1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

sons of God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ChurchBoy, Mar 6, 2006.

1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Webdog if you will refer to one of my earlier posts in this thread you will see that the word translated "wives" does not neceassarily mean "wives." It could just as easily and I believe be a better translation as women.

These fallen angels did not marry these women, they just procreated with them trying to destroy the whole human race so that the "seed" spoken of earlier in Genesis could not come about. But of course God stepped in and made sure that the "seed" stayed in tact and through that "seed" Jesus was born into the world.

Satan is a fallen son of God and still rules this earth and he is still trying to do everything he can (which is not much any more) to try to not lose control of the territory that he has.

As to your question of whether God has dominion over satan and the other fallen angels of course He does. God rules over everything. But He has a plan in place and part of that plan is still allowing satan and his cohorts to continue ruling earth until His Son and His Son's bride are ready. The bride is not complete yet, so satan is still ruling. Also God is not done dealing with Israel yet, so there's another reason why satan and his cohorts are still in rulership.

But just because they are ruling the earth doesn't mean they can one up God. They still have to play by His rules.

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

J Jump,

You said, '. . . they just procreated with them trying to destroy the whole human race so that the "seed" spoken of earlier in Genesis could not come about. But of course God stepped in and made sure that the "seed" stayed in tact and through that "seed" Jesus was born into the world.'

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Amen brother Ray. But thank God His plans prevail! And now that satan can't get to Jesus, he is trying to keep as many Christians from realizing that they can have a part to play in the coming kingdom.

God's blessings to you and your family!!! And thanks for sharing as your message was very encouraging at a time when encouragment was needed!

And by the way it was new to me until a couple of months ago. I will send you some resource material you will probably enjoy.

4. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

J. Jump,

As the sons and daughters of God under this New Covenant, one of the best devices of the Devil is to get Christians to think they are in this fight as Christians all by themselves. He makes them think they are isolated and have little value in the Kingdom of God.

As Satan and his hords keep Christians discouraged--he has won the battle. If we are not active for Jesus we will be of little to no help to anyone else. Just being your best and being one vibrant Christian causes the demons to really worry.

I checked out your material. Good stuff!

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The term "Sons of God" (as Adam was called) refer to the people of God.

As Christ said in Matt 22 - the angels are incapable of Marriage, family relationships and hence procreation. There is no indication at all that Angels can have families with humans.

Finally - it is certainly clear to all that bad angels have not "gotten better" since the flood. They remain "bad" and are nothing if not "worse" than they have been in the past.

God's condemnation in Genesis 6 is focused squarly on "man" not on "evil angels" and so God judges "man" in that chapter - not evil angels.

To see God pointing to judgment on evil angels see Rev 12.

In Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good point. If the CREATOR did not Create the Angels with the ability to have families among themselves He certainly did not do it so they could have families with humans!!

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

8. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

This is a most interesting discussion! But I have some questions about the fallen angels theory being sons of God.

Genesis 6:9 says, "These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God."

My question concerns the phrase "perfect in his generations." Did this mean Noah was one of the few left who's bloodline wasn't contaminated with the fallen angels? I assume his sons and daughters in law had pure bloodlines, too. Is this the reason why God sent the flood--to save the bloodline so that our Savior could be born?

That makes sense to me, and I can see that this theory is possible. But here is where it gets confusing...If giants were produced by sons of God (fallen angels) having children with the daughters of men, how do we explain Goliath? He lived a long time after the flood. Was he the product of fallen angels and human women, too?

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think I stick with the Bible in Matt 22 about Angels NOT marrying vs those that imagine Gen 6 says Angels DO marry (but they only Marry humans in such a story) --

I will stick with Matthew Henry, Adam Clarke, John Wesley and the other excellent Bible scholars that point out that Gen 6 is about the evil of man - not of angels!!

10. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

The Matthew passage is about a man who died and through death she was widowed seven times. The question was posed to Jesus--in the resurrection which man would be united with the widow?

