1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sorry, another question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by wfdfiremedic, Jul 30, 2010.

1. wfdfiremedic

wfdfiremedic New Member

For those that have attended seminary or bible college, what translation is utilized? Obviously, I would assume that you read Greek texts and utilize that, but in whole, what bible translation in English is utilized? I have always wondered this.

Regards

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Back when I went to school (1976-1982) we primarily used the KJV although the use of other versions was NOT discouraged- as a matter of fact in some Bible classes it was encouraged. I got my NASB due to the recommendation of my Poetics Books class professor.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There was no set translation at the seminaries I've attended. Most professors would encourage students to use multiple translations in their work...including German, Spanish, and other foreign languages.

During my time at seminary I used a different text for each semester of Greek and Hebrew to see how they compared. I bounced between several translations for my other classes.

Towards the end of my masters degree time, I would provide my own translation of passages in papers I wrote. For my PhD I would only do this as my primary text.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ASV1901 was the "scholarly" translation (updated from the AV and KJV revisions) in seminary and home church.

There was no "issue" over it in the 60's remember. The "only" sect were just mocked - they were a couple sorta Baptists and the majority Adventists. So I had a Cambridge and an Oxford KJV revision, a 1901 ASV for theology class, and a New English Bible to laugh at.

When I taught in the 90's at an ifb college, the faculty were all asked to use any KJV revision. Many students had "parallel" translations, but most did not have a KJV at all.

So I would always call on students to read texts/verses - knowing they would be using understandable-language editions.

Side note - almost any ifb college/seminary that teaches biblical languages will use the modern Greek compilations (rather than the TR type Greek eclectic blends). Many will tend to allow wider English translations, knowing the great variety of English words that might faithfully be used and not limited to a KJV revision or the AV1611.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

During my time, primarily the NASB due to it being the closest, most literal and conservative.