1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Textual Varians In Mark

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you honestly think I would have neglected the Gospels?

I'll be citing snips of info from Philip Comfort's book on New Testament textual criticism.

1:14 : WH NU : the gospel of God
    var/TR : the gospel of the kingdom of God

Comfort says the variant is a scribal harmonization. "TR,followed by KJV and NKJV,typically incorporated such harmonizations." (p.95)

2:2 : WH NU : many were gathered together
    var/TR : immediately many were gathered together

"...the documentary evidence strongly favors its [immediately] exclusion." (p.99)

5:13 : WH NU : and he allowed them
    var/TR : and immediately Jesus allowed them

The WH NU has good documentary support. The TR reading is an expansion. (p.110)

6:11a : WH NU : whatever place does not welcome you
    var/TR : whoever does not welcome you

"The textual evidence and context affirm the reading that designates the place ('a house')as rejecting the disciples,not the people who rejected them." (p.113)

6:11b : WH NU : for a testimony to them
    var/TR : for a testimony to them. Truly I say to you,'It will be more tolerable for Sodom or Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that city.'

"The WH NU reading has early and diverse documentary support. The expanded reading is unquestionably a scribal interpolation taken almost verbatim from the parallel passage,Matt 10:15." (p.114)

7:8 : WH NU : you hold to the traditions of men
    var/TR : you hold to the traditions of men --the washing of pitchers and cups --and many other such things you do

"WH NU are backed by early and diverse manuscripts.The variant is the result of scribal expansion..." (p.120)

7:16 : WH NU : omit verse
    var/TR : If any one has ears to hear,let him hear

"The WH NU reading has the earliest support among the manuscripts. The extra verse was added by scribes,...to provide an ending to an otherwise very short pericope." (p.121)

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Textual Variants In Mark

9:24 : WH NU : the father of the child cried out
    var/TR : the father of the child cried out with tears

"The WH NU reading has superior testimony than that of the variant. The variant reading is likely the result of scribal coloring,which found its way into TR,followed by KJV and NKJV." (p.130)

"...Had the words 'and fasting' been in their exemplars,there is no good reason to explain why these scribes would have deleted them...In any event,the words 'and fasting' were probably added by scribes who were influenced by the early church's emphasis on fasting...The KJV tradition retains the longer text,followed by NKJV and HCSB (set in brackets). (p.130)

9:33 : WH NU : they came to Capernaum
    var/TR : he [Jesus] came into Capernaum

"The WH NU reading,which has early and diverse testimony,was followed by all modern versions. The variant in TR (followed by KJV and NKJV) is a typical scribal alteration in the Gospels to focus the narrative on Jesus alone." (p.131)

10:21 : WH NU : come,follow me
    var/TR : come,follow me,taking up the cross

"The WH NU reading has superior testimony among early and diverse manuscripts." (p.137,138)

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    10:24 : WH NU : how difficult it is to enter the kingdom of God
    var/TR : how difficult it is for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God

"The context warrants the validity of the exegesis,but textual criticism does not warrant the addition because the documentary evidence strongly supports the shorter reading." (p.138)

10:34 : WH NU : after three days he will rise again
    var/TR : on the third day he will rise again

"The documentary evidence strongly supports the WH NU reading..." (p.139,140)

11:19 : WH NU : they went out of the city
    var/TR : he went out of the city

"According to good textual evidence,Jesus and his disciples departed from the city." (p.141)

11:26 : WH NU : omit verse
    var/TR : But if you do not forgive,neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses

"The WH NU reading has much better documentation than the variant...verse 26 is a natural scribal expansion of verse 25...The extra verse is included in TR,followed by KJV,NKJV,as well as by NASB and HCSB,which persist in maintaining the KJV tradition. It is noted in modern versions out of deference to the KJV tradition." (p.142)

12:4 : WH NU : and they struck that one on the head and treated him shamefully
    var/TR : and throwing stones,they struck that one in the head and they sent him away,shamefully treated

"The WH NU reading has early and diverse support among the manuscripts." (p.142)

12:23 : TR NU : in the resurrection,when they will rise
    var/WH : in the resurrection

"The manuscript evidence overwhelmingly supports the shorter text." (p.143)

12:30-31 : WH NU : this [is]the second
    var/TR : this is the first commandment;and the second is like it

"The WH NU reading has substantial testimony and is the shorter reading." (p.144)

To be concluded tomorrow.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    13:11 : WH NU : do not worry beforehand what you might say
    var/TR : do not worry beforehand what you might say neither meditate

"The WH reading has superior attestation,both early and diverse. The variant is a harmonization to Luke 21:14,a parallel passage. It was included in TR,and so KJV and NKJV." (p.146)

13:14 : WH NU : the abomination of desolation
    var/TR : the abomination of desolation,that which was spoken through Daniel the prophet

"The WH NU reading has the earliest documentary support...The expansion in the variant is a verbatim harmonization to Matt 24;15. Throughout the course of textual transmission,many gospel harmonizations in Mark and Luke were made to be in accord with Matthew,the primary gospel." (p.147)

14:19 : WH NU : Surely,not I?
    var/TR : Surely,not I? And another [said],Surely, not I?

"The WH NU reading is strongly supported by the earliest and best manuscripts." Comfort goes on to say that the TR variant sought to "intensify the drama of the moment by having one disciple,then another,(and so on),ask if he was the betrayer." (p.148)

14:24a : WH NU : my blood of the covenant
    var/TR : my blood of the new covenant

"The addition of 'new' to 'covenant' is a late,Byzantine expansion..." (p.149)

14:27 : WH NU : Every one [of you] will stumble
    var/TR : Every one [of you] will stumble because of me during this night

"The WH NU reading has excellent testimony and the shortest of all the readings. The expansions are the result of scribal harmonization...This reading found its way into TR and was popularized by KJV and NKJV.' (p.150)

15:28 : WH NU : omit verse
    var/TR : And the Scripture was fulfilled that says,He was counted among the lawless

"The documentary evidence decisively shows that this verse was not present in any Greek manuscript prior to the late sixth century...The verse is retained in KJV and NKJV,as well as in NASB and HCSB,which usually follow KJV with respect to keeping verses in the text --in contrast to all other modern versions." (p.154)

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is for the benefit of Amy and friends.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another example of copyists trying to make the Gospel accounts a little bit clearer (in their estimation).

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are some more examples I have furnished for Amy &Co. to show the tendency of the TR and the Majority Text to harmonize.