1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Some people around here need to learn respect

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jan 11, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that BW liked this post. 80-90% of BW's actions are an attack on me. Frankly I did not understand your post, but if BW liked it it certainly must be an attack on me.

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply trying to be age-appropriate for its intended audience. ;)

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very simple! You call attention to a lack of respect for you by many on this board, and I can agree with the argument you make - to an extent. In fact I have started to back up several of your posts in the past, but for some reason did not follow through. I can only attribute this fact to the guiding of God.
    Following more comments by others and your replies, I have come to the conclusion that your only reason to post these "We/you/this board need to ----" posts was to stir up some controversy.

Whether true or not, this is my conclusion after encountering several of this type thread you have created.

SO, if you are as concerned about respect as you portray, heal yourself; IE: YOU start the process, and if you prove sincere, then others will follow!

If all you do is get snarky with someone who is snarky with you, you have just proved that you cannot do what you chastise others for not doing.

Hope this explains it.:)

PS: There is NOTHING in this post intended to be disrespectful toward you; just an elaboration of my comment that, by your own admission, you did not understand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Rolf I think you will appreciate this. I read the conclusion of your post as "ROFL 53 minutes ago" lol

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, evan said that the member (you) "has been treated like dirt around here." Would you characterize it like that?

6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dislexic free-associative humor. Laugh

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go chase a rabbit.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you wonder why... oh, never mind.

• Like Like x 2
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When was the last time I gave Jon C a rabbit? It's been a while and for good reason as he does not treat me like dirt.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sound as if your silly Rabbits are some type of fitting punishment wisely meted out by a righteous judge. The truth is that it is your Christianese way of telling someone off.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I picked up a new book on Kindle today for less than a dollar.
    It provides some methods Christians should not use to argue a point.

"Uncharitably denigrating other positions. This includes both the proponents and their arguments. Rhetoric such as ad hominem and cutting, unkind, derogatory ridicule has no place in Christian argumentation— especially as a characteristic tendency (cf. 2 Tim 2: 24– 26). Pragmatically, such rhetoric offends rather than persuades those who hold different views. Respect and graciousness should characterize Christian conversations and debates. Intramural arguments among Christians are not between merely fellow human beings whom God created in his image but brothers and sisters “for whom Christ died” (Rom 14: 15; 1 Cor 8: 11). Perspectives on the Extent of the Atonement: 3 Views (2015). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition."

Begin with yourself.
    Restrain yourself from posting words that demean and insult others.
    Forgive others that are weak and unable to restrain themselves.
    Examine your posts when you write them and delete unchristian remarks - liberally use the opportunity to edit.
    If things get too hot for you - leave the thread.
    There are many people here that need our prayers.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why have you done it in the first place with anyone?

Disagreeing with you does not equate with treating you like dirt.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, it is not how I have been treated that matters. I am a grown man, and as far as I know I do not know anyone here personally (although there are several here I would like to know better). Insults and attack does not bother me. It is being in an environment where some who call themselves Christian seek to insult, degrade, and personally attack people. Debate is objective, not subjective and personal attack.

So to answer your question, yes, I have been treated inappropriately (many have) but that is not the issue. The issue is whether the fellowship and "iron sharpening iron" (the benefits and blessings) of this board warrant the often unchristian environment and insults under the guise of debate.

How often, Rippon, have you seen theology legitimately debated (both parties objectively walking through each view, weighing anew both via Scripture)? How often have you seen "iron sharpening iron" in brotherly love, humbly working together with gentleness and patience?

How often have you seen professing Christians go out of their way to attack, demean, and insult someone who holds a different theory or theology? How many times have people dismissed the dialogue to attack the person? How often do you see people dogmatically forwarding a theory they are unwilling and unable to defend, so they sling mud and cloud the water with insults to change the topic?

#33 JonC, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither does offering unpleasant or inconvenient advice when it is solicited.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that is a first ... you made a wise crack instead of a grammar correction.you are multidimensional after all.Roflmao

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wisecrack is one word. You need to use a capital letter of the first word when you start a sentence.

There, I'm back in classic form.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scripture study at church tonight was Genesis 26, emphasizing the last half of the chapter. Isaac and his flocks, and herds, and servants, were mightier than those they lived among, and could have easily conquered; but when asked to move away, he did. When he re-dug the wells, they laid claim to the water and told him to move on--and he did. And then he built an altar and gave praise to God; and Abimelech and his people took notice, and came to make peace with Isaac. And Isaac entered into an oath with them, and remained peaceful with them.

There's a LOT there that applies to all of us. Isaac was treated like crap, but didn't tell them to chase rabbits. He exemplified the peace of God. Abimelech, who allowed his people to treat Isaac like crap, a king over his people, humbled himself to this outsider.

Yes, I've over-simplified somewhat, and paraphrased quite a bit. Just my thoughts late on Wednesday night.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't want you any other way, Annoying is your middle name, correcting others is your game!

19. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should cross-post that in the poetry thread.
    Biggrin

20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They say I'm a poet, because my feet are "Longfellow's!" Roflmao

• Like Like x 1