1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gershom, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It is you who is playing games. Knock it off. Kibndly discuss the topic in an adult and respective manner.

I posted scripture. I posted the Great COmmission. You reject that it commands women to preach the Gospel. Why?

Do you reject the idea of women preaching? If so, why? What is your scriptural support for this view?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is implied.

Show me in the Bible where men are commanded to use a toilet?

3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Dearest Johnv,

Would you be so kind and gracious as to actually post Scripture rather than opinion to prove your assertion that women are commanded to preach. [​IMG]

Where?? You've yet to post a single verse! You've merely put YOUR "PERIOD" "NUFF SAID" stamp of approval on your claims. How 'bout some actual biblical support?

4. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Thank you, NCT.

5. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

To be a Southern Baptist means you belong to a church that supports The Cooperative Program of the Southern Baptist Convention. There is no such thing as The Southern Baptist Church. What makes a church Baptist is that it believes and practices historical baptist distinctives such as: Baptism is for believers only and in most churches by immersion only, autonomy of the local church (meaning each church decides issues of ordination, polity, even doctrine within widely recognised baptist peramiters), the priesthood of every believer, the soul competency of every believer, and congrgational governing structue.

Baptist are evangelical. Some are reformed and some are not and that is the way it has always been. Only in recent times has The Southern Baptist Convention taken upon itself the task of becoming creedal. That is why many have left.

6. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

I know this was a question to Johnv but I had to jump in here.

Act 2:18 "Yea, and on my menservants AND MY MAIDSERVANTS in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy."
    Can't be prophesying unless your preaching, and good preaching ain't happening unless its prophetic.

Now back to the issue of being Southern Baptist. Until recently the Convention stayed away from ALL issues that were considered to be matters of the local church. The autonomy of the local church is all about a body of local believers following Christ and serving Christ as the Holy Spirit guides that congregation, especially in whom they will or will not ordain to preach, be it men or women. As it stands today, the Convention is on record being opposed to women pastors, but I do not think they have gone so far as to say women should not preach. My question is simply,"Why would anyone who believes that God can call whomever he will, be it male or female, remain affiliated with a denomination that presumes to tell God he cannot do that with women?

But if you do not feel comfortable with women being ordained, you should be right at home in the new SBC. So why fight with those of us who think the Gospel should be preached by all who believe it, and let each autonomous baptist church decide if God is calling one of His maidservants who has obviously experienced a pouring out of His Spirit, as Acts 2 says will happen?

Dave

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to see "politeness" and manners is not totally foreign concept for Baptists.

Women may preach/proclaim/prophesy.

You asked for Scriptures:
    I Cor 11:5 "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven."

Acts 21:8-9 "And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy."

Women cannot biblically pastor but they most certain can "preach".

(And to diffuse possible confusion, in today's terms we think "prophesy" as FORETELLING future events. In biblical terms, it also entailed FORTH-TELLING or proclaiming the truth already revealed.)

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

And what would be the confines, if any, for a woman "prophesying?"

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'd answer that women can preach to women and boys under 12ish but not teach or preach to men. I do, however, believe a woman can witness to an unsaved man! I've found that men will listen to a soft spoken woman. Our church, in fact, will send groups of 3 out to witness. Two men and one woman... Our previous pastor said that studies have shown people will more readily invite people into their home if there's a woman in the group.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Judaism (frm which Christianity borrowed MOST of its "form") women could serve everyone and could minister to other women and children.

The shamash in the synagogue brought out the scrolls and helped "serve" the congregation. Male and female. The local church used the greek word "deacon" to do this serving ministry.

11. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Dr. Bob - "Deacon" is more verb than noun, as I'm sure you would agree. Thus the one church-type usage, Rom. 16:1, has to do with service or ministry, as the word is often translated. E.g., Peter's wife's mother "deaconed" unto them after she was healed; the servants at the Cana wedding
    "deaconed" with the water turned to wine, etc.

You would certainly accept Paul's words as being valid, though obviously many do not. There are some clear limits, to some degree cultural but originally rooted in the fall where "Adam was not deceived."

Re witnessing/visitation groups: best set-up I ever saw was in Chicago. Husband-wife teams came to church (often straight from work), prayed over the prospect cards, went out as couples, with one or two families staying at church to take care of the children and cook a meal. When everyone got back in, they shared what God had done as they ate together.

This was one or two nights a week, usually different couples if two nights. That avoided lots of issues, gave some safety, opened lots of doors.

Merry and holy CHRIST-day! Charles - Ro. 8:28

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

"Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation" This command of Jesus is given to Jesus' followers, both male and female.
    Mark's account of the Great Commission, which I have referred to prior, is self evident on this topic. Now, if you believe that the Great Commission excludes women from the task of preaching the good news, feel free to post scripture that supports your claim.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Thank you for clarifying that point. I've often found that difficult for some to understand, based on a precincieved notion of the word, rather than the scriptural context of the word.

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

As a Southern Baptist in the heart of Southern Baptist country, I can personally tell you that the average SBC member sitting in a pew has no idea what the word "dispensational" means. Although, they may admit they believe it.

Yes, most ARE premillennialist and half have read and "love" The Left Behind Series. :rolleyes:

15. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I have more than studies. My daughter always gets a better response than I do when we go out soul winning together. Of course, I am a lot uglier and meaner-looking than she is. [​IMG]

16. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I should follow up by saying that I have a beautiful daughter (actually 2 beautiful daughters). My previous post could be mistaken to mean that she is ugly and I am uglier. [​IMG]

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

As a Southern Baptist in the heart of Southern Baptist country, I can personally tell you that the average SBC member sitting in a pew has no idea what the word "dispensational" means. Although, they may admit they believe it.

Yes, most ARE premillennialist and half have read and "love" The Left Behind Series. :rolleyes:
    </font>[/QUOTE]The average person sitting in the pew knows little about what the Bible teaches. Most don't have a clue about what dispensationalism is.

18. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

...can't argue with that GB. Our church has started new doctrinal classes for new members. Using the Bible, the teachers will show what we believe and where we find those beliefs in the Bible.

The interesting thing is, when it was brought up to do this in business meeting there were a lot of people opposed to it because they thought it might "insult" people who joined. We stuck to it anyway and it passed and that is what we are doing and it seems to be working well.

This helps to eliminate other denominations from bringing their doctrines into the local church. I think it is a good idea and is working.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I can relate. I have two beautiful daughters. Once, when I said that, someone asked me, "do you have any ugly ones?" I just about spit out my coffee.

20. Karen

Karen Active Member

Except that as a modern Southern Baptist, you would probably ;) say that only applies to a formal church setting, not to the Baptist Board where you actually do a mighty fine job many times of teaching and preaching to men.

Karen