1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Southern Baptist Convention

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jedi Knight, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

At most of the churches in our area that sponsor scouts, the boys' families are already members of the Church.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It IS just another sin. What paves the way to cultural acceptance is more and more folks getting tired of Christians going on about this sin as though others don't sin.

3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Says you and? Your double minded about this subject as in other post you trolled....no consistency.

#23 Jedi Knight, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

First of all, the SBC has no authority over its member churches as to whether they allow the Boy Scouts to use facilites or not. Each church is autonomous. Had a presbytery issued the decree, all Presbyterian churches under its authority would have ceased the practice. In other words, what the SBC puts out is rather meaningless.

At first thought, I would think our church would not allow the BSA to use our building. However, one wonders if that is fair, since it is not the individual scout's fault what the BSA leadership decided. In our area, I would think the chances of a scout in that catagory would be near impossible in any given troop.

Throughout the years, the scouts have been a positive activity and tool for teens to develope the character as defined in the Scout Oath. I am not sure that a local church automatically banning the scouts from using its building without giving it thought and prayer is the best route. Does using the building give the impression that the local church is condoning homosexuality?

I think a more vital question than the building is would you let your child join the Boy Scouts? If you would, then you really do not have the right to complain about the building.

It is easy to see where the issue would become complex, and it shows what a mess we are in to have to even ponder such a question. Probably in the final analysis, it is best the Scouts use another building, to remove any appearance of endorsement, but honestly, it is a crying shame.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Nonsense and totally ridiculous. The only thing that makes sin culturally acceptable is the depraved evil heart of mankind. Look at Sodom for instance. Wonder if they blamed the cultural acceptance of their depraved hearts and behaviors on Lot and his family? :wavey:

Really? What an attitude about sin that is. :type:

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Says GOD. So take it up with Him. You and those like you seem to be the ones always trying to make this into some special sin so that you can point your finger at someone and say "ooh you're the worst of the worst sinners".

Get over yourself and your prejudice. The homosexual offense is no worse than your own pride.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Must explain why the SBC and practically the whole country is okay with normalized heterosexual lust and adultery in everything.

The point to my other comment was that the more Christians hypocritically harp on this one sin as though it's worst than another, the more those not in the church seem to rise up to try and normalize it.

Our focus is always on an issue instead of just preaching God's truth.

In accordance with God's word, you break one, you've broken them all. So yes, my attitude is that it's just another sin in a line of sins that every one of us commits EVERY DAY.

so don't think less of your own sin than you obviously do.:type:

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Totally agree saturneptune. Because our churches are autonomous, I just don't see them being forced by the Boy Scouts to accept anything that conflicts with God's word.

They sponsor the Scouts. The scouts don't sponsor them. And as the troops are made up mostly of kids from the Church and the community and hopefully with Church membersas the leadership, the Scouts should remain a positive influence over the young men and discipling them for Christ.

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure where you get the idea that the SBC or any Bible believers are okay with heterosexual lust and adultery.

You are right to a point that all sins are equal, but God's Word does point out that certain sins were more serious and demanded a more harsh penalty. Paul told the church to "excommunicate" the man who was living with his step mother. But he didn't say to excommunicate the people in Philippians who were preaching Christ from the wrong motives.

Were they both sin? Yes. But they demanded a different response from the church. So all sins are equal in the sense that they all are an affront to God's holiness, but they are not the same in terms of our responses.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I see every day what the church watches and what the church listens to and what the church wears.

It's been normalized and those in the church are right dead smack in the middle partaking of it.

That's because of the consequences. The sin is still no worse than any other especially since God's word says that if you've broken one, you've broken them all.

And as I've said before, if the church deemed things an affront non-hypocritically, the world probably wouldn't even notice.

But when the members of the church are letting their daughters run around with lil bitty shorts with their behinds hanging out...when the members of the church are watching the same adultery and heterosexual lust filled tv shows and movies...when the church members are reading the same adultery and heterosexual lust filled magazines...when the members of the church are listening to the same lewd music...and not making the same kind of stink that they do about everything homosexual, then the world will be inclined, just as it is to scoff at us and our hypocrisy and attempt to gather steam in their quest to normalize all manners of sin, sexual and otherwise.

How on earth do we dare cry homosexual unholiness while wallowing in heterosexual unholiness and not making the same fuss?

All I have to do is ask the majority what movies they have seen lately or what tv shows they watch and it's OBVIOUS the hypocrisy of how those in the church deal with heterosexual sin and homosexual sin.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy Scouting is on the way out in todays world anyway....just a matter of time unfortunately.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Really hadn't heard much about them the way that I did when I was a kid until all the gay stuff started.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a private orginization, they have the right to configure themselves any way they want to. In my day, it was common place for a boy to start as a cubscout & gradually work your way up & it was supported by churches (automatically).

Perhaps by allowing for Homosexuals, they feel they are walking lock step with todays world & this will infuse diversity which will bring forth increased membership.

I can tell you this.....when you compromise your stance on integrity & morality, that becomes a very slippery slope. I invite anyone who wants to travel to the NE, to come & take a look around.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Some SBC churches have their own version of the Boy and Girl scouts but I don't remember what it is called. That would be a better option.

And I do not agree that all sins are equal- but I won't hijack the thread. I'll start a new thread.

15. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Mexdeaf your solid as a rock I and do not consider you a troll whatsoever! Some just flame and cause division among the brethren to seem smart but fall flat. They feel more comfortable attacking believers than dealing with sin. Probably the "touchy freely" Christianity manifesting here.

#35 Jedi Knight, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  16. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Your Crystal Light Christianity don't fly.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is called Royal Ambassadors

18. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Yep that's what he said on the phone when talked about an alternative.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thanks, that's it. One of the churches we work with uses it but I couldn't remember the name.

20. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Another alternative might be AWANA clubs.

---from a former (& now disgusted!) Boy Scout (Troop 461, Souderton PA)