1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist Center for Biblical Studies

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by dongill, Jan 27, 2005.

1. dongill

dongill New Member

Please tell me all that you know about the Southern Baptist Center for Biblical Studies. Our church is considering a man with a DMin from this institution. Is it accredited? Does it have a connection with the denomination? Academic reputation? Is it an on campus or correspondence type of study? Is it difficult to obtain a graduate degree fom this place? I greatly appreciate any help you can give. They have no web site and the internet offers little information.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

All too often those who get a D.Min. want the doctorate without all the work required for the Ph.D. I would be asking some questions about that matter.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

If you checked out the PREVIOUS THREAD ( http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/8/427.html ) mentioned by rsr above, many of your questions are probably answered. I would not categorically reject someone whose DMin came from the Southern Baptist Center for Biblical Studies. Sometimes good men who don't understand higher education and issues such as accreditation study at (or through) such places innocently enough. I would not, however, put much stock in a DMin from SBCBS. If someone went through SBCBS because it was an easy way to be called "doctor," I would not want him as pastor. Where did the potential candidate receive his MDiv? If it, too, came from SBCBS, then I would have serious problems with his candidacy.

I would agree with gb93433's sentiment. Don't confuse a DMin with a PhD. As one who has both, I can tell you there is no comparison.

BTW, there are some good DMin programs and, by their very nature, they are all "off campus" programs. Consequently, no one has to do a non-accredited DMin because of residency requirements. The "on campus" work is only minimal, usually only a couple of weeks a year. I would want to know why the candidate chose SBCBS over other institutions.

Blessings,
    Bill