Jesus explains that '. . . IN THE RESURRECTION, human couples in Heaven will not have the marriage status, but will be as the angels of God in Heaven.

This did not mean that when the angels came to earth on mission for God, in the form of a man that they were without any gender.

I also believe that Jesus, our Lord, was male in gender.

Jesus only said in Matthew that 'IN THE RESURRECTION THEY NEITHER MARRY OR ARE GIVEN IN MARRIAGE, BUT ARE LIKE THE ANGELS ABOVE.'

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point is that "neither Marry nor are given in marriage" is in direct opposition to the Gen 6 statement that the Sons of God (always a reference to obedient beings) were taking wives!!

This is just impossible to miss.

I have to agree with Matthew Henry, Adam Clarke, John Wesley, Jamieson, Fausset and Brown.... on this one.

In Christ,

Bob

12. standingfirminChrist

Sons of God are angels. This is evidenced by Job 1 and Job 2.

Sons of God married the daughters of men. Why did it not say sons of men if they were human?

Just because in heaven there is no marrying, nor giving in marriage, does not mean those that came to earth did not marry.

One more thing, if it were impossible for a heavenly being to have sexual relations with a human, then it would stand to reason that Mary could not have gotten pregnant supernaturally. We all know she did.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. Job 1 and 2 do not reference angels -

#2. In all cases "Sons of God" are those who are aligned with God - not in open rebellion.

#3. Romans 8:16 has the Holy Spirit witnessing with our spirit that we ARE the children of God

Luke 20:36
    for they cannot even die anymore, because they are like angels, and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

Always in the obedient context.

Matthew 5:9
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

The notion that the "evil angels are called sons of God" can not be supported in all of scripture. Satan may appear with them - but he is not called Lucifer OR the son of God while in rebellion against God!

Matthew Henry is right on this one folks!

In Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1 - God did not have relations with Mary as you seem to think.

#2. God did not "procreate" With Mary NEITHER is Christ the procreated result of Mary being the wife of God!!!

Come on people - you have to at least stay on the Christian theme!

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

16. wopik

wopik New Member

anyone here believe we will be born into the family of God, and that God is reproducing Himself here on the Earth?

....that our human families are used (like a template) to illustrate how the family of God works: many members but one family.

....that what God begets is God, just as what man begets is man. There is a hierarchy in the human family, just as their is in the God family. But if your earthly father is human, you are human. If your father is God, you are God.

Perhaps God is not just the name of a person, but of a kind of being (let us make man after our likeness, kind).

We are to become God, just as we have become human. OUR ULTIMATE DESTINY. God reproducing Himself.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God created the angels - they are not God nor little gods.

God created Adam - he was not god nor a little god.

God fashions the "New Creation" 2Cor 5 with each soul that is saved - but we are not "little gods" in the sense of ontology - as in species. We remain human.

18. wopik

wopik New Member

we are to escape CORRUPTION and take on DIVINE NATURE (2 Peter 1:4).

".....We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him as He is. - 1 John 3:2

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2 Peter 1 points to this life and says that in this life we are experiencing a character change via the promises of God. (Sanctification).

The contrast is not between onotology - human nature vs God-nature, the contrast is between the sinful nature of fallen man and the sinfree perfect nature of God. The point is that in this life we are "putting to death the deeds of the flesh" and walking in the spirit - building up the inner man "For we have been given the mind of Christ" 1 Cor 2 end of chapter.

Gal 2:20 "no longer I who live but Christ that lives in me"

If you try to extend these concepts into biological terms then you are going too far!

In Christ,

Bob

20. standingfirminChrist

The sons of God in Job are not human beings. This is evident in satan's showing up amongst them.

God asked satan where he came from. Satan replied from walking to and fro and up and down in the earth.

Satan came from the earth, so he was not on the earth. The sons of God had to have been heavenly beings, angels.