1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Spurgeon

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.spurgeon.org/calvinis.htm

Here for those who like to quote Spurgeon:thumbs:

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

I have loved God most of my known life before knowing God through Jesus Christ., from the words of Jesus.

That God loved the world no limitation that He sent His Son, not that it will be saved (universalism).

I loved Him because He first loved me, by grace, I didn't do nothing for Jesus to be sent for me.

At my age that I heard that message maybe seven or eight I didn't understand the Son part, but I did understand the love part, the Creator of the Universe loved me.

I use to talk to God all the time asking God to make me superman so I can change the world. God didn't but at eleven He introduced me to Jesus and showed I needed a savior not to be a savior. Jesus has been changing me ever since, so yes God did love me, the world, a wicked sinner, not righteous, not seeking Him, but He sought me through His messengers before I was even existed that He loved me that He sent His Son, that whosoever believes(the elect) in Him will not perish but have ever lasting life.

The world is not limited that He sent His son, but those who will be saved is and they will be like the sands of the sea shore so to us it is an amount that we can't count them. No human building will contain them all.

1 Peter 1:
    8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy,9for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.10 Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, 11 trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow. 12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

#3 psalms109:31, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
  4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

To the above post 'Oh boy'.

The thing is Scripture says we were all lost at enmity with God &c, and Ephesians 2:3 expresses it this way '...even as the rest.' These indictments are upon all men.

But I see one has slipped through the cracks of eternal truth here. A real maverick. :thumbs:

I'm certain there will be more who will state their case against the revelation of truth. Such is status quo these days. When you get the state of man, self, and of sin wrong, the rest that comes along the pike is also erroneous.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Not to change the subject---but some time ago I toured through London---and made a stopover at Metropolitan Tabernacle----had the tour guide fill me in on a few things about the church building

IN the late 1800's there was a fire that destroyed much of the building---this was after Spurgeon had died----then the building was bombed by the Luftwaffe in 1940's----leaving only the front foyer area unscathed

The building was originally built to hold about 6,000---and was rebuilt in the '50's(it took a while for the war debris to be removed after the war) to only seat around 1,000----I believe it is Peter Winters who pastors there now

6. Herald

Herald New Member

7. psalms109:31

1 Timothy 2

New International Version (NIV)
    Instructions on Worship

2 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time. 7 And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying —and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.

"What then? Shall we try to put another meaning into the text than that which it fairly bears? I trow not. You must, most of you, be acquainted with the general method in which our older Calvinistic friends deal with this text. "All men," say they,—"that is, some men": as if the Holy Ghost could not have said "some men" if he had meant some men. "All men," say they; "that is, some of all sorts of men": as if the Lord could not have said "all sorts of men" if he had meant that. The Holy Ghost by the apostle has written "all men," and unquestionably he means all men. I know how to get rid of the force of the "alls" according to that critical method which some time ago was very current, but I do not see how it can be applied here with due regard to truth. I was reading just now the exposition of a very able doctor who explains the text so as to explain it away; he applies grammatical gunpowder to it, and explodes it by way of expounding it. I thought when I read his exposition that it would have been a very capital comment upon the text if it had read, "Who will not have all men to be saved, nor come to a knowledge of the truth." Had such been the inspired language every remark of the learned doctor would have been exactly in keeping, but as it happens to say, "Who will have all men to be saved," his observations are more than a little out of place. My love of consistency with my own doctrinal views is not great enough to allow me knowingly to alter a single text of Scripture. I have great respect for orthodoxy, but my reverence for inspiration is far greater. I would sooner a hundred times over appear to be inconsistent with myself than be inconsistent with the word of God. I never thought it to be any very great crime to seem to be inconsistent with myself; for who am I that I should everlastingly be consistent? But I do think it a great crime to be so inconsistent with the word of God that I should want to lop away a bough or even a twig from so much as a single tree of the forest of Scripture. God forbid that I should cut or shape, even in the least degree, any divine expression. So runs the text, and so we must read it, "God our Savior; who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.""

C. H. Spurgeon

2 Timothy 4:3
    For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

1 Timothy 1:15
    Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

Luke 6 :
    27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Matthew 9:13
    But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Matthew 12:7
    If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent.

#7 psalms109:31, Jun 9, 2012
  8. psalms109:31

1 Peter 1:
    12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

The above verse says so much. What a pearl!

John 6:63
    The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.

1 Peter 1:23
    For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

#8 psalms109:31, Jun 9, 2012