1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Textual Variants in 1 Corinthians

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on Philip W.Comfort's book :New Testament Text And Translation Commentary.

3:4
    WH NU : are you not humans?
    var/TR : are you not carnal?

"The WH NU reading has early and diverse manuscript support.The variant is a scribal emendation..." (p.489)

5:1
    WH NU : such fornication as [is] not even among the Gentiles
    var/TR : such fornication as is not even names among the Gentiles

"The WH NU reading has early and diverse testimony." He goes on to say that the TR is supported by later manuscripts in the 7th and 9th centuries. (p.492)

6:20
    WH NU : glorify God in your body
    var/TR : glorify God in your body and in your spirit,which are God's

"The expanded reading shows up later in the textual tradition...But the addition misses the whole point of the passage in which Paul urged the Corinthians to not misuse their bodies,which belong to Christ,by having sexual relations with prostitutes." (p.496)

7:3
    WH NU : the husband should fulfill his [marital]duty to his wife
    var/TR : the husband should give his wife the kindness that is due [her]

"The WH NU reading is strongly supported by the manuscript evidence." Some scribe wanted to tone-down Paul's command. (p.496)

7:5
    WH NU : you may devote yourselves to prayer
    var/TR : you may devote yourselves to fasting and to prayer

"The addition,which is late,reflects the ascetic tendencies of certain scribes influenced by the monastic movement." (p.487)

9:23
    WH NU : I do all things on account of the gospel
    var/TR : I do this on account of the gospel

"The WH NU reading (with strong documentary support) indicates that Paul listed only some of the exemplary things he did for the sake of proclaiming the gospel." (p.505)

11:2
    WH NU : now I praise you
    var/TR : now I praise you,brothers

"The WH reading has the support of the five earliest manuscripts..." (p.510)

11:24a
    WH NU : this is my body
    var/TR : take,eat,this is my body

"The WH NU reading is supported by vastly superior documentation to that of TR...Evidently,it became increasingly important for the church to have harmonized accounts of the Eucharist for liturgical purposes." (p.511)

11:24b
    WH NU : my body for you
    var/TR : my body broken for you

Comfort says the changes were made for liturgical considerations. "Most of these changes occurred in the sixth to the ninth centuries." (p.511)

13:3
    WH NU : if I give my body that I may boast
    var/TR : if I give my body that I may be burned

"It is evident that the WH NU reading has superior testimony,and it is the more likely reading on the basis of internal evidence...martyr by burning was a phenomenon yet unknown to Paul or the original readers of this epistle." (p.515)

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The TR agrees with the NU 12 times.
    The TR agrees with the WH 8 times.

1:1 :NU
    1:4 :NU
    1:13 : WH NU
    1:14 : NU
    1:28 : WH