1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Someone please explain the difference between Arminianism and Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by lgpruitt, Apr 20, 2006.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Thats the calvinist view. I can't not work because I am saved. If I didn't work, I might not really be saved. But thankfully, I have some works to show that I really am saved.

2. alley

alley New Member

I sense a lot of sarcasm in this post.
    I will clarify anyways. Arminians and work=Wesleyan Arminian, Not REFORMED examples of Wesleyan Arminian, Most Methodist, Church of Christ.

Example of Reformed are General Baptist, Free Will Baptist.

BIG BIG difference.

I have never heard a Moderate Calvinist say they didn't have to work. I have heard Classic Calvinist mention really they don't have to work, because everything is predetermined, but the reason they do work, is gain reward in Heaven.

You need to realize you cannot label them altogether

3. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Yes, it makes sense, Lisa. If we rightly divide scripture, we avoid these endless labels.

4. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Well, I sat and enjoyed the message in the baptist church I attend and member of today. While sitting there I have to admit I was wondering all the things all of us had chatted about this week. Good conversation...debate...and learning process for me. I appreciate all the feedback. [​IMG]

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This argument is a red herring. Calvinism, Arminianism and anything inbetween are all interpretations of Scripture. In that sense, they are all "man-made". The free-grace position is just as "man-made" as any other system. The free-grace position has its systematic theologies, its seminaries, its teachers, professors and books. Just because it does not have some dead guy's name attached to it does not make it above the fray from the others.

Basically what he has said here is that all other interpretations of Scripture are man-made, but my interpretation is the Biblical position. Of course, deep down we all think this, otherwise, we would adopt another interpretation. But to call other interpretations "man-made" is simply a red herring to make the other side look bad. We all have a system of interpretation. In that respect, we're all in this together - don't try to put yourself above the fray from the rest of us.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

No, the Calvinist says that if you are saved, your salvation will evidence itself in good works, ala Eph. 2:10. Saying that you "have to work" is misrepresentation that attempts to make Calvinism hold to works-based salvation, which it obviously does not.

8. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

This argument is a red herring. Calvinism, Arminianism and anything inbetween are all interpretations of Scripture. In that sense, they are all "man-made". The free-grace position is just as "man-made" as any other system. The free-grace position has its systematic theologies, its seminaries, its teachers, professors and books. Just because it does not have some dead guy's name attached to it does not make it above the fray from the others.

Basically what he has said here is that all other interpretations of Scripture are man-made, but my interpretation is the Biblical position. Of course, deep down we all think this, otherwise, we would adopt another interpretation. But to call other interpretations "man-made" is simply a red herring to make the other side look bad. We all have a system of interpretation. In that respect, we're all in this together - don't try to put yourself above the fray from the rest of us.
    </font>[/QUOTE]True. Man has interpreted the bible himself over the centuries. Thus, the many divisions of Christianity. I try my best to allow the bible to speak to me and direct me in what I should take from it as correct.(and from my current and former preachers) But, I welcome anyone that has other interpretations that make me 'think'. A quiet, listening heart had guided me through and to my beliefs. We are all different and yet the same since we are Christians.
    Good morning!
    [​IMG]