1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists and slavery

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Russ Kelly, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Russ Kelly

Russ Kelly New Member

I would appreciate any information you can give me about when the Southern Baptists recanted their stand on slavery. If nothing else, they should be commended for helping blacks start all-black churches. Has an official statement ever been made?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Russ Kelly

Russ Kelly New Member

Incredible. 150 years. Thanks for the information. I wonder how many times the subject was brought to the floor before 1995.

4. Ben Mills SsBG

Ben Mills SsBG New Member

This is the one thing that has made me not want to be a “Baptist” and strive to be a Christian. I am a History student at California Baptist University and in my History of Baptist Thought class this topic was ban from discussion. Actually, I have found that there are a lot of things that can not be talked about around here. I think that this issue should be really dealt with. I know that there are a lot of African-Americans that are really hurt that the church (Baptists especially) have glossed over this mar on History.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have considered myself a Baptist ever since salvation in 1974. I have never know the slavery issue to be glossed over in my circles. No one can deny the sin of slavery, but no one can deny a loving God who has forgiven that sin and allowed 140 years to pass since it passed away.

6. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think it was a subject that was consciously thought about until it became a civil rights issue in the last century.

Up until the Civil War - Southern Baptist who owned slaves worshipped in the same church with their slaves. Slaves and Slave Owners were members of the same church.

When the Civil War was over - Southern Baptists moved on - Slavery was illegal, Afro Americans went their separate way and that took care of that. It was a non-issue.

7. Ben Mills SsBG

To me it is not the act of slavery but the active segregation of African-Americans. The church as a whole shut its doors to these people. I know that there were isolated instances of inclusion. But holistically speaking the Christian church hated blacks just as much as other people. And the apologies that have been said are nice but do nothing for the racism and isolation still effecting African-Americans today.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ben, you don't have your pm enabled but I wanted to point out that this is a Baptist only forum and you, according to your own admission and profile, aren't Baptist.

Thanks!
    Diane

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would remind you, brother Ben that a goodly number of Baptists split from their Southern brethren of the issue of slave holding missionaries (actually this turns out to be a straw man, but back then it was a real as the sun.) As for the lack of post-War intergration, all I can plead is that up North you had Swedish and German Baptists along side their English speaking counterparts. So, having separate Black Baptist congregations is not too far from the norm of the day.

10. Ben Mills SsBG

This does not make it right does it? And what about today? I think that we need to seek to be one church not 50000 denominations. It is a lot like divorce. The first one is hard but each one after that is easier and easier. Our split from the Catholic Church, which was not meant to be a split, was hard. Each protestant split after that has gotten easier and easier until we are left with all the denominations or versions of Christianity we have today.

11. Wiedertaufen

Wiedertaufen New Member

Baptist are not "reformed." We never came out of the pagan institution known as the Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Catholic Church is Satan's (the god of this world 1 Corinthians 4:4)Church. The Romanist church has never been the Church of God.

12. Wiedertaufen

Wiedertaufen New Member

13. Wiedertaufen

Wiedertaufen New Member

14. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

The Division between Southern Baptists and Northern Baptists was much more complicated than slavery. Most Southerners in the 1840-60's were Episcopalians. As Hardsheller pointed out Slaves and Slave Owners were members of the same church before the end of the Civil War.

The great racial division has much to do with the Northern Reconstruction plan from 1865-77 when White Southerners were stripped of their right to vote but Black Southerners could vote. My own great great grandfather who was a judge in Louisiana, had his home and property taken away from him by the US government and the entire family was left in poverty. The USA stole Southern cotten, took power away from whites and installed blacks in government positions. It was a stupid and immoral idea by the Federal government and they used blacks as pawns and it only guaranteed a back lash.

It is sad that in 2004 there is still division between the races including Christians of the same Doctrinal stripe. :(

15. Slavery is a prophecy of Genesis 9:24-27. God instituted slavery. Slavery will happen whether man tries to stop it or not because it is in the Bible.

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who isn't a slave here ? Hands up, please.

17. Optamill

Optamill New Member

Baptist1611KJV,

Genesis 9:24-27 is a prophecy of the slavery of Canaan to Shem, which came true in the conquest of Canaan by the Israelites. Compare Genesis 10:15-19 and Joshua 24:8-11. This has nothing to do with Africans, who are descended from Ham's other sons, Cush, Mizraim (Egypt), and Put.