1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sorcery & Games

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Repent-or-Burn, Oct 7, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm - how can I explain what I'm thinking??

There might have been things that the Spirit was trying to speak to you about and because of the particular teaching that you got, you ignored the Spirit and hardened to Him on that issue. I've seen people like this on things like ... say ... tattoos. They always heard it was wrong, got themselves so worked up that it was wrong but then they left that kind of teaching and went hog wild the other way getting all sorts of tattoos. Instead of slowly easing the pressure on that topic and beginning to search on what was true, they just discarded everything and went with what they felt like because what they had heard was wrong.

Does that make sense??

2. Repent-or-Burn

Repent-or-Burn New Member

You mean don't think that just because the doctrine was wrong in the church, that I should outright reject it, because it may be the spirit telling me not to do it?

3. Repent-or-Burn

"I just watched a video from Mark Driscoll where he addresses praying to the Spirit. Know that if you ask for wisdom and peace, He WILL give it to you."

Link? :)

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Right. :) Make sure that you choose to not follow a doctrine because it is truly wrong after you studied it rather than throwing it all out. :)

Let me get the video link. It's funny (I find Mark Driscoll funny in his communication style) but it's a GREAT word, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewv2eMABvYo&feature=player_embedded

5. Repent-or-Burn

I haven't throw it all out. Much of it, though. :p

Thanks.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Let me see if I can help. If you have just left a strict IFB church, you likely have been indoctrinated with a "set of rules". Natural inclination when faced with the fact that some of those rules have no basis in scripture is to toss the whole lot of what you've been taught and instead just go with your feelings. I understand, I was raised IFB and was taught a whole host of activities were "sinful" or would "send a person straight to hell". They were wrong, but your "feelings" are not any more reliable than their set of rules. You have to get into the Word, prayerfully and determinedly. The Bible says: If any lack wisdom let him ask of God, or words to that effect. If you ask, He will teach.

So, lets take the sorcery thing. You have to think about what "sorcerers" or "witches" were in the Bible and are now. Saul used a witch to raise Samuel. Pharoh's magicians were able to mimic Moses turning his staff into a snake. Simeon, sought to buy the apostle's power because he could tell that his own came up short. Who did these people represent? False gods of course. They came by their "power" not by believing in God, but by channeling evil spirits sent by their father, Satan, in order to keep people from the knowledge of the One, True God.

Now, will that video game make you want to go out and channel Satan? Is it going to tempt you into worshipping another god? Will it make you try to cast spells in real life? If so, stay away from it!

For myself, none of that is a temptation! Its fun to pretend and play games, but when I shut off the computer/xbox, I don't desire to go fight the evil bad guys. That is a game. Its pretend. In my real life I'd rather have the power of God standing behind me than the shadow of power that Satan only thinks he has. (or rather would try to decieve me into thinking that I had).

7. Repent-or-Burn

I'm surprised how many of you know the IFB :).

Yep, no gambling, smoking, drinking, supposed to wear a tie, supposed to wear a dress (female), no disney movies, some say no hollywood movies, no music with deep bass or off-beat (rock, country, metal, etc.), no yoga - even without meditation - the actual body movements are demon worship, violent games, KJV is preserved so you can't use other bibles, even ones translated from the recieved text! (i.e. evidence bible) and so on..... Ironically, it's okay to drink coffee. The pastor says you have to wear a tie to serve in the church, where a member of the church refuses to do so because he wants to be 'all things to all people' and he's offended people by dressing up so much. . . So he can't serve in the church! Wow.

It's so bad, that one man from my old church separated from me on a personal level because I deny that the music is sinful. Guess I'm a heretick. What happened to Rom 14? That's just really, really sad.... Phariseeism.

Menageriekeeper, 'turning his staff into a snake' is very similar to what League of Legends does. However, I don't think there's much in the way of connection with Satan.. So, that wouldn't apply then?

#47 Repent-or-Burn, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

There you go again, generalizing the all IFB churches with your one bad experience. So, this is what you believe all IFB churches teach? If so, you are mistaken. The vast majority don't.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Amazing - a thread on playing games with sorcery had become an attack/defend IFB churches?

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

My friend, I agree with you.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you show me an IFB church (not an independent Baptist church but an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church) that allows modern versions, modern worship music and women in pants?

12. Repent-or-Burn

If the modern versions involve the critical text, even I would say that's wicked. That's one thing I haven't rejected. One of the two are wrong. If I ever change my mind which, the other will be wicked. One will always be wicked.

If by modern you mean a more modern translation of the recieved text, that's not necessarily wicked.

