1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Southern Baptists churches - are they independenet?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 26, 2014.

?
  1. I am SBC and YES, we are

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. I am SBC and NO, we are not

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. I am IFB and NO they are NOT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am IFB and Yes they are

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am IFB and NO they are not

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. I am neither SBC or IFB, and yes they are

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. I am neither SBC or IFB, and No they are not

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. Other answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does that steal their independence? What, at that point, do they become dependent on?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would that local church want to remain in the SBC as we do not believe in that immorality.?

BTW, the SBC, State conventions, and local Associations do NOT expel local churches. We only withdraw fellowship.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This has, historically, never been part of the proper understanding of autonomy, or independency, of Baptist churches. I'd refer you to Thomas Helwys on this, and a bit of John Smythe.

One of the aspects of autonomy is also accountability. If a network, or association, of autonomous churches feels that one member is operating outside the agreed upon confession (and again its different than a creed) than they can vote to remove, or disfellowship that community without impugning autonomy. Mind this difference: the association isn't forcing the disfellowshipped church to change whatever given practice or belief that are the grounds for disfellowship. Instead they are stating that this member body is no longer within the same ideological camp as the others and needs to be separated from this group.

The major difference between autonomous and non-autonomous churches (be they presbyterial or episcopal in polity) is that the other two examples the local community loses the right to the property and leadership. As they are disfellowshipped they are removed from the local establishment where they convened for worship and assembly since it is not theirs but the synod or bishopric.

It is an important difference. :)

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Churches have one set of rules and missionaries, etc., have another. Which, considering missionaries, etc are ultimately accountable to the convention messengers and they have established rules that don't apply to themselves. Not unpresidented in baptist life. Independent Baptist churches do this type of thing as well.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and of late, Many Episcopal churches have in fact lost their buildings over the issue of H0msexual1ty

Some time ago, a church in our local association was dis-fellowship. The church saw no problem when their pastor divorced his wife and married the church secretary.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO, a SBC association - would NOT want to force a local church to change is doctrine. They may encourage - but NOT force.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Zenas. You make a choice because you have that liberty. That is part of what is wrong today - people think that liberty must mean freedom from responsibility. No one is preventing Crescent Hill Baptist Church from ordaining homosexuals. But if they do then a consequence is that they can no longer affirm that they reject homosexuality as acceptable in the Church (they cannot affirm what it means to remain Souther Baptist).

It has nothing to do with liberty…that’s the craziest thing I’ve heard in awhile. Think about it. Crescent Hill Baptist took part in a convention which stands against homosexuality (that is one of a few issues defined by the SBC) but at the same time they want to condone homosexuality….and you think it’s a matter of independence or liberty?????

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Congratulations!!!! QuantumLeapofFaith---has scored a 100 on his Southern Baptist Polity exam!!!:type::type:

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I beg to differ. No one will tell you your pastor must have a seminary degree. No outside board will examine someone who aspires to be your pastor. But put a woman in your pulpit and soon you will be banned from sending messengers to conventions and required to remove any and all SBC owned symbols from your premises. So yes, there is an external control over who gets to be a pastor in the SBC. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but I am saying that those who think SBC churches are truly independent are engaging in ecclesiastical fiction.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no controls about who "gets to be a pastor in the SBC." Pastors are over local churches and each church can choose who ever they want. The SBC imposes no restriction at all. But when they do then their action is a denial of SBC belief... it's the local church, not the SBC that makes that decision and that break from SBC belief.

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Yes it is but it's not the only difference. And whether a congregation can keep its property when it no longer belongs to the denomination really depends on what state you are in. Just because Baptist congregations don't lose their real estate doesn't make them independent. They do lose other property, such as the right to the SBC name in conjunction with their own name. Also, and I'm not sure about this, I believe their members would lose access to the SBC Foundation as a vehicle for charitable giving. It's also possible that their pastors would lose access to Guidestone for their retirement.

12. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Again, being disfellowshipped isn't a condition of autonomy.

These churches, for instance, the woman pastor, aren't forced to change anything. They simply aren't part of a voluntary association anymore. They retain local control and local leadership.

If you make a condition autonomy freedom to associate regardless of doctrinal belief, than you have a flawed definition of autonomy.

13. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

See my answer to JonC in Post No. 19.

14. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Guidestone is available for pastors of any church, regardless of SBC or not. If I were to leave the SBC affiliated church where I'm serving and head over to a Bible church, than I can still give to Guidestone. Even if I'm Lutheran I can still give to Guidestone.

You can be Episcopalian and still give to NAMB or IMB through a direct offering. I'm not sure why you would, but they'll take your money.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree. But the fact of the matter regarding the church in question is that they stopped being Southern Baptist when they rejected SBC doctrine. I'm sure they expected to be shown the door.

16. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The denomination, and make no mistake about it that's what it is, provides a number of services to local churches that are no longer available if you aren't a member.

There is no practical, functional difference between expelling and withdrawing fellowship.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their liberty is in tact. Cooperation or not in no way infringes on autonomy. It is not even reasonable to assume so.

18. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Without arguing the point, what is the practical difference between a confession and a creed, except that Baptists have confessions and Catholics and mainline Protestants have creeds?

19. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

You have an atrophied concept of liberty, but I will accept that because it's really a matter of semantics and whose definitions you use as to who is right on this point.

20. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Its an extremely good question.

Creeds are doctrinal statements that force conformity to the faith.

Confessions are agreed upon statements of faith, such as the Second London Confession and the BFM2000, but are not required for faith.

It has been, rightly, said that the difference between the two is application. Both are doctrinal documents that help clarify and define the faith. However, they are different in the orientation of their application.

The initial creeds of Christianity are helpful documents for clarifying the faith. However, as you get into later Roman Catholic creeds following the establishment of their Church (usually post-Gregory I) there is a requirement inherent in these creeds that lends itself to determining the salvation of some who accept it or who do not.