1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sources: Nutt won't return to Arkansas as coach next season

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Nov 17, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saturday, November 17, 2007
    Sources: Nutt won't return to Arkansas as coach next season

By Chris Low and Mark Schlabach
    ESPN.com

Houston Nutt will not return next season as Arkansas football coach, multiple sources told ESPN.com Friday night.

ESPN college football analyst Mark May also reported on Saturday that, according to sources, Nutt will not be retained at Arkansas, even if he wins his final two games.

Nutt is the second longest tenured coach in the Southeastern Conference behind Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer. He's taken the Razorbacks to two SEC championship games, including last season when the Hogs were defeated by eventual national champion Florida.

An Arkansas spokesman wouldn't confirm to ESPN.com Friday night that Nutt was out as coach and said no decision has been made about Nutt's future at the school. "Coach Nutt hasn't resigned and he hasn't been fired," Arkansas sports information director Kevin Trainor said. "The chancellor and athletics director haven't made a decision yet."

A Fort Smith, Ark., TV station also reported Friday night that Nutt wouldn't return to coach the Razorbacks next season. KHBS-TV reported on its Web site that multiple sources confirmed Nutt will be "leaving at the end of the season. Sources could not confirm whether Nutt would offer his resignation, be fired or possibly accept another position."

Earlier this week, multiple sources told ESPN.com that new Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long, who officially takes over when long-time Razorbacks AD Frank Broyles retires Dec. 31, was leaning toward replacing Nutt as the school's football coach.

The sources told ESPN.com that a decision wouldn't be announced until after the Razorbacks finish the regular season. Arkansas plays Mississippi State in Little Rock, Ark., on Saturday and plays at No. 1 LSU on Nov. 23.

- rest at http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3115969

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joy In Hogland!

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

What happened to Frank Broyles?

;)

(lost for a moment in my youth :D )

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally getting rid of him too, come Jan. 1!

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, I was thinking about Coach Broyles from when I was a girl . . . ;)

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Great, does this mean we won't have to have a weekly get rid of Nutt thread??? :)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What! You're not a girl :eek: :laugh:

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yeah, but someone else will come up with a new name, a different school, different sport, maybe, and another weekly rant, 'er I mean thread!

In other words, only the names are changed to 'project the guilty'! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Ed, You are wrong! I don't think Ar. will ever be happy with a coach for more than a few years. They wanted Broyles out most of the years he was a coach there (fans). But coaches like The Bear, Dodd, Graves, Royal, Majors, Dooley, though he was one of the all time greats, Holtz, same thing, Hatfield same thing but he didn't do the greatest.

As an Ad, Broyles was know as one of the best in the country, always would bring top of the line coaches for all sports. Most AD's look at Broyles and would like to do as good a job, getting good coaches and keeping the money coming in, or that is what we hear down here in Fl. The AD at both Fl. and FSU had said when they came in, if they could do as well down here with all the players we have in state and get the financial support that Broyles gets in Ar. all would be well.

How many National Championship in all soprts has Ar. won that Broyles wasn't either the coach or the AD. I know you folks will say Broyles was created on the sixth day and there is some truth to that I guess.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yeah, I could be 'wrong', I guess. It might be that the next "boot 'em" thread would involve Arkansas, again. :rolleyes:

Probably won't take long for a "boot Weiss" at Notre Dame, or "boot Carr" at Michigan (assuming he doesn't retire/resign/get 'rode out of Ann Arbor on a rail", first) to appear, before the next "boot _____" at Arkansas, though, now that Nutt is apparently going to be gone.

Ed

11. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Don't forget, UK round ball, they haven't been real happy with there round ball coaches after Rupp. We as fans seem to love to fire folks but the ones who work for someone else, don't think they should be fired, just others.
    I might have talked to fast, you could be correct, Ed!

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, we were talking about football here, basically, but Yup! It got so nasty that Tubby Smith (who only had the best winning percentage in the SEC; the only 'perfect' SEC season in history, under the current format; a national title; won over half the SCE tourneys; and had taken every team he coached to 'the Dance', including every year at KY; and had several pretty good years, for his time at UK, the undeserved epithet of "Ten-loss Tubby", notwithstanding) decided to leave one of the simultaneously best/worst jobs in college BB, for the relative 'peace' at MN, and KY would then get Billy the Kid. Only problem was, Billy Donovan was not interested enough in KY to come, for whatever reason.

I think KY got a good coach, overall, in Billy G. (only three letters in the alphabet from Billy D.), but the love-fest will be short lived, with another loss or two to a perceived Gardner Webb equal.

I'll merely say this:

'Tubby' Smith never lost to a Gardner Webb;
    Rick Pitino never lost to a Gardiner Webb;
    Eddie Sutton (my name-sake) never lost to a Gardner Webb;
    Joe B. Hall never lost to a Gardner Webb;
    and in my memory, at least, Adolph Rupp never lost to a Gardner Webb.
    Only Billy Gillespie lost to a Gardner Webb.

What gives??

Ed

#12 EdSutton, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2007
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frank Broyles was head football coach for close to two decades.

Eddie Sutton was head basketball coach for over a decade.

Nolan Richardson was head basketball coach for close to two decades.

