1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist TS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by StefanM, May 18, 2006.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be traveling to Louisville next week for a campus visit. Is there anything I should be sure to check out while I'm there?

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

You will really want to spend some time in Boyce Library.

Also, try to set up some appointments in areas of interest. Dr. Russell Moore would be good for systematic theology---he's Dean of the School of Theology. Drs. Greg Wills and Tom Nettles would be helpful for church history.

I hope you have a great visit.

Blessings,
    Bill

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Everything! It is a great campus. The library is a must. The rec center, the bookstore, the chapels, the founders cafe are all good places. And I would def set up some time to visit with some of the profs that teach in areas of your interest.

What degree are you planning on pursuing?

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am intending to pursue the MDiv, though I'm not exactly certain about which concentration I want to complete.

Pastoral Studies is an option for me, but I do like the greater number of electives in the generic Christian Ministry track. I do have the Greek and Hebrew background for Biblical and Theological Studies, but that program has no free electives.

I would like to take some Biblical counseling courses, but I don't necessarily want to concentrate in that.

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

The weather! Except you need to do that in late summer or early fall, when the rains seem incessant. I grew up in Louisville and was accustomed to it, but lots of my fellow seminarians suffered from the sniffles for weeks on end. One of my friends dubbed it the "Ohio Valley Rot".

But I do appreciate my Louisville heritage, anyway!

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That doesn't sound as bad as it could be. I'm used to constant rain where I'm living now. It either is a long period of drought or rain 5 days out of 7.

7. NateT

NateT Member

Next week might resemble a ghost town. Graduation is tomorrow, and summer classes won't start for a couple weeks. That being said, you might have a hard time getting appointments with many profs.

But, you'll still get enough interaction to ask questions, but there just won't be an abundance of people around.

Christian Ministry might be a good path. The statistics 2 years ago when I started was that the most enrolled program was BTS followed by Christian Ministry. The one that most people graduated in was Christian Ministry (people get into the BTS and feel overwhelmed so they switch.)

8. Convicted by the Spirit

The biblical counseling courses at Southern will be excellent. I hope you take as many as you can. I hope to attend Southern one day even though it is looking more like Southwestern for my family and I. I will be praying for you.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Depends on what your culinary tastes are. I'd love to recommend some restaurants while you're there. Other than that, what everyone else has said is true. Definitely go downtown and see the mighty Ohio river.

Back on the campus though, just take it all in. Remember that you are walking where the greats in Baptist life have walked. The library will blow your socks off.

10. NateT

NateT Member

TomVols, please suggest some resteraunts anyway. We've been here 2 years and the only one I can think of would be to get a Wicks pizza. But my family would benefit from your culinary information.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Bearnos Pizza if it's still open. They have places all over Louisville.

W.W. Cousins has the best burgers in Louisville. It's off Breckenridge Lane, near Baptist East Hospital. People also love the burgers up at Ginny's Diner on Frankfurt.

Having once lived in Cincinnati, I have to say go get some Skyline Chili! Take Grinstead to Bardstown, turn left, and it's not far from there if memory serves me right. There's also one on Hurstbourne and one on Breckenridge Lane near the cheap movie theater.

I'd love to hear back from you and see if my geography is right and if what I'm telling you rings some bells! It's been three years since I've been back in Louisville.

12. NateT

NateT Member

Well, WW has been on our list, we just haven't made it yet. I've seen lots of Bearnos. I've also seen the Skyline by Jewish (off of breckenridge) I don't recall the one on hurstborne, but it sounds like your geography is right. And we pass Ginny's every week on the way to church at Clifton.

Some of those look good from the outside, but you never know if they are until you try.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

13. NateT

NateT Member

That reminds me, if you're in town on Sunday, you might check out a church. The most popular ones seem to be Highview (East campus), 9th and O, Immanuel, 3rd Avenue, or Clifton.

Highview is where, among others, Mohler leads a SS.
    9th & O has Drs Moore, Cook (New Testament) and Betts (Old Testament) as well as others.
    3rd Avenue doesn't have any profs right now, but is dubbed Capitol Hill South
    Clifton is a cross between Bethlehem & Capitol Hill with its own flavor (lots in attendance from both churches)

If you visit a church, you might not feel so overwhelmed at where to start the 1st Sunday you're in town (if you end up coming)

14. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

thanks for those recommendations. My DMin cohort is always looking for good places to eat. Maybe we can check one out at our June class.

15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to check out a church, but I've scheduled the visit specifically so I won't be there on a church day (I've had to use my vacation days for family emergencies).

I might have to check out a restaurant or two, though!

16. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan,

Unless I have missed something from the comments above, I would suggest that you go to some of the classes of the men Broadus recommended above.

Especially go to hear Tom Nettles "in his element." I would not be surprised if you do not want to major in Historical Theology when you come out of his class.

I studied Church History with him at Mid America in the early 80s as a diploma student. And he changed my world. I have since become involved with him in a writing project. He has remained my mentor, friend, and has become my colleague.

Check it all out, but him especially.

sdg!

rd

17. NateT

NateT Member

similar to spurgeon saying
    If you have to rearrange your class schedule, get in Nettles class [​IMG] I've had him for Church History 1 and 2, and that was phenomenal.

Unfortunately, if you are coming the week of the 21st there won't be any classes in session.

18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard positive things about the Biblical Counseling program, and now that I've thought about it, I'm considering concentrating in it. Does anyone have "first-hand" knowledge of the program?

19. NateT

NateT Member

One of the professors, Dr. Johnson, is my sunday school teacher. He's a great man of God.

There is a variety in the Biblical Counseling school. There are no true "integrationists." Dr. Scott is a neouthetic counselor, and then there are some who are, for lack of a better term, "left of neouthetic." The profs that I have met, have all been great, Godly men.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

When in Louisville, go to Springdale Church. David Butler is an awesome expositor.