1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Inclusive Language In The ESV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?:

Now, a little food for thought:

I Sam. 2:18-19
    But Samuel ministered before the LORD, being a child, girded with a linen ephod. Moreover his mother made him a little coat, and brought it to him from year to year, when she came up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Samuel was a prophet/priest in training. Though just a boy at the time, he was nevertheless a male. (Needless to say -but I said it anyway.)

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Gender gender gender...it's becoming an obsession. See?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go away kid. Ya' bother me.

You're doing the nah,nah,nah routine a bit too often.

5. preacher4truth

That would describe you, who I'd guess is at least in his 50's, yes?

My point is being solidified, you yet again talk of gender. You're obsessed with gender. Perhaps you should get on the next NIV committee, yes?

Let's see; You're offline, I post a comment in reply to you, then immediately you're online with a pugnacious remark.

In closing, and as to not respond again to your prattle, learn to attack the issues instead of, as is typical with you, attacking persons with your snide comments. Then, after this, remember, it's not "righteous" anger that you're expressing, it's just plain anger, a work of the flesh, which is why you attack a peron instead of an issue. See that?

The NIV is to me a nominal version, as to many others. Deal with it.

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

What about the NASB?
    Among major English it appears to the least amount of "inclusive gender renderings!"

7. JesusFan

What do you think of either NASB/KJVV, among LEAST gender issues versions?

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're a hypocrite.

Well,it doesn't qualify as nominal as I explained before. But go ahead,reinvent meanings of words as is your custom.

9. preacher4truth

You missed the spacebar a couple of times up there scholar. Perhaps your anger caused you to miss that?

First of all, my initial post was no attack on any person, but merely my take on the NIV, that it is a nominal version, which is a correct statement. Your allegiance to a version, and your defense and idolization of a version, which is quite KJVO in nature has caused you to behave badly.

In your first response to my post you came back with a snide comment, and a subtle slander of a person. Then an attack of character in another post, all due to one not liking your pet version. This is continued, yet again as you resort to name-calling as above. It looks like the version you're using hasn't helped you too much with behavior modification. Perhaps you should switch versions, as maybe you're not grasping Christian conduct within its pages? You have seen within its pages things concerning name-calling, slander, and self-control, correct? Things you'd preach to the Chinese and others to practice, correct? Why not do so yourself?

Furthermore, you got the first "sic" correct. The latter? Not so much. Practice comprehension skills more closely.

#29 preacher4truth, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011
  10. JesusFan

Now we need to have KJVO/NIVO board to post into here?

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No,your first statement claimed that the 2011 NIV was gender-obsessed. You made your "nominal" remark in a later post.

I have defended it against lies. I do not idolize it. You are lying again.Your idolization charge is contemptible. All versions are imperfect. Instead of telling falsehoods--live up to your name preacher.

I have consistently said that the 2011 NIV is in need of revision. I think it is the best all-around English translation. Yet I have made numerous suggestions for improvement to a member of the translation team. However, I will not let you or anyone else slide by with slander.

See above.

Your grammatically-challenged sentence was:"The NIV is to me a nominal version,as to many others."

A better sentence would be:"The NIV is a nominal version as many others also believe."

Feel free to use my revision of your sentence as a basis for more nonsense.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 4:7

ESV : Have nothing to do with irreverent,silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness.

NIV 2011 : Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales;rather,train yourself to be godly.

[Greek:the godless and old wifely myths]