Even Houston Nutt has been here for a decade. He messed himself up by the way that he ran off Gus Malzahn, Mitch Mustain, and Damian Williams after last season. If he had let Malzahn run the offense - like he said he would in order to avoid being fired after two consecutive losing seasons - I think things would be totally different in the way that the Hog Nation regards Nutt.

The larger issue in sports is that with the Internet any coach getting started today is not likely to stay for 15-20 years at one job or maybe even a decade unless he keeps his team consistently toward the top of his sport. Mediocrity will not be rewarded as easily as it used to be. Which is Houston Nutt's problem as his record in the SEC is only .500.

#13 KenH, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arkansans aren't happy because Frank Broyles, et. al., have run the U of A like a country club, good-ole-boy network. What corporation on the planet would allow an 83 year old to oversee a multi-million dollar operation??

Frank Broyles is way overrated as an AD. In football, he ran off Hatfield and Holtz, then when he should have run off a coach (Nutt), he remained fiercely loyal beyond all justification. Top-flight coaches have been hesitant to come to Arkansas because Broyles has had a reputation of being a meddler.

We haven't won our conference in football since the old SWC days. Our NC-winning basketball coach called Broyles the "White Haired Devil," indicating the level of tension in the athletic department.

I will give him some credit for building good facilities, but I believe that another competent AD would have been able to match.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

An AD brings in money and good coaches and keeps the program in accord with the NCAA, for the most part. I think all in all he did a great job, but I'm not from Ar., just knew some who played for him and worked with him, and all thought he was tops. I've met him a few times and he seemed to be a great coach. I haven't seen him in 30 years or more. I know or knew some coaches in the SWC and SEC that thought he was a great coach and AD.

Hatfield said when he was at Clemson that he had lost the fan support was why he was send out, if I recall correctly. I know my son's inlaws (live in Jonesboro,Ar.)loved Ken but couldn't wait for him to be out and many other I knew in Ar. felt the same way.
    Lou Holtz problem was his beer deal and many of the HS coaches in Ar. didn't care for him. If what Lou has said down here is true, he and Frank are still friends and Lou thinks very high of Frank. I know a few years ago Darell Royal said when ask who were the best coaches he had ever knew, he named Bear Bryant and Frank Broyles at the top. On the radio in NC they were talking about Butch going to Ar. but they didn't think he would because he wasn't happy with how so many have been to Frank. He and Frank are friends. Time will tell if that is true.
    That is why so many were not happy with Lou and Ken. Lou was a very good coach if not a great coach and Ken has went down from his Air Force days, didn't get it done at Ar., Clemson or Rice, but I still think he wa a good coach. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Nutt either. By the way, what is Nutt's over all record at Ar? If you are a hot coach, I don't think Ar. would be number one on your list. I think there best bet is to get a up and coming young coach, like Sutton and Nolan and Ken was when they came in. Lou will coach any where when he needs a job or wants to coach, I like him but I don't think that was the right many for the job, Frank blew it there, but he did do a good job, there.

Look at what Nolan has called many others, he isn't a happy man. You are a bigger Ar. fan than I am, but how was Nolan doing at the end of his time at Ar. I think I heard him say a lot bad about the school that had nothing to do with Frank.

Time will tell if Frank was the wrong man for the job and you being a Ar. fan I hope with him being gone is what you folks needed. But I know your baseball program, basketball program and football program has had many a good year under him as AD and in football as a coach too. I know it wouldn't change your view of him, but some time talk to some of the players and coaches who have played and coached under him and see what they say. I know it is much harder to stay at a school today, with all the talking heads on radio and TV and ever fan knowing more than the coach or AD.

Look at LSU, they can't keep most coaches, it isn't a place most want to stay, but look at the players that state turns out. Look at Al. they think the Bear is coming back but they forget about his lean years and before he came. Look down here in Fl., after Steve they think they should never lose, if it was for Tim, they would be all over there coach now. Before Steve, they never won an SEC championship and now they think they should win them all. Look at UK basketball, they want Rupp but in his last years, they were not to happy with him.

I put Ar. in the same boat as Texas A&M, Ok. State, Iowa State and FSU before Bobby, a place coaches go and do well and move on. If Nutt had done that when Nebraska was after him all of this in football would not have been, it could have been another coach. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Ar. can have some good years but not at the top or near the top every year. They want to be like Texas, Ok., USC, Tenn., Ohio State but they never have and I don't think they ever will. Ar. is more like an Iowa good but not great every year. I hope I'm wrong and you can tell me about it.

16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The best quote in this thread. Arkansas will have some good years from time to time,b ut they will never been in the elite category of the other teams mentioned in this thread.

17. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Too bad for the rest of the SEC...with Nutt on the side lines you know that there will always be a chance of winning!:laugh:

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is fair to say that most Hog fans are looking to a consistent Top 25 football team, not a consistent Top 5 football team. I think most Hog fans would be satisfied if we had a more balanced offense and once every 4 years were in the national title chase.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that Ken Hatfield definitely got it done at Arkansas. He won back to back SWC championships.

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's true. It would be nice to turn into an LSU, though. LSU wasn't that great until recently.