1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern and TRACS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by BrianP, Apr 30, 2006.

1. BrianP

BrianP New Member

I'm thinking about doing Southern Evangelical Seminary's distance learning program. I realize they are only TRACS accredited and not RA.

I'm still not quite sure if TRACS accreditation is sufficient IF I decide to pursue schooling beyond the Masters level.

From what I've read, some schools accept it and others don't. I'm just afraid that if I graduate under the banner of TRACS, and there happens to be a school which is very interesting (I'm currently interested in the Biblical Languages), that they would not make an exception for me.

Should I take the chances, or seek to pursue distance learning (in which there are few schools which have concentrations in the Biblical Languages) programs that are RA.

Thanks.

2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the past, there have been some schools that have not accepted non-RA degrees. I'm told that these are less nowdays.

I am in the distance program at SES. I can tell you that many of the graduates of SES have been accepted into other programs, but I don't have the list. You can always call the registrar, who would have much of the info. Of the handful of PhD programs I have investigated, I can't remember any that specifically requires RA.

SES is a tough school, at least for me. The language students tell me that for the semesters that they take the upper level language classes, they almost have to almost do nothing else but that class.

3. BrianP

BrianP New Member

Given that SES is no cakewalk (nor or other TRACS accredited schools), I don't think that I would have much difficulty pursuing further schooling if I so choose.

Humblesmith, on average how long has each online course taken you? I read elsewhere where you mentioned that there is a hefty amount of reading involved. Did you explore any financial aid or scholarships when you enrolled?

I learned that SES will shortly be adding the biblical languages to their distance learning programs. Apparently they will begin by taping the Hebrew class lectures next fall.

I looked into what Liberty has to offer, but the Languages are not currently available. Nor, does it appear that their programs offer the depth or concentration that SES has in their Biblical Studies (MA) focus.

4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The external classes have a mandatory completion of 4 months. This might be spelled out in the catalog, I'm not sure. But on average, a student will need to complete classes in 4 months anyway if they want to complete in a reasonable amount of time.
    They also offer "module" courses, which condense all the lectures into a 6 day period, so that you can go to Charlotte and take all the lectures in a single week (typically on vacation) then go home and do the reading and the class assignments. Modules are offered in the summer and again in January, with a requirement of doing at least 4 module courses to get the degree. The modules are typically designed for the external, distance-learning folks, but the regular on-site people will take some of the summer modules.

I didn't look into any financial aid, sorry. I know that as an accredited school, it qualifies for IRS deductions. But that won't pay your bill. However, compared to many schools, it's not near as expensive. It's likely 1/3 the cost of DTS.

"online" is a bit of a misnomer. They debated for a long time whether to put the courses on a website, but in the end, there was no need, other than to say "hey, we're online." Rather, they video record the class lectures and mail you the DVDs. Testing is done via a proctor. Communication is by phone or email with the profs.

All in all, I'd rather be onsite, but for me, there was no way I could uproot everyone and move way across the country. So I can get a first class education at home, while I keep my job.

I can highly recommend SES. It is a very rigorous school that has a rather unique offering. Compare the list of required classes with other schools and you'll see what I mean.

Bless

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==In general you should check with several schools that you may wish to attend after you graduate from Southern Evangelical. There is no rule nor pattern to which schools will accept SES credits and which ones will not. So my advice would be to email/call the schools you might be interested in and ask them. Make sure you tell them that SES is TRACS accredited and that TRACS is government approved (some are still ignorant of this). Also make sure the school you wish to transfer to (after SES) will accept degree(s) earned online/distance, because some will not.

God Bless you in your studies...
    Martin.

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello BrianP,

I note that your profile indicates that you are not a Baptist. This section of the BB is designated as Baptist Only. Please feel free to post in the sections that are open to All Other Christian Denominations. However, I'm affraid that I will have to close this thread.

Yours in Christ,

Bible-Boy,
    Forum Moderator