1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Someone in charge of the BB

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ajg1959, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Should BB moderators step in and delete posts when their independent beliefs are questioned?

BTW, in this case, the moderator in question wasnt even in the conversation until they deleted my post, which said.

"Keep looking until you find a Bible verson that fits your own beliefs"

A certain moderator didnt like that and deleted it. I have seen far far worse than this.

So, should a moderator enforce their own beliefs in the BB debate forum?

AJ

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I believe you need to settle your differences with the moderator in question via PM.

Bro. David

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Your comment seems unquestionably out of line.

However, it is appropriate to direct your question to the moderator himself, and to the other moderators in the forum or the administrators. This is not the place to handle it.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have made lots of posts that disagreed with moderators, and have made sharp comments at those who I took as being mean or holier than thou. To date, I have never had a post deleted. I believe the moderators are fair and open minded enough to keep their own opinions seperate from their duties. If they delete or modify a post, it seems to me it is because it crossed the line on one of the established rules.

For example, if I disagree with Pastor Larry on creation (which I do not), he will not delete my post. However, if I call him an idiot because he does not agree with me, or question his faith because he does not agree with me, then my post will probably be modified.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I agree with the mod. That post should have been deleted. It is quite close to questioning someone's faith...or at least appears that way.

On the lines of seeing worse...there are thousands of posts, and I'm amazed that the mods catch as much as they do.

The "report post" button should be used, if you think something is out of line.

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I did discuss it with the mod in PM.

It was like I was a child and they were the parent, and wouldnt really even listen to me.

My Mom used to tell me "Children are to be seen, but not heard"

Thats how this mod came across.

BTW, I am not surprised that the first two posts rebuking me here are from other mods.

AJ

#6 ajg1959, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  7. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

The truth is this.

Roger doesnt like me, he has never liked me.

So he holds me to stricter standards than he does everyone else.

Roger, why dont you go ahead and ban me?, I know you have wanted to for a long time.

AJ

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is an interesting observation. Frankly it is one I've shared. This place is too heavily moderated for some issues. Deleting or editting posts that express valid opinions while allowing others to run people into the ground for holding a position (politically or theologically) that is viewed "liberal" isn't awfully consistent.

Of course this post will be editted soon enough.

I've been a moderator in several online debate forums. My personal policy was laissez-faire when it came to editting and deleting others. Just a personal policy though.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

certainly not, this is an abuse of power.
    And taking it up with the mod in a pm does nothing, thye never respond to you, answer questions or anything. As long as I've been here I think maybe once or twice has a mod ever responed to a pm that had anything to do with posting on the BB. At least this particular mod responded to you, they've never responded to me. Like when I was edited or deleted and others worse then mine were not.
    Mods can never be accused of being unbiased and fair.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Then that should have ended it.

As moderators, we know what the rules and expectations are, and when people violate them, we point it out.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to see a list of banned statements. For starters:

"You are a liar" would be one at the top of the list. I see this phrase all too often when it is actually a difference of opinion.

Have a blessed day.

12. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

No, you go beyond that when a Mod is involved. You defend a mod way more than anyone else.

Just like the local police force. Insult your neighbor and they laugh it off, but say something against another police offeicer, and you get a trip to jail.

AJ

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There needs to be accountability with the moderators, too. There have been MANY posts from moderators that I have reported that go ignored. It helps at times to reiterate the rules to the moderators too, and AJ's question and topic is legit.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As one who has no official, or I assume, even unofficial standing or influence with the BB brass-

When the unnamed thread in question was moved from the Polls forum into the Bible Versions Forum (I add, correctly moved, IMO) it is now subject to the rules of that forum, which are more detailed and specific, than the rules generally, and can be found here.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=51917&postcount=1

Out of curiosity, have you actually read these rules that all of us abide under?

In addition, there are the rules that again, each and every one of us peons, agreed to [and that includes every Moderator and Administrator on the Baptist Board has agreed to, without exception (although I would presume that the owner of the BB could exempt himself, or any other, should he choose, as it is his site)] that can be found here.

http://www.baptistboard.com/postingrules.html

Again, have you actually read these that you agreed to, as well? (FTR, I did read these, as they were written, at that time, and fully agreed with them, in principle, before I joined the BB, for if I had not agreed, I would have never joined, in the first place.)

