1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

South African degrees

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by European, Apr 21, 2005.

1. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

RD,

I have read most of the threads on the subject with great interest. Whitney's hiring at SBTS stood out as a pretty significant position at a more prominent seminary. I doubt I would ever go after a 2nd doctorate after I finish this DMin, but It's a very interesting and inexpensive dream.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

Agreed.

Bill

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I think this is a very perceptive and generally accurate comment.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all:

Generally the following in any of the various combinations is true of geting a full-time "teaching gig:"

(In my humble and most accurate opinion! HA!).

1. You have to have a terminal degree in the discipline for which you are applying;

2. You have to have a specialty or sub-specialty in said discipline;

3. You must have studied with someone who is a world class scholar and who is known in that particular discipline;

4. You have to be published generally, widely, or in a specialty;

5. The person doing the hiring must know you, know of you, know about you, and/or know of your work;

6. You have to have a "well-placed friend" (and we all know how that works);

7. Or, you have studied in some world class institution;

8. Other (unforseen) factors that are "custom-made" by God at the time.

Of course all of this is under the rubric of "the sovereignty of God" or "God's Will!"

It also presupposes a certain level of excellence in one's field of expertise.

IT IS ALSO A PLUS IF THERE IS SOMETHING THAT SETS ONE APART FROM THE REST OF THE CROWD;i.e., such as two masters degrees or two doctorates or two graduate specialties.

I have learned (am learning) that "God's Will" is more linear rather than a destination. I have considered doing a degree from an SA school. But, I am teaching and have a book deal so it seems all I need to do is to "get with it." I personally need to learn to wait on God and do the best I can with what I have where I am and be happy in Him.

Comments!?

sdg!

rd

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there anything on the above list that I missed as far as "getting hired" is concerned?

sdg!

rd

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I suppose agreeing w-the teaching statement might help.

8. panicbird

panicbird New Member

I am interested in learning more about the South African schools. Which ones are considered the best? Are any of them Christian? If so, what sort of Christian school are they (Reformed, Baptist, etc.)? What are the academic strengths of the different schools (i.e., which schools are strong in New Testament, Old Testament, church history, systematics)?

As a side note: Maybe I am just slow, but I have found the websites for the SA schools to be some of the most confusing and unhelpful around. That is not a knock on the schools themselves, just their web developers.

Lon

9. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    panicbird,

UZTHD graduates with his DTh or ThD on Friday, May 13th. He would be the best to answer your questions. You may want to talk to him off line.

The University of South Africa MAY BE a bit more known than Portch or Zulu.

As I have looked at the degree programs one thing they all had in common: they wanted a ThM or MA that had a thesis component. They want to make sure that you can write before you matriculate into their program. The degree by dissertation (South African university models) are very difficult and long. It is not a "quick fix" to having a doctorate. Be forwarned!

I was told that if I did not have some sort of Master's with a thesis then I might have to do some "leveling" work "to get up to speed" from their point of view. Just consider that the programs do have some good points: no classes, do it at your own speed, low costs, don't have to relocate, etc. But, they are long, hard, and arduous. If one is not self motivated, self dicisplined, and a good researcher already; it will be an uphill battle. Maybe a battle that lasts for 3-5 years.

Talk to UZTHD at lenght before you get "hooked up!" But, don't back away from a challenge if it is God's Will just because it is some work.

sdg!

rd

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Roger

I hope what I said about typos was not offensive. I was teasing you about your propensity to apologize when making them. IMO no apology is necessary. It obvious that you are a caring and knowledgeable individual and no one finds offence in your typos (which we all make). BTW, is Potch still in operation?

Panicbird

IMO what Roger says re SA schools is correct!

I do graduate this May with the D.Th. (ThD) in Systematic Theology from Unizul (the University of Zululand). I have MA, MDiv (equivalency) , and ThM in related fields , from accredited American schools, but it still took me three years. I worked on the research full time as I was mostly retired.

Unizul is small and lesser known than some other SA public universities.

I opted for Unizul because of:

1) the reasonableness of the tuition (around $2000 US),

2) the ease of communication, (emails are promptly answered with helpfuk data)

3) the qualications of my promoter ( Alrah Pitchers, MDiv, ThM, Southern Baptist Seminary ; PhD, Natal, pub in the area of my dissertation, The Christology of Hans Kung)

4) the "accreditation" of Unizul which equals that of any SA school (all are "accredited" by SAQA which makes each of them them the equivalent of regional accreditation),

5) my dissertational committee would include profs from several universities.

6) I was allowed to do my research in the precise area of my interest.

I'd be happy to share any other info I have.

11. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

UZThD,
    Congratulations on the conferral of your doctorate this month! You worked hard! I hope you do something fun to celebrate.
    Tom

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZTHD, Panicbird, et al,

No offense taken! Am I correct about the hard work that it took in your program?

It seems that two of the major keys to doing the doctorate is having your research program mapped out in detail.

Secondly, is having the skills that one needs to do research w/out much supervision,i.e., having done a master's thesis before. There is for sure a "method in their madness."

Rick Walston has his degree from Portch. But, it has been combined or assimilated into another school in SA and I forget the new name. His dissertation has been lampooned at lenght by those on another board. I think w/out merit IMHO.

Anyway, I hope Panicbird goes into any of the SA programs with "his eyes wide open" for they are certainly no "gimme" by any means!!

Amen?!

sdg!

rd

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

14. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

Thanks Tom.

15. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Thanks guys. In no way did I think that a SA degree would be a shortcut. I do not want to take a shortcut (not that you were implying such) and, in fact, want a challenging degree. I am still pursuing a masters right now, so I have some time to pray and think about it.

Lon

16. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZTHD,

Your thought above intrigues me! Say some more, fill out your thoughts about, "Perhaps you should do a dissertation on the Pauline rhetoric."

This has captured my attention; I will say, however, at a very low level. But, it has captured it nonetheless.

sdg!

rd

PS. I know that you probably disagree w/what I said earlier about getting a doctorate in order to teach. But, I have too much of a heart of avarice and greed to pursue the second Dr. degree like you did; just for the joy of learning and to please our Lord.

If I had an institution that wanted to hire me and said my DM was not good enough and I must do one in order to be hired/or keep my job; then it would not be anything to do the second Dr. at all. Under my circumstances, I would be foolish (I think?) doing one with my teaching and writing commitments. Would another Dr. degree actually help me? Or, would my time be better spent to "hammer out" the things already before me and "on my plate?!"

17. UZThD

UZThD New Member

18. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZTD,

THIS IS YOUR DAY!!

Concerning the above; I was looking more for a "why" or motivations. Rather than, a "what."

Speak to the why.

sdg!

rd

19. UZThD

UZThD New Member

To use your background to contribute to the scholarly knowledge of Scripture.

To be prepared should the day come when another degree is necessary or helpful.

To keep your mind active and open.

To begin a new adventure.

To personally grow in the knowledge of God.

To put at rest the nagging thought that you should.

To show all the young guys here that we older ones still have the stuff.

20. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZTHD,

So the "nagging thought" is that obvious & transparent?!

sdg!

rd