1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Queries For KJV Proponents

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And as we saw in Chronicles, many use the KJV to show that the Bible has errors and is untrustworthy.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree - it's obvious that you will rationalize away any evidence that shows you in error.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Insanity is not using my ignore button like I should against 1 Cor 5:11 types.

Grace and peace!

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbs: :thumbs:

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That shoe comes in your size also.:smilewinkgrin:

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

That 1st Corinthians 5:11 verse is certainly misused against me here.

1 Cor 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Calling someone who prefers the KJV an idolator is a pretty serious charge.

I found this article from D. A. Waite on those who actually do deify the KJV. I agree with what he says here. For one thing, I have always said that I believe the KJV to be the accurate word of God in English. I have never believed that the word of God cannot be accurately translated into other languages, in fact, I think it should be. I have even said that if someone were to modernize the KJV and substitute modern words for the archaic words, as long as they are accurate and do not change the meaning of a verse or passage I have no problem with that. That said, I like the KJV just the way it is and would probably not go out and buy one, but maybe.

Anyway, as I said, I am in agreement with D. A. Waite here and my views have always been very similar to his.

Here is the article.

http://www.deanburgonsociety.org/KJBible/deification.htm

7. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious as to what you think of the NKJV? And why?

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

I've never seen one. I have read articles that are very critical of it.

9. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I wondered how long it would take you to reach this conclusion. When people run circles around the truth and deny what is being told to them as the truth, when it is, sometimes you just have to shake the dust. You know what I mean.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is just another example of the fact that you have not taken the time to actually study things out on your own. You need to do some personal investigation.

The NKJV is not in my top 10 favorite list -- but there is no question that it is theologically sound -- and based pretty much on the TR as the KJV is primarily based upon.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a load of fertilizer! Other versions (not counting cultic ones) did not come about because the translators didn't like the doctrines found in the KJV -- you're spilling garbage.

Absolute bunkum. Have you ever read Acts 8:36 and 38, even in the KJV? Why do you say such nonsensical things so much of the time?

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormons spend very little of their witnessing time citing passages from the book of Mormon. That's because it doesn't support Mormon doctrines. The book of Mormon teaches that there is only one God, that the Trinity is one, that God is unchanging and God is Spirit among other things.

Are you sure you spent that much quality time with Mormons?!

The biblical doctrines of historic Christianity are the same in both the KJV and NIV. There is no way you can maintain the complete fabrication that the NIV and the NWT have any such kinship. Try telling the truth Winman.

You are edging close to violating BB rules.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't know what you are talking about -- whether the subject is Calvinism, Bible translations or Mormonism.

The book of Mormon does not support Mormon doctrine! Mormons support their doctrine with The Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl Of Great Price. Then they try to use the KJV in a deceptive manner to lend some authenticity to their claims.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV revisers did as well as they could with what they had available to them in the last century and a half scholars have been blessed with much more access to older manuscripts and documents.

You honestly want to hold on to your ignorance is bliss principle? You really don't want to study the subject? You are content to rest on your laurels and let KJVO authors of the past and present give their inane arguments for your support?

The KJV did not come as a bolt out of the blue. You know it stems back to William Tyndale's work. He was the first to put the New Testament into English from the Greek. How can you not have any thought on the matter? How can you depend so much on your ignorance as a crutch? You have to know that the KJV words (from whichever KJV you have) had to be based on something earlier. The longer you speak in the dark on the matter your words will come from the shadows.

You are treading on thin ice Bub.BB rules are not yours to disregard. Calling those not in favor with the KJVO position does not mean we come under the purview of 2 Timothy 3:7.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To compare the doctrines of the JW's and Mormonism to that of Calvinism is to show how sunfully low you will stoop. Shame should cross your face -- but as we know -- some are incapable of even blushing.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd like to see where anyone who said that someone who PREFERS the KJV is an idolator. It is those who say that the KJV is the only valid Word of God to the English speaking people who are idolators.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

But Calvinism is built on proof texts just like the JWs. The Mormons are somewhat different, they have the book of Mormon.

Hey, I believe Calvinism is total error and very unscriptural. I have been debating here against Calvinism for months and have provided literally dozens, if not hundreds of scriptures that in my opinion clearly contradict it. I am not ashamed whatsoever and have no reason to be, I am telling what I believe to be the truth from the scriptures.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I believe the KJV is the only accurate word of God in English, so in your opinion that would be idolatry. Of course, you neglect to consider the possibility I could be corrct.

But one thing no one here can say, the KJV and the MVs are not the same, they differ in many verses and passages and often convey a different meaning. I demonstrated that with the example of John 7:8.

Here is a verse from the KJV and NIV which contradict each other.

KJV-

Colossians 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

NIV-

Colossians 2:18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions.

I don't know how you are going to get around this one, the KJV clearly says these persons intrude into those things they have not seen, while the NIV says they have seen these things. That is a direct contradiction.

So, this is yet another example of where the KJV and MVs do not agree and are clearly not saying the same thing and convey a different meaning. In this verse the KJV and MVs actually contradict each other.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Not really a contradiction. People are claiming to "see" things that they have not seen. The "not" is questionable based on the mss. Amazing what 5 minutes of easily done research can do if you are willing to do it.

20. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh my goodness! You sound CATHOLIC with an answer like that! That's ridiculous, and you, I, and anyone with common sense knows better. As a mere observer of these posts, I'd have to say Winman has made a clear case for the KJV and MV's being different and saying different things! You all try to "explain" it, and are failing.

It has been my stand from the beginning, and continues to be so, that..........the KJV and MV's DO NOT SAY THE SAME THING! Picking which one YOU want to read is completely YOUR choice. I will not ridicule, bash, claim you aren't saved, etc., if you read another version. However, after struggling, praying, reading everything I could from BOTH sides for more YEARS than I should have, I believe the KJV is the most accurate version of Scripture today.

#80 Baptist4life, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.