1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soothing Ourselves to Death

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why must it be the entire Psalm? Do you sing each and every verse of every hymn you sing - or do you sometimes shorten it?

My husband was reading through the Scriptures during a particular struggle and these were the words that spoke to him - and he wrote a song. It's a wonderful worship song.

I just realized looking at that Psalm that there was a song we did in youth group MANY years ago with verse 1 and 2. Good memories. :)

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Just like that horrible song we sing in our congregation:

The Lord is my shepherd;
    I shall not want.
    He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
    He leads me beside the still waters.
    He restores my soul;
    He leads me in the paths of righteousness
    For His name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil;
    For You are with me;
    Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
    You anoint my head with oil;
    My cup runs over.
    Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    All the days of my life;
    And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

That lyricist could barely express a thought without thinking of himself all the time!

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I bet when his church does Psalm 119, they don't beat the Methodists to Shoney's. :D

Yeah...I think one should be careful when one belittles how an arrangement of a Psalm is written...for that very reason.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the laugh. :) Too funny!

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I am saying I disagree. I used to enjoy modern music as well, and have stopped enjoying it. I shared my view, gave my reasons. I would opt for singing out of a psalter than a shortened version.

Added in: Yes, our congregation does sing every single verse of the hymn. The Psalter breaks longer pslams into segments so they can be sung in parts, yet the whole Psalm sung, including Psalm 119.

#25 ReformedBaptist, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  6. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

God is incredibly subjective. Do you object?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

On matters of morally right vs morally wrong, God is objective, as is scripture. Your comment and question, hoever, don't appear to have anything to do with the topic.

8. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Worship music should fall under the catagory of that which makes use of the solemn sound as laid out in Scripture. That is where God stands on the subject of music.

To even think God is objective to what is moral or immoral is directly against the Ten Commandments, or do you prefer the "Ten Suggestions":laugh:

vain repetitions are spoken against in prayer. music is to be prayerfully done with the worship of God as the main theme. repetitions found in music DO make for chantings. some call this as "7-11" music which generally has the same identifiable trademarks as the same 7 words repeated 11 times or in the opposite order, 11 words repeated 7 times.

You might prefer some things, but that doesn't mean they're right.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

a lot of 'me' and 'I' in psalms, yet still it's God focused.
    I guess it depends on the singers heart and focus, who are they praising and worshipping.
    Some have a problem and struggle with staying God focused, and thats why they attack those who worship.
    There are people on both sides of the argument who worship, and those who mearly go through the motions, even with hymns. Menaing it isn't the music, but the heart. If a person can negelect to worship God, they have the heart problem. And as we see in this thread, there are several who have a problem not worshipping.
    No one says you have to listen to music you don't like.

#29 donnA, Sep 2, 2009
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Revelation 4:8

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So let me get this straight.

If the song goes:

Blessed be the Name!
    Blessed be the Name!
    Blessed be the Name of the Lord!
    Blessed be the Name!
    Blessed be the Name!
    Blessed be the Name of the Lord!
    Then it's not vain repetition, but of the song goes:

Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your name
    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your glorious name
    Then it's vain repetition.

BTW, scripture doesn't forbid repetition. It forbids vain repetition.

That's true. However, what qualifies as a "solemn sound" is subjective, and changes with time. Baroque music was once considered to not be solemn, but many hymn tunes we know today are baroque. Classican music fell into the same category, and many hymns today are classical in nature.

#31 Johnv, Sep 2, 2009
  12. rbell

rbell Active Member

So, "The Hallelujah Chorus" (G.F. Handel) and "Blessed Be the Name of the Lord" (Hudson, Hymn) must be pretty crappy music to you...

Try again...this time with a valid point.

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does God say that the music used must be solemn? I seem to recall a Psalm that commands us to make a joyful noise to the Lord. There is a time to be solemn and there is a time loud, boisterous, and joyful.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. You are not making any sense.

Repeating something more than once does not make it vain repetition.

Same to you. You preferring it does not make it right. :wavey:

14. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Colson is wrong here and he really did not have any good reason to disrupt the service to try and impose his standards on the group. He should have went to the pastor in private after the service to talk about his complaint.

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like it. Thanks for sharing.

16. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree. I prefer the traditional hymns to the recently made up ones that are constantly put on the projector.

17. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you'd be ok with us singing "How Great Thou Art" with the words on the screen put up on the projector? or not? ;)

I remember hearing Evangelist B. R. Lakin saying that most preaching on separation was preaching against those things I didn't like. Some of our stands on music is based on what we don't like and what we prefer.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Words on the projector are better because everyone has to look up and can sing out rather than look down and crump (is that a word) their throat. What Colson is speaking of is not all "modern" music but there is an abundance of songs that are very weak theologically and excessively repetitive.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Every era, from gregorian, baroque, classical, spiritual, folk, and contemporary, have songs that will qualify to someone as theologically and excessively repetitive (though those phrases are somewhat subjective). Opponents of contemporary Christian music usually only single out the flaws of contamporary music, but ignore those same flaws of more "traditional" music.

The last song in Handlel's Messian is "Amen". It's one word repeated over and over again for several minutes. The song is continuously repetitive and theologically empty. The "Messiah" also has the songs "Hallelujah" and "And the Glory of the Lord", which take one single sentence from scripture and repeat it over and over again for 4+ minutes each. They qualify as excessively repetitive and theologically weak. But they're frequently sung in churches without criticism. Many churches sing these songs every Easter.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of things are sung in churches without complaint. But you cannot attribute that to anyone here. Nothing more than your subjective suspicion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.