

6. BaptistXenos

BaptistXenos New Member

Dear GB,

You have totally read me wrong.

It is best to ask questions, and then make statements. Otherwise, one makes statements without knowing the individual is presumptous.

The affirmation of what I copied and posted is a statement from this forum and is in the context of what God has called each of us to do my friend to do the work of an apologist.

To give a defense for the faith. 1st Peter 3:15 and Jude v3. And re-read the context of the pastoral epistles Paul told Timothy and Titus as pastors they are to refute the error. 1st Peter 3:15 says with meekness and respect. I attempt to model this. Perfectly? No.

My answer to the other brother, aren't my standards or praise reports or things I'm proud of, those are descriptions.

I merely came to the forum to reach out to the brothers here to relate to them where they are and to sharpen myself, and get help as well.

Did you take issue with the individual who coined the militant fundamentalist term ?

Have you read the term in it's proper setting as a definition among the terms to describe fundamentalist? It's on this forum as a definiton of terms.

I chose the term because the other choices didn't fit where most christians, or apologists, or pastors, or theologians that are conservatives are coming from. Read the list of choices. Maybe I should have qualified for everyone that's where the usage of the term came from.

But I don't think it's proper to launch into a what appears to be an attack. I don't know where you were coming from. But if you feel the need to correct someone, get clarification first of an individual's position.

Thank you.

[ November 19, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: BaptistXenos ]

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concur, with your attempt to use the same dictionary as well as the same vocabulary.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I may have read you wrong. I am sorry if I did. Coming from my own experience I can remember myself a complainer until I realized that I was not even living up to the standard I was complaining about in others.

So often I have seen and heard preachers who think they are supposed to correct every person in sight instead of being patient with them and correcting them in wisdom.

I now see that pastors are to be with them, not just preach at them. I saw your posting as more of a complaint than anything else and setting yourself up as the standard and wondering why such poision was aimed at you by those you are trying to pastor.

9. BaptistXenos

BaptistXenos New Member

GB,

I had no idea that I was partnering with people, who were endorsing evangelical feminism. Most conservative baptist are complementarian. I had no idea I was partnering with people who was receiving food from Roman Catholics to do food ministry. I had no idea that the local pastor who was to mentor me was endorsing people who are oneness modalist. Endorsing a woman who calls herself a prophetess (Juanita Bynum).

On my discovery and speaking the truth in love. I departed. My line of thinking and reasoning is that we are to uphold the truth.

Hey GB,
    Christ is the standard of righteousness that I can never attain to. And friend there's no hard feelings on part. I'm not bitter over this. I'm looking to fellowship with like minded people doctrinally. That's what drew to the website.

Peace be unto you.

Squire:

It's a pleasure. Oh, I'm originally from Santa Ana Ca. Did some ministry in Alameda and West Oakland. Where's Salada at? NorCal Central, SoCal?

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the surface that seems kinda dishonest. You don't just put the positive experiences on your resume do you? I would put it on and then explain with a cover letter of some type.

What was the extent of the patnership. If you were hungry would you care were the food came from? Roman Catholic PEOPLE aren't the "enemy", I reserve that role for Satan.

Defined how, women serving as pastor's and deacons or another level all together with the whole Sophia thing?

11. BaptistXenos

BaptistXenos New Member

Dear Go 2 Church,

Resume - Granted the interview I would articulate the bad experiences and what took place. Placing the poor experience with what happened is no big deal to me. I have the integrity to tell about the bad and the good. My intent is not to deceive. And I have sent out several resumes with the name of the local church and the local denomination on them. Maybe explaining in a cover letter's a better way to go about. Perhaps I should have stated that in clear conscience listing these people on a resume isn't something I'm pleased about doing.

Food from the RC's. - It's true that it shouldn't matter where the food comes from in one sense, as we have pagans and cultist in grocery stores, gas stations, etc. Both the out and out endorsement of unbiblical theology and not pointing out its inconsistency just seemed like an interfaith, ecumenical hogwash. And yes there were involvement with inter-faith (unbiblical like Mormons, JW's interfaith not denominations)that just didn't sit well with me. So I really saw the food supply as another link in a corroded chain.

And I know there are some christians that believe RC's are christians. There's a lively debate between James White and Doug Wilson on this issue as well. I'm not saying that's where you are coming from but I'm making this statement because I have a struggle when we don't qualify where we are coming from biblically or theologically so that we can say we doing a "ministry" for the kingdom's sake and don't qualify whose kingdom.

