1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soul Sleep

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jeben, Apr 10, 2007.

1. jeben

jeben Member

At death do saved soul's go stright to God or do we soul sleep untill the resurection ?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Straight to God.

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Steven being stoned said:
    Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon [God], and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

as well as others...

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we go 'straight' to be with the Lord-- II Corinthians 5:8, II Timothy 4:18, Revelation 6:9-10.

But if there is indeed "soul sleep," what difference does it make from our perspective? Entering into our next phase of life is still our immediate next experience.

4. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Chistian Sects/Denominations (primarily Adventist and Apostolic Christians) affirm the concept that when a person dies physically, their soul enters a period of suspension or "sleep," until the "resurrection" or final Judgment -- exactly how that plays out depends upon their eschatological scheme... They base this concept of "soul sleep" on statments in the NT -- for instance when Jesus refer's to Lazarus and others who are physically dead as "asleep," and the statement of Paul regarding some saints in Corinth as having "fallen asleep."

Generally, this is regarded by other Christians to be a misinterpretation or misunderstanding of these statements. Most evangelicals would agree that the physical body is "asleep," but the soul is present with God -- or already in torment and awaiting eternal judgment.

JDale

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

There is also Luke 16 - Lazarus and the Rich Man.

Both died and was immediately in their respective locations. And Jesus speaks of them before their deaths in the past tense, but after deaths in the present tense (not future tense) establishing that this is actually and presently happening.

This is not a parable since no parable used names among other aspects which specify parables verses true stories.

I think it is an expression that is dealing with our total wholeness.

Explaintion of the use of sleep instead of dead:
    1. We are a tri-une being (in the likeness of God)
    2. If our spirit and soul is seperate from our body
    ------a. Therefore, we are not whole (one part is asleep [dead] -body) and one part alive in Christ

So when speaking of us in context of being with God (spirit) we are alive and with Him.
    But in speaking of us with regard to total salvation (renewed body and spirit) we are asleep because in the physical aspect we are not yet alive and renewing completed.

Well, I what 2 people weren't doing (sleeping that is)

That death known as sleep is also refered to as "rest" and can be understood in context, specifically from Hebrew 4
    Regarding rest or sleep I can tell you two more people who were not sleeping in the ground.
    It appears those who have entered into that rest and should be sleeping was talking with Jesus. Although, they may have been asking for a lul-a-by but...

Anyhoo, the argument could be made that Elijah did not die and therefore has not yet attained, but Moses IS dead and therefore has attained the rest afore mentioned in my previous posting.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Those who are saved go to be with the Lord, and those who aren't go to hell.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If there was such a thing as soul sleep, Jesus would be "sleeping" now, as He told the thief on the cross that he would be with Him that day.

8. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello jeben. Welcome. :)

We go to the Lord conscious.

Heb 12:23 ...You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect...
    REV 6:9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10 They called out in a loud voice...

That's right but what would change about the story if it was a parable? :)

...the Lord knows how to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment. 2 Peter 2:9.

Same goes for the unsaved.

john.

9. jeben

jeben Member

Thanks for all the replys, I also believe the soul goes straight to God at death