There have been a couple of small modifications, since I joined, and an additional 'rule' made on no postings on Hum*n S*xu@lity, in several fora, that I think are also prudent.

I have never tried to run anyone off from the BB, nor suggested any more than a very small handful get permanently vacationed, from the BB, and in each case, this was the result of unmitigated hateful usually racial bigotry, and the total number of these suggestions could be made on one hand, and I would still have two fingers and a thumb left on which to count.

I would suggest that the Moderators do a very fair job, generally speaking, and really wonder why you are surprised when one is 'attacked', that others should defend him or her, considering the amount of time they all donate to the BB.

If I were to 'attack your own pastor, in a manner you deemed to be unfair and unwarranted, would you not "defend the honor" of that Pastor?

I do that where my own pastor is concerned, and even though my own pastor likely has fewer who are stronger doctrinal critics, than I am, that is not the same as a personal 'shot' from another, especially one from outside, attacking him in this personal manner.

One person did make this suggestion, in the past, about someone not liking the policies of the Baptist Board.

If you or I don't like these rules and policies of the Baptist Board, any of us are perfectly free to start our own Board, and we can see that the rules are set up as to our own liking. There is not one legal or moral prohibition to our doing exactly that. :flower:

I agree.

With all respect, it seems you would like to be able "to call all the shots" here, at times. Things simply don't work like that anywhere, from what I've seen in 60 years.

Ed

#14 EdSutton, Mar 20, 2009
  15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't think there is a list of banned statements. However, "you are a liar" I think is out of bounds. I don't recall seeing that statement stand before.

Thanks

I don't. I think when mods are questioned, other mods tend to help out so that a person is not stuck defending themselves. It looks a little self-serving to say "I was right, you were wrong." But when another person says "He was right, you were wrong," that is helpful. It gets another pair of eyes on the situation.

There is.

That may be because your complaint was illegitimate. I have not received any of those reports so I don't know. But you tend to be a bit jumpy at times, and it may simply be that you were oversensitive to the issue and the moderator that received the report disagreed with your assessement.

It may be legit, but it is to be handled with the mod, not in a public forum.

But let's be honest here ... the statement was out of line. There can be no serious question about that. And the bulk of the comment was left. Only one short line was deleted.

So again, if you have a problem with the moderating, the procedure is to take it up with the moderator, and then if necessary the administration. That's the way it works.

BTW, Roger has edited my posts before. And I corresponded with him about it in private. I disagreed then, and do now, but I didn't start a thread and whine about it in public. I actually have a life. Perhaps some of you here need to get one.

#15 Pastor Larry, Mar 20, 2009
  16. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

No offense Ed, but I dont even read your long, rambling, intellectual posts.

You convey just way too much information.

But thanks anyway.

AJ

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any reported post that violate the rules of the BB is not illegitimate, and is there really a need to turn my statement into something personal? Why have I been brought into this? Really necessary?

18. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Pastor Larry, I usually agree with what you say on here.

But this time, I dont,

You started defending Roger automatically without even knowing all of the circumstances, just because Roger is a Mod (excuse me, an admin)

AJ

19. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Like I said before, Roger doesnt like me, he has never liked me, and he will never give me the same respect he does to others.

And since he is an admin, he is wrong to be that way.
    AJ

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

In which case, perhaps you might consider a PvtMsg to an "Administrator" as opposed to a "Moderator" (Admins are those eight individuals whose names appear in "red" on the front page of the BB, just for information.) Of those eight, I have sent a PvtMsg to all of them, including three or four times with a mass PvtMsg, where I did the "Group thing" bit. I have had multiple responses from 6 of the 8 involved, including AndrewT, the BB owner.

The only 2 Admins who have not specifically responded to me (You both know who you are! :D ) were a part of these "group mailings", whereby I had already received a response, to the Previous question, and forwarded my response to their response, along with my thanks for that response to all I had sent teh initial inquiry to, if my memory serves (I have made 8K posts, you know, and in addition, my memory is not what it once was, due to some health issues, I had.).

Incidentally while these were PvtMsg, they were by no means any Personal Msg, so I did not hesitate to cc to the other Admins., at that level.

Ed

#20 EdSutton, Mar 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.