The extent of the partnership was church planting. The denom was to oversee the process, training the me in the area of church planting. Which included an assessment, basic training. Helping me connect with a local church as a sponsor.

Let me say again, I don't have all the answers I just want to walk in a way that's pleasing to the Lord.

Evangelical Feminism.

Women pastors, the endorsement of a woman calling herself a prophetess. Sophia? Could you enlighten me on that one friend?

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear BaptistXenos,
    I awaited your answer because I did not want to help staff a church with a KJVO type as they tend to carry not only that baggage with them but other extra biblical ideas as well.
    Now for the help.

go to :
    www.churchlist.info
    www.pastorstaff.com
    Also SBCJobsearch (type that in your search window & you will find it)
    Also Baptistlist Pastorless Churches, same way.

Good luck and God Bless.

13. BaptistXenos

BaptistXenos New Member

Plain Old Bill,

Thank you. And you know what thanks for your clarification. Also, I have a friend who teaches at a bible institution that says while he only uses the KJV he's not KJVO. I try to remain open realistically. Again thank you.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

BaptistXenos:

You can easily put that church on your resume. What you might state in a sentence or two following is not to name the bad exeriences but what you learned from that experience. Do the same thing with each place of employment and church. Virtually everyone has had a bad experience and sometimes several. The people who do nothing are always liked by those who want to chew the fat and do nothing.

I had a terible experience at a church. At times I thought I was going to fall apart. Eventually they asked me to leave. They were a church so full of poison and judgment. To add to that they were so full of heretical teaching and a poor example in the community. I had never seen such poor testimony among the leaders. Put it this way I had one deacon who had an altercation with a youth. That same deacon had thrown a car battery through the front window of the local auto parts place. A number of the deacons thought the local Mormon bishop was a believer and thought I should invite him to preach. However they did let him preach when at other times it was beyond my control. But when I left within a few days I had a call from a much larger and a very good church. Before I left the denomination aksed me if I would consider doing student work. Even some of the local pastors tried to help me. I was selected to give the sermon at the annual association meeting. Once I was the camp pastor at a youth conference. Getting fired or having a bad experience can be a good thing. If you list that church and they inquire about it and find out that it is indeed a poor church they will trust you. If you do not mention it and they find out, it looks like you are trying to hide something. Be truthful and upfront. If he next church cannot appreciate that then you shouldn't be there. Trsut God for where you might go.

Many years ago I was working in business and was terminated as a manager. I had built the branch to be the fastest growing branch in the company. But the company was bought out. It was a first time for me and I was very angry with the new company. When I went to interview for the next job they asked me about why I was terminated. Later I found out they knew about me and what happened within the company. I didn't know them but they knew some about me before I came. I think it was through customers. I was hired. They wanted to see if I would be honest with them.

Don't spend any time on the bad experiences but emphasize what you learned when they ask. I would not bring up the church unless they ask.

Since God is God, then let Him be God and watch Him work.

15. BaptistXenos

BaptistXenos New Member

GB,

I thank you for the advice. Paul was right when he stated that we endure is for the encouragement of others (my paraphrase for 2 Corinthians Chapter 1)

And I'm intent on being open and upfront, about failures, faults of my own. Not just exposing errors.

I'm heeding your advice my friend. And soliciting your prayers as well. And the prayers of others as well.

This is very rhetorical, but I must ask. What is it with some of our churches and this ecumenism and lately this mormon stuff?

There's even an entity out there called Baptist-Mormons. Can you believe it?

Anyway thanks for the direction it will definitely be taken to heart.

Sincerely,

BX

16. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

How about the standard of a pastor first in 2 Timothy 2:24-26. Do you actually expose all error and compromise in your own life? If you do not, then you are not exposing your own sin first. And you are wanting to expose the sins of others first? Remember you are the leader not the judge.

How about that same standard when you are not in the pulpit? You may have tried, but you will never even meet the standard you say you try to live by perfectly. The problem is that there is only one person who qualifies to meet that standard. His name is Jesus. But if you would like to see how far you get with it, you might go to a country where there is persecution.

Jesus never called us to be a militant fundamentalist. He called us to be a radical Christian. If you want to try your hand at that then go to a country where Christians are being persecuted.

Humility goes a long way. When you go to another country where the Christians are facing persecution then you might get a real dose of where you really are in your judgment of yourself first. From what I read you think quite highly of yourself.

1 Thess 5:14, "We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone."

2 Tim 2:24-26, "The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will."

Has your trouble been any worse then Moses? Any worse than Jesus? Any worse than Joseph in the OT?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Are you speaking ex cathedra?