1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Snippets From The Passion Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by RipponRedeaux, Sep 5, 2021.

1. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This particular Bible version came up in a recent BB discussion. TPT is a work by Brian Simmons. Sometimes his wife, Candice is mentioned as a co-worker of this 'Bible Translation.' I don't regard it as a legitimate translation anymore than I would view The Message as a Bible translation and several other so-called versions.

I do not recommend this work. I am merely giving you the flavor of certain snips, not entire verses. Besides his verses are usually much, much longer than standard Bible translations.

Snips from Romans. I just have a few examples. I will give more at a later time.

8:15 : And you did not receive the 'spirit of religious duty,' leading you back into the fear of never being good enough.
    8:28 : for we are his lovers

Ephesians
    1:3 : he sees us wrapped into Christ. This is why we celebrate him with all our hearts!
    1:5 : to adopt us as his delightful children
    1:14 : He is given to us like an engagement ring
    2:10 : We have become his poetry
    2:15 : His triune essence
    3:19 : How enduring and inclusive it is!
    4:18 : Their corrupted logic has been clouded
    4:19 : Because of spiritual apathy
    4:21 : heard his truth
    4:22 : let go of the lifestyle of the ancient man
    4:26 : But don't let the passions of your emotions

2. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have reviewed (in the last 30 or so minutes) TPT's treatment of Romans I was impressed. I was both surprised and appreciative. Sure, there were times that I thought things were not up to par, but over all, it's quite good. Many of you may not agree. You can check it out for yourselves. A few of my displeasures are in the way 12:1,2 and 16:1 have been handled. And 5:17 which has "by the blunder of one man."

I like the extensive explanatory footnotes. It's not on the level of the NET Bible, but it has a generous supply of explanations. Within the footnotes you'd probably prefer the alternatives found there and wish it appeared in the text instead.

It is tiresome to see "non-Jew" in the text constantly. The word Gentile(s) could have easily been put in the text, with a note --to largely new or unbelievers informing them that it means non-Jewish.

#2 RipponRedeaux, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  3. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read the first five chapters of John in TMT. Here are some of my complaints.

1:3 : and through his creative inspiration
    1:11 : He came to the people he created
    1:12 : those who embraced him and took hold of his name
    1:23 : I am an urgent, thunderous voice
    1:26 : I baptize people in this river
    4:25 : This is all so confusing
    4:50 : Jesus looked him in the eyes

Mister Simmons took liberties with those additions to the text. I don't know why he choses to use "embrace" instead of 'believed.' The word 'embrace' or 'embraced' is used frequently.

Instead of discussing the particulars here, I'll let you air your thoughts regarding the extras he uses in the text. If there are no comments, I will relate my thoughts at another time.

The word "Logos" can be translated many different ways in English aside from "The Word." But it is a jolt coming across "The Living Expression" in chapter 1.

I liked the rendering in 2:16 : Don't you dare commercialize my Father's house!

When Simmons is good he reminds me of the way Robert Mounce translated the Gospels with his book "Jesus, In His Own Words." When Simmons slips up ---not so much.

4. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here I will cite some problems with the way the book of Galatians is handled by Simmons. A lot of extras were added to the text, ostensibly to explain and elaborate. However, that is not the job of a translator, but that of a Bible commentary.

Simmons usually puts the extras in a different typeface alerting readers that it wasn't in the original text. He's not walking a fine line, but going over the line in adding the extras to the biblical text. He tries to help Paul along by explaining things. So it ends up being something other than a straight translation.

Again, these are only snips from the verses, not entire verses.

1:17 : where I first encountered Jesus
    1:24 : Because of the transformation that took place in my life
    2:4 : Their agenda was to bring us back into the bondage of religion
    2:5 : we did not submit to their religious shackles
    2:10 : he caused the believers to stumble over his behavior
    2:16 : the keeping of religious laws
    2:17 [It's a word salad.]
    2:18 : For if I start over and reconstruct the old religious system
    2:20 : My old identity...the essence of this new life...who loves me so much...dispensing his life into mine!

In Galatians he stops using "non-Jews" and uses the common word found in most Bible translations --"gentiles."

Verse 2:19 is straightforward, with no frills --
    "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God."

Although I wonder why he chose "to" instead of "for."

5. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continuing in Galatians with some translational problems :

3:24 : so that we would be saved by faith
    [more correctly --that we might be justified by faith ---or declared righteous]

4:7 : we can access everything our Father has

5:9 : when you allow even a little lie into your heart, it can permeate your entire belief system.
    [what became of the yeast that that works through the entire batch of dough]

5:12 : I wish they would go even further and cut off their legalistic influence from your lives!
    [Paul spoke more plainly with strong sarcasm]

5:13 : an excuse to set up a base of operations in the natural realm
    [I think Simmons is using excuses not to translate more faithfully here]

5:16 : yield to the dynamic life and power of the Holy Spirit, you will abandon the cravings of your self-life.

5:17 : you hinter him from living free within you!

5:26 : each of us is an original

6:4 : not in being affirmed by others

6:8 : the corrupt seeds of self-life

6:14 : the natural realm is dead to me and no longer dominates my life.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    A true translation should not be a platform to express your own agenda. I had said earlier that Simmons was pretty good in Romans. But in Galatians, he is too loose. He wants to put his verbal skills on display. He is too comfortable in adding to the text when he so desires. The translator should not call attention to their own own distinctive qualities, or in his case --eccentricities.

• Informative Informative x 1