1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern and Southeastern

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by panicbird, Jun 8, 2004.

1. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Having spent some time on Southern's campus and knowing some current students, I think to say that Calvinism is not a big issue among students is like someone saying that conservatism is not that big an issue at the Republican convention. Perhaps it is not discussed all the time, but it is almost always assumed. That is not to say that it is bad. I am a thoroughgoing Reformed Baptist and am delighted by the resurgence of Reformed thought in Southern Baptist life.
    Just my ¥2.17.

Lon

2. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

I agree that the administration has to address the issue of Calvinism because of perception.

But, like I said, it is not something that is constantly discussed on campus.

I do find it funny that it is such a huge concern to all these pastors. Is this really the area that needs attention? Is this the great danger that we face? We have other schools falling into the trap of postmodernism, and the abiding issue is the perception of Calvinism? No frets over the predominant teachings of dispensationalism at many schools either. That is just odd to me.

I am sorry that it is an issue that the administration has to address, but as a student it is just not something we sit around talking about. I have had many more discussions on missions, evangelism, church planting, ministry, teaching, etc than I have ever had about Calvinism here.

Too bad people rely on caricatures and their hatred of certain doctrines than actually seeing what is going on at the school.

3. zuchva

zuchva New Member

I attended both schools and certainly agree with what most have written. Southern is obviously much more academic, so is Southeastern, but not across the board like Southern. One thing I noticed as soon as I started attending SEBTS was that they eat, drink, and sleep missions and evangelism. Not that Southern does not have a heart for the lost, but there is a distinct difference between the two schools with SEBTS standing out to me.

I have had many a discussion regarding refrom theology at SEBTS.

Dr. Mohler asked Dr. Rankin what Southern had to do to be the number 1 missions seminary in the SBC. Dr Rankin replied,"Get used to being behing Southeastern". That says it all.

4. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Were you there for this discussion?

Because in the last 5 years more IMB missionaries have come from Southern than from any other seminary. To me, that says something about SBTS' heart for missions.

I have also heard that Rankin said that SBTS missionaries are the best prepared for life on the field.

5. zuchva

zuchva New Member

Heard it directly from Jerry Rankin's mouth!

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Southern "appears" more academic in nature. However, I never felt aloof at SBTS when I was there. I was fortunate in that I had experience in ministry before I went, and had an excellent Bible college preparation in theological and practical areas. However, I don't think it's fair to say that Southern or Southeastern are either more or less practical than the other. It's largely a matter of what the individual seeks from his experience. Some will chain themselves to the library, some will shun the library and preach on the street corners, and some will find the right balance.