1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Song of Solomon: What's it about?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Aaron, Jun 28, 2005.

?
  1. The Song of Solomon is simply about sex. Just two people getting naked and enjoying one another. It

52.6%
  2. The Song of Solomon is about sex and its spiritual significance. It is allegorical of Jehovah's cove

5.3%
  3. The Song of Solomon is about sex and its spiritual significance, but that significance has nothing t

42.1%
  4. My view is not represented in this poll.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering how the Baptists on this board viewed the Song of Solomon these days.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken the original Scofield Bible states that the Song of Solomon is an allegory of the love of Jesus Christ for His Bride, the Church.

Of course according to dispensationalism the Church is unknown in the Old Testament and all Scripture must be interpreted literally.

Scofield's remarks have been deleted in the New Scofield Bible.

Scofield’s Introduction to the Song of Solomon is shown below.

Source: http://www.studylight.org/com/srn/view.cgi?book=so&chapter=000

Nowhere in Scripture does the unspiritual mind tread upon ground so mysterious and incomprehensible as in this book, while the saintliest men and women of the ages have found it a source of pure and exquisite delight. That the love of the divine Bridegroom should follow all the analogies of the marriage relation seems evil only to minds so ascetic that martial desire itself seems to them unholy.

The interpretation is twofold: Primarily, the book is the expression of pure marital love as ordained of God in creation, and the vindication of that love as against both asceticism and lust--the two profanations of the holiness of marriage. The secondary and larger interpretation is of Christ, the Son and His heavenly bride, the Church (2 Corinthians 11:1-4 refs).

In this sense the book has six divisions:
    1. The bride seen in restful communion with the Bridegroom, 1:1-2:7.
    2. A lapse and restoration, 2:3-3:5.
    3. Joy of fellowship, 3:6-5:1.
    4. Separation of interest--the bride satisfied, the Bridegroom toiling for others, 5:2-5.
    5. The bride seeking and witnessing, 5:6-6:3.
    6. Unbroken communion, 6:4-8:14.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Reggie (short for Regular—I hope you don't mind ;) ). I think Scofield had that one right.

I'm wondering if those who checked that their views were not represented in the poll would care to elaborate on their views.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I would say it is primarily about a marital relationship.

2) Now, I see a marital relationship as a portrait of God's relationship with his people.

3) I say that 2 is not the main point of the text of SOS, but the nuance comes through. I do NOT think it is an allegory.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

My view was not represented. I think the Song is about the sanctity and beauty of marriage. Any allegorical meaning about God and Israel and Christ and the Church would have to be imposed on the text from the outside, imo.

However, in context of God calling Israel his wife, and the church being the bride of Christ, I think it is okay to say the Song might illustrate that, but we can't say it for sure.

(I am surprised there were votes for No. 1! Why would God have that in the Bible? There is always edification in God's word).

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Scofield and I agree on one thing: The secondary and larger interpretation is of Christ, the Son and His heavenly bride, the Church.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't expect so many responses to say the poll didn't reflect one's beliefs. I did not think to distinguish the sexual aspects from a marriage relationship, but based on some of the responses of others in another thread, I should have.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

My view is not represented. The Song of Solomon is about the beauty and sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman. It provides for us the model of Christian marriage.

10. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Possibly the way distractor #1 was worded prevented people from choosing it.