By the way, I've been going to Independent Baptist lately. Much better than the IFB I was in.. It's not very mature, though. Tend to not be liberal, nor legalistic. A couple Big issues with this church though, are that it's not calvinistic and he believes only the greek/hebrew and english have the Bible; it's wrong to translate to spanish etc.

Can't find anything better in my area, serious lack of good churches. :( Not to say this one is terrible...

#52 Repent-or-Burn, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ugh - I'm sorry about that!! I wish you were here (although we're using the NIV in church right now - LOL). But we do have good KJV churches around here - much better than what you're saying.

14. Repent-or-Burn

Well, I prefer KJV or Evidence Bible (the latter, but no one uses that), but I'd even consider NKJV or Darby (geneva? forget which), because they are also recieved text, though they have some translation issues..

Note, the topic of sorcery isn't over with :p if anyone has information to add, references to add, about what sorcery is and where you found that information, it's appreciated.

15. menageriekeeper

Not in my opinion. :D Where do you think the game designers got the idea to put it into their game? Right from the pages of the Bible.

IMO, the real danger of video games is what one of the first posters said: to much play time and you get addicted. In all things moderation.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

I think the scriptures show a sorcerer to be one who uses magical arts in order to exercise influence over people.

For example, Pharaoh's magicians convinced Pharaoh not to listen to Moses by imitating his miracles. Now, I don't know if they truly had supernatural power or not, but they were able to convince Pharaoh they did.

There are many forms of this, for instance mediums or psychics. I knew a young lady who was addicted going to a palm reader and spent much money. She was convinced this lady could predict her future. I remember one occasion where this palm reader told her she would meet a certain fellow whom she would fall in love with and marry. Oh boy, was she excited. But you can see how dangerous this would be, if she were to run into a fellow that seemed to fit the description she would immediately get into a relationship with this fellow who might very well be the worst person she should be in a relationship with. But that was ok with this psychic, because who do you think this girl would go to for advice when things went wrong? Her of course.

A drug dealer is a form of sorcerer, you become addicted to the drug and now they have complete influence and control over you.

Everybody laughs when we see Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice, but Mickey is a form of sorcerer. Isn't it amazing that a reoccuring theme of Disney movies is witchcraft. We are taught that witches and sorcerers can be good, exactly the opposite of what the scriptures teach. But also, entertainment can be a big diversion from reality and the serious needs of life. Some folks spend all their time watching movies.

Sports or games can be just as bad. Some folks spend thousands of dollars and countless hours of time watching sports or playing silly games that do not profit us one bit.

Now, I'm not saying it is wrong to watch an occasional football game or movie on TV, but if that is all you do then you have been overcome by it. You are every bit as addicted as a heroin addict.

So, sorcery takes many forms, but the idea is to exercise control over you and lead you away and keep you away from God.

#56 Winman, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  17. menageriekeeper

Exactly Winman.

We'll disagree about Mickey Mouse cause he wasn't exercising control over real people, but fictional characters that if I remember correctly weren't human. As far as witchcraft in Disney movies as a recurring theme, remember where they get their material: From folktales which often use witches and the like to protray evil; yet people, even Christians, read such stories to their children in the name of a "Classical Education". Can we blame Disney for seeing a good idea and taking it to the next step?

You can't have a story without both good and bad.

#57 menageriekeeper, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NT Definition of "sorcery" in the Book of Revelation comes from the koine word Pharmakeia. Yes the obvious connection is apparent:
    Drugs of the hallucinogenic variety.

When Paul went on his missionary journies he ran into the helenistic mystery cultists. e.g. Diana of the Ephesians.

The Babylonian Mystery cult: infiltrated established "religions" under the name of the Eleusinian Mystery cult which at the time of Paul's journies was aproximately 1000 years old presumably descendant from the Mystery cult of Babylon.

They had a sacramental beverage called "kykeon", a concoction of hallucinogenic drugs from certain flowers , mushrooms, and naturally occurring ergot fungi.

After drinking the kykeon one "communed with the gods", made prognostications, performed "magic" tricks, etc...

Eleusinian Mystery Cults had lesser and greater mysteries shrouded in secrecy with a death penalty for the revelation thereof.
    However, a small amount of inner circle information is known.

The Book of Revelation sets it's gun sights on this "Mystery Babylon" and its "sorceries" pharmakeia.

Descendant from the babylonian mystery cults are most of these games of divination, tarot cards, fortune telling devices, etc...

Do googles on "the road to eleusis", "kykeon" and "eleusinian mysteries" for more information.

HankD

19. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

You know what's funny..I started the thread on video games, and then jumped to this page and its on KJVonlyism. lol

20. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

And "pharmacy" comes from the word "pharmekia". Therefore pharmacists are sorcerers.