1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some Words From the Mod

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Squire Robertsson, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are not:

• a difference of opinion.

• a difference of interpretation of facts.
    For example, I am a Republican in more or less the mold of Theodore Roosevelt. My father (who grew up on a farm during the Depression) is a New Deal Democrat. We have differences of opinion and interpretations of facts. Neither one of us thinks the other is a liar.

Slander (from the American Heritage Dictionary):

• Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
    • A false and malicious statement or report about a person.
    Further, Slander is verbal\oral. Libel involves defamation in other forms of communication, for example: the written word, images, or here on the Board.

So, Slander is not:

• Asking for proof of a statement.
    • Asking how an opinion was arrived at.
    • Responding to a comment based on a poster's previous posts on the same or other relevant threads.
    Please consider this from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

In my experience, truth like chlorine bleach is the best for dealing with the stain of libel or slander.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is not up for debate or discussion. The temperature of this forum will be lowered by all sides of these issues.

It would do all well to remember forests of trees and bajillions of electrons have given their lives to this debate. So, writing that the opposing side are a bunch of (politely said) heretical apposates will not change anyones' opinion or beliefs.

#2 Squire Robertsson, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI, don't be afraid of reporting a post from either direction. I view my job in the same light as them speaker of the House of Commons. Further, as the topic has little interest to me, I won't be reading all posts. So, letting me know early on in a thread you have a question about is a good thing.

#3 Squire Robertsson, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If y'all haven't figured it out by now, the chances (I speak as a man) are pretty good; nobody is going to really change anybody else's basic position. The best that writers can hope for is a clarification of certain points. Neither side should expect nor should they become exasperated when nobody crosses the aisle.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why the mysterious closed threads?

I'm giveing over three page threads at least 12 hours without a new post and most of the time 24 hours before closing it. Why? From what I've seen long threads wander from the OP and tend to raise the tempurature of the rhetoric. Three pages is not a hard limit; it's only after that that I keep an eye on the clock. Threads closed on this basis are closed without prejudice. So, feel free to pen up a new on on the same topic. If nothing else, it means readers won't have to slog through 123 posts.

#5 Squire Robertsson, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
  6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tonight, I closed 2 "Yes or no have you stopped beating your wife?" threads. By this, I mean threads which put respondents from the opposite side of the aisle into an unwarrented bind.

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From now on I will view remarks like:
    as hitting. I will be handing out infractions accordingly.

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not the place to make accusations, in particular about trolling and multiple accounts on this Board.
    If you feel the need to accuse somepne report the post. You will be asked for evidence beyond a mere assusation.

9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those interested RipponWV\satuneptune has been banned from Baptist Board.

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bumpty, bump, bump.

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please read and head from the Posting Rules:

This applies to all sides of a question.

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I trust you've noticed I have adapted this position.
    Now, I don't start to be concerned until a thread gets 100 posts. And I don't take any action until there's been no activity for 24 hours.

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I trust you've noticed I have adapted this position.
    Now, I don't start to be concerned until a thread gets 100 posts. And I don't take any action until there's been no activity for 24 hours.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squire Robertsson
    I'm giving over three page threads at least 12 hours without a new post and most of the time 24 hours before closing it. Why? From what I've seen long threads wander from the OP and tend to raise the tempurature of the rhetoric. Three pages is not a hard limit; it's only after that that I keep an eye on the clock. Threads closed on this basis are closed without prejudice. So, feel free to pen up a new on on the same topic. If nothing else, it means readers won't have to slog through 123 posts.

14. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has come to my attention, that some here are taking offense with DHK for his remarks on a thread and with me by extension.

1. Just because DHK is a Mod he doesn't get a pass. He doesn't mod this forum so he's just another member to me.
    2. His position is not unique. He does not take a full on Calvinist postion and that offends some here.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For What It's Worth,

• I do not monitor this forum 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Please keep this in mind when bringing a post to my attention. Consequently, don't expect an instantaneous response.
    • I live in the Pacific Time Zone. So, please give me some time in the morning to respond to a reported post. In Other Words, if you are in the Eastern Time Zone and you report a post at 9am local time, that's 6am for me. I probably won't even see your report until 9am my time which would be 12pm Eastern (a seeming 3 hour delay).
    • I have minimal interest in debating the subjects under discussion in this Forum. So, I do not track each and very thread or post, in real time.
    • Please save me some time, don't quote a post you report. I really don't want to delete the reported post and the posts quoting it.

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has been a problem with how we refer to ourselves and how we refer to others as we discuss our varied positions on Soteriology.

"Calvinist." "Arminian." "Pelagian." "Semi-Pelagian." "Fatalist." "Robot." "Free Willer." "Determinist." "Monergist." "Synergist." Etc.

I suggest we, especially the Baptists engaged in the discussion, use the Historic Baptist terminology of "Particular" and "General" Redemptionists.

"A." The "Particular" Redemptionists believe that Christ Atoned only for His peculiar people, the elect, on the cross, and all of the elect will believe on the finished work of Christ.

"B." The "General" Redemptionists believe Christ Atoned for all on the cross but only those who come to Him, or place their faith in Him, or exercise their free will to believe in Him, will be saved.

I will entertain any additions or subtractions from either position to ensure I am being fair to both sides of the discussion.

Please. No blasphemy. No name-calling. No telling others what they believe.

If you are an "A" you may only suggest modification of definition "A."

If you are a "B" you may only suggest modification of definition "B."

Once we agree on the definitions, then a discussion may ensue regarding the pros and cons of each position.

"Let all things be done decently and in order."

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From another thread, some more definitions.
    TCassidy replied:
    "What is commonly (but wrongly) called "Calvinism" can be divided into several categories.

1. Hyper-Calvinism believes God is the author of sin and man has no responsibility before God. The Gospel should only be preached to the elect. Anti-missionary. Belief in the five points is a prerequisite for true salvation. Supralapsarian.​

2. Ultra High Calvinism believes that the elect are in some sense eternally justified. They deny the common call of the Gospel, Common Grace, and God having any love for the non-elect.​

3. High Calvinism believes that God in no sense desires to save the reprobate, Most deny the legitimate Gospel offer. Supralapsarian​

4. Calvinism believes that God does, in some sense, desire to save the reprobate, Infralapsarian. Accepts, in some form, Common Grace.​

5. Low Calvinism believes that Christ died for all in a legal sense, so one can speak of Christ dying for the non-elect. That God has two distinct wills. Affirms the legitimate Gospel offer and Common Grace.​

Quoted from Rev Jonathan James Goundry.

I would, for the most part, be a 4, but also accept that Christ died for all, but not necessarily in a legal sense. More likely in a practical sense so He can bless the lost with Common Grace of the former and latter rains, etc."

• Like Like x 1
  18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the spirit of Colossians 4:6

Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

This admonition goes for all sides.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

That said, we are a discussion/ debate board so conflicts will arise.When it gets to the point that one member is willing to slander another then this is a time for the administration to step in and assess the situation.

I do not recommend a tight line that all should walk, but there are limits and times when people must be removed for the benefit of the whole. We all acknowledged the board rules when we joined the forum.

I have advocated for leniency more than once. And this has come around to bite me.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the purposes of this board "Calvinism" is synonymous with the "Five Points of Calvinism" and "T.U.L.I.P.".

When discussing a broader definition (the doctrines of John Calvin, Beza, ect. outside of a Baptist application) please specify. I suggest the term "historic Calvinism", but regardless, please specify.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.