1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist Megachurch Makes History Electing Woman to Pulpit

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MrJim, Jun 24, 2007.

1. MrJim

MrJim New Member

link

:laugh:

I sorta expected better from y'all southern baptists, this is more along the lines of us american baptists

Julie Pennington-Russell was voted on Sunday to become senior pastor of an Atlanta-area megachurch. The historic decision that went without dispute makes the congregation the largest church of Southern Baptist heritage to be led by a woman.

"Without a doubt, this is a major development," commented the Rev. R. Albert Mohler Jr., president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and one of America's pre-eminent Evangelical leaders, in a blog post when initial reports about Pennington-Russell's near-confirmation as head of First Baptist Church of Decatur, Ga., came out.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

There are other SBC churches with women pastors. I know of at least one in Louisville. Which by the way, I greatly disagree with. But these are individual churches, not the SBC as a whole.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

me too

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

There goes the neighborhood.

But seriously, this is a matter of grave doctrinal error and should be answered everywhere it exists by excluding these churches from the fellowship of other Baptists.

5. MrJim

MrJim New Member

I was talking with a fellow at church about this and as I understand it the SBC is like other baptist "denoms" in that is really isn't a denomination but a confederation of congregations-there is no overarching bishop that is "in charge".

I guess the SBC could remove a church from the organization?

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

What? And lose the funding a church of that size provides? <sarcasm only folks>

Does the SBC even have policies for the removal of such a church?

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

hey I've got an idea for a great Sunday topic...let's throw rocks at people we don't like (or have a clue about)...

Anyhoo, I'll say for the record I'm SBC and stinking proud of it! The SBC is doing more the reach people for the Kingdom of God than most.

Also, I've been by FBC Decatur and frankly I doubt the Mega-Church label. If you've never been in Decatur, Georgia you'll not understand the dynamic of the area. This isn't a surprise and won't be a huge issue.

I'm more worried about the people around this board who are more than ready to throw rocks before looking to see what is really happening.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Exactly!

I do not agree with this decision. However, they are an individual autonomous body and have the right to call whomever they desire as pastor.

9. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

From the article: I found this significant.

"Mohler predicts the new FBC Decatur pastor will quickly become one of the most prominent leaders among moderate and liberal Baptists. Pennington-Russell is scheduled as one of the main speakers for the New Baptist Covenant – an initiative of former president Jimmy Carter and the North American Baptist Fellowship – meeting in January. The initiative to unite Baptists and create a more positive Baptist image is said to resonate more with more moderate Baptists."

(Mr. Rogers' voice) "Can you say.......compromise? I KNEW you could.

I am not at all surprised by this developement.

Hmmmmmm. I am wondering why her nane is hyphenated? Typically and IMO ; women who hyphenate their name do not want to take their husband's name fully because they wish to remain an individual rather than becoming one flesh WITH their husband.

Everything about this woman tells me she is no more interested in serving God than Ghandi was.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

OK

I'm a Southern Baptist too and proud of it. I didn't know talking about a topic (or even expressing an opinion) was throwing rocks.

11. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eighty percent of the out-of-church contributions already go to the CBF; only 20 percent goes to the SBC.

No.

However, I would expect there to be a movement within the association and/or state convention to disfellowship.

12. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I'll come down on the side of disfellowship, while praying for that church to see the light. :jesus:

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

A Pastor is an undershepherd called by God (acts 20:28). Sincew this Hyphenated named woman does not qualify she may fill the pulpit but she isn't a Pastor. Pastors are called of God. She is not. 2 Timothy 4:1-4 applies here specifically.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm going to comment as I once heard the late, great Dr. Adrian Rogers say

There is NO room behind the pulpit for a woman preacher!!!

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

BUT I want to know what you really think! ;)

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

When I heard Dr. Rogers say that---I knew he was right--because I agreed with 'im!!!!:type:

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

And I agree you both :thumbs:

I've been on staff in SBC churches. There are so many vital places of service for women in church. Pastoring just isn't one of them.

18. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If anyone doubts that there is rock-throwing going on on this forum, then here are two examples:

It must be nice to be so absolutely sure that you're right, that you have special knowledge of a situation. I'm sure you folks can quote mountains of scripture to support your opinions. However, I want to mention a couple of passages that speak against your views. First, there is the passage I taught in SS this morning, For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways. This is the word of the Lord. [Isaiah 55.8]

Second, Stop dwelling on past events and brooding over days gone by. I am about to do something new; this moment it will unfold. Can you not perceive it? [Isaiah 43.18-19a]

I would remind you that the Bible, among other things, is a record of the new things that God did among the children of Israel. A short list would include the creation, the vision of Abram, Moses, the Promised Land, the Exile, the Restoration, the sending of Jesus, etc.

I am wary of any position that limits God's ability to act in order to realize God's plan for this world and God's people. We will only know whether any pastor, male or female, is God's person for any church over time as we watch how their ministry prospers or declines. No human being can make a true judgment as to whether God has or has not called a pastor to a church. That is between that church and God. My church is in the process of looking for a new pastor. We have talked about the possibility of calling a woman. Some members are absolutely opposed to the idea. Some hope we will call a woman. I think I stand with the largest group which wants to find the person God wants us to have. If that means a woman, then I will be comfortable with that.

Tim Reynolds

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That is such a great straight line, you have no idea how much will power it takes to resist...

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What exactly do you mean? Would saying that it is scripturally wrong to appoint a woman as senior pastor be equivalent "to throw rocks before looking to see what is really happening."

There is nothing dubious about a woman has been voted as a senior pastor. Therefore, we who are oppose to such stand on our scriptural conviction.

#20 TCGreek, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007