1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Help; Maybe!?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by just-want-peace, Feb 22, 2002.

1. KEVO

KEVO Guest

Bro. Glen, thanks, I will check that out.

2. KJVTIM

KJVTIM New Member

Proverbs 17:3

The fining pot is for silver,and the furance for gold:but the Lord trieth the hearts.

Everyone think of your motive before you write.

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Well, somebody's lying. Why?

Not only that, but the profiles are nearly identical, including being in ALL CAPS. Posting times are grouped together as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if the IP addresses matched. Somebody needs to come clean, especially if he/they want to be taken at least a little bit seriously. :(

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I am not a Bible corrector. I do detest false doctrine and when someone promotes it, I speak up against it. Your testimony of being recently saved is great. I love to hear that. Now I would encourage you to get in the Word and get yourself under a good man to learn doctrine. It will prevent you from making this kinds of mistakes as you progress in your ministry.

This is what is so frustrating about the KJVOnly movement. They refuse to accept sound doctrine and heap to themselves teachers who will tell them what they want to hear.

Additionally, the fact that you would lie about your identity to "test the scholars" shows a gross lack of integrity and character. My suspicion was that had no one caught it, you would have allowed it to go on uncorrected. That is a serious character flaw and needs to be corrected before you get anywhere near the ministry. Call it overreacting if you wish but you deliberately misrepresented yourself and that is an act with no integrity and that is the prime qualification for a pastor.

[ March 27, 2002, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

5. Forever settled in heaven

6. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Sounds like an interesting book. The review says this:"The English translation commissioned by James I and completed in 1611 is distinguished in two ways, according to McGrath. It's important to historians and theologians because it put Scripture into the hands of ordinary people. It holds an equally key position in the literary canon as one of the most poetic, haunting works in the English language."

Ironically, these two distinguishing features are the reasons that the KJV no longer "puts Scripture into the hands of ordinary people", but instead is a block to God's word for most modern readers. :(

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

tyndale1946 said:

Book alert for those who love the KJV... In The Beginning. The story of the King James Bible and how it changed a Nation, a Language, and a Culture by Alister McGrath... Just picked it up and it looks good...

I bought this book about a year ago (more or less); I can affirm that it is very good, probably the best single book I have seen so far on the history of the Authorized Version. McGrath does a superb job handling the history of the English Bible up to the KJV, the politics that impelled its publication, and its reception and literary influence after its printing.

However, I do think the literary influence of the KJV is debatable. I tend toward C. S. Lewis' view that the supposed influence is of the Bible in general, not the Authorized Version in particular.

All in all, though, a worthy addition to any Bible student's library.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Point taken, but I've had my share of laughter at guys on your side of the aisle too, friend :D

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okay, now we have one apparently using two different member names to have a mutual admiration society. This has gone past obsurd. This topic is closed.