1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Someone's tryng to proselytize me.How do I respond.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mhoward1999, Jan 20, 2005.

1. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Nope. Thanks anyway everyone.

I sent her a response with all of the scriptures ya'll helped me find and some more I found on my own. I told her I wasn't going to argue. I said to please read these scriptures and discern for herself. I told her I had highlighted the specific passages I felt applied, but wanted to give her the entire context. We'll see how she responds.

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does her church affirm the Nicean Creed and the Trinity?

3. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Except for the one Catholic Church part, yes, they do.

They also believe that the ONLY proof that the Holy Spirit lives within you is to be "slain in the Spirit" or to speak in tongues.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

My dear friend, this girl is in bad company. The Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn stuff is heretical.This is the Word of faith movement that many pentecostals will not even associate with .I would advise against going to any of thier meetings.

5. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

I agree. I went to one of her "Women's Weekends." I found it Ironic that the male pastor, music leader, and band members were there. My concept of a "Women's Weekend" would involve the older women leading the younger...anyway...I was very disturbed at the goings-on. It took all my self control to keep from just getting up and walking out. I was very offended by the meaningless chatter and the chaos they called worship. (One particurlarly distrubing scene involved having a 13 year old girl "drunk in the Spirit" the pastor asked her if she'd ever been drunk. She said no. He said, you have now!" I was apalled! I just opened my Bible and read God's word and prayed through the whole ordeal. I left the next morning. Did not return to the Saturday meeting!

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. We won't debate, we'll just dispute. (Acts 9:29; 17:17)

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

This is so true! If she is reading her bible and praying for wisdom and discernment then hopefully she'll see very soon how dangerous their teachings are.
    When I was first saved I found the so called 'Christian tv' and watched it constantly wanting to learn about God and the bible so badly. Well I kept following along with my bible when they would teach their garbage and realized that what they were preaching was so wrong. Thank God I did!

Rachel

8. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Yes, Rachel. I pray for her to recieve wisdom and discernment from God!

Aaron: LOL!

9. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

It would be advisable for you to turn away from her and carry-on living for Jesus.

Obviously the devil has you ensnared and even to the point of a near obsession.

I understand your concern as her friend, but to remain her friend, you will simply have to agree with her to disagree, letting the Lord shed the Light of His Word in her heart revealing the Truth and the Spirit to her, else you very well might be in danger of taking on heretical beliefs and also sinning. So simply beware, and separate from her.

An arguementative spirit is of satan, our adversary, it is NOT of God.

10. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

The best answer Jesus gave to Pilate? NONE.

11. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Plain Ol' Ralph: Maybe God put her in my life so I could be a witness to her? I like that idea, that Jesus didn't give Pilate an answer. Does that mean he already knew?

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

O.k now I understand where you are comming from, these are a pentecostal group that teach that you must speak in toungues in order to be saved. There are a number of Pentecostal groups and a number have essentially the same beliefs as we do, yet this group are not in that basket, the Assemblies of God, Pentecostal Freewill Baptists and Full Gospel Baptists are Trinitarian and affirm the Nicean Creed.

Incedently I am surprised at them not acknowledeging the Universal catholic church. If they really did study it they would see that catholic and Roman Catholic are two completley different things.

Anyway it is likely that no amount of reasoning with scripture is going to help your friend. These groups "love bomb" new members, that is they go out of there way to smother them with attention and to make them feel as though the church is there actual family and where they belong.

Yet cracks always appear and that is where you can help. Do not openly critisize the group to her or that will be used against you as the leadership of the group will say that you are in bondage to the devil and they will work to get your friend to cut you off. Instead go along with your friend to some of the stuff that they do and appear interested, yet ask them for scriptures on subjects that you have already researched prior when they teach a particular thing like slaying in the Spirit, ask them and compare with them, what does the Bible really say.

Take any of their teachings that they are on about to the Pastor or the Elders of your own church and be sure that you are well grounded in the subject matter.

You will simply have to be there as a friend for your friend and pray that her eyes will be opened, the power of prayer is strong and if you commit to it you can set her free.

Here is a resource that many people use to get people out of cults, it is called "Let Us Reason Ministries". They have much information and are happy to answer your emails and point you to the right resources to deal with this group. They may well even be able to put you in touch with people that have left the group.

http://www.letusreason.org/

13. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Wow. Ben W, you just described her church to a "T." Especailly the part about "love bombing" them. She is especially vulnerable to this because she is physically cut off from all her biological family and all her friends from her life up to age 22 or so. She is from Canada. She met a guy from her and he married her and moved her here where she knew no one. Her church is always giving her stuff and doing things for her and her family.

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Unfortunaltly I have been in a Prosperity Gospel Church myself and I learnt the hard way, It was Let Us Reson and some other groups that helped me to get out of it.

God led me to the Seventh Day Baptist Church and scince then I have spent the last few years learning to trust God again. Spiritual Abuse is a horrible thing to happen to anyone. I have a book called "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse" by Jeff Vanvonderan that really helped me alot.

15. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

I saved Let Us Reason to my favorites and am researching the site as I have the time. Thanks for pointing me to that resource. It looks like a really good site.

16. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Tahnks for the site.