1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists Joining PCA?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Apr 15, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

This morning I listened to SB Baptist pastor Mark Dever introduce Ligon Duncan, senior minister of a Presbyterian church in Mississippi.

During this introduction Dever said that more Southern Baptists are becoming Presbyterians.

Is Dever correct?

Source

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have no idea since I'm Independent Baptist. Unfortunately, most of the Baptist churches in Florida are southern Baptist, and I don't like them as well as the northern Baptist.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That message would be from 2 years ago. My husband is at that conference right now (it started this afternoon).

I can only give my experience. We moved from a Presbyterian church to a Baptist church (hubby was an elder at the PC then became a pastor at the Baptist church). I also know atleast 8 families who moved from that Presbyterian church to our Baptist church too. So in our case, more are becoming Baptist than Presbyterian.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

This is now twice that I have heard you say that. When life gives you lemons make some lemonade. :thumbs:

Are you in Florida as a retiree? If yes, Then make a difference if you are called to do so. You said in another thread that you had some seminary training, then put it to use and teach.

Are you in FL just till the snow melts? If yes, then accept the Churches as they are (unless there is gross heresy being taught) and stop this slander on Hudson's Baptist Churches. Please.:saint:

Just razzing you Jon, you are very welcome to the State of Florida. :thumbs: I do hope that you can find a Church that you can worship in with one mind and accord. Not the Honda but in Unity.:1_grouphug:

#4 Palatka51, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't know, but it would not surprise me. Some Southern Baptist Churches have gotten so, how do I word this???, James Dobson/Republican/Mushy, you know...?? People want the truth of the Gospel, they don't want political stuff. My brother was attending a Southern Baptist Church in South Carolina when he lived there and he complained that they praised Bush more than they praised the Lord. I don't know if he was being serious or sarcastic but he stopped attending that church. There are some wonderful Presbyterian churches out there. Gospel preaching, Bible teaching, wonderful churches. I am Southern Baptist and will remain so. The church I belong to is wonderful. If you like a short, bald, a.d.d. pastor who speaks the truth. This past Sunday he got so worked up he was halfway down the aisle preaching before he turned around. I am sure some of the visitors were wondering if this was really the First Baptist Church or some sort of Pentecostal Church with the wrong sign out front. :laugh: I loved it!! He got that worked up while preaching on Matthew 10:34-39. We are going through Matthew in the morning.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Have you checked out the free downloads on Together for the Gospel? They are quite good.

Well, since SBs and Some Presbyterians share the same platform in all these conferences, with the exception of a few doctrinal differences, neither am I surprised.

Fiery preaching is the way to go, my brother. I love it! :thumbs:

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

There you go! :thumbs:

8. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I went to T4G this year and it was a blessing!

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are they Calvinists?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hubby said the same thing - and I'm taking some of those books for myself! LOL - I'm certainly sneaking that little Bible into my purse.....

I'm wanting to listen to Sproul's message - I heard it was excellent.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I've listened to it a few times. Yes, it is quite good. Sproul is a masterful teacher and theologian, though he's wrong on pedobaptism (I had to get that one in :laugh: )

12. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

You gotta love them free books!

As technical and theological Sproul's lecture/sermon was, it was surprising on how limited he looked down at his outline.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Sproul is a walking theological encyclopedia. I'm amazed at his knowledge.

Well, I'm getting a free book but the hard way. I have to review his "Truth of the Cross" on my blog to get a copy. I don't know how free that is. :laugh:

14. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I could not say for sure but in Orlando a lot have made the move due in part to Sproul's teaching and by others who are or lean toward Calvinism.

It could be like it was in the other direction in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's, moving away from the Presbyterians to Baptist Churches to move away from Calvinism.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I grew up in a PCA church in Gulfport, MS. To answer an above question, yes, they are very Calvinistic. However, I do not see how one could reconcile beliefs about baptism we hold with the PCA. Also, their form of government is elder representation, and are under the authority of a presbytery, as opposed to congregational governnment to which we hold, and autonomy.

16. givengrace

givengrace New Member

I actually have a friend who has been un churched for many years but was Raised in a Presbyterian Church and attended that same church of and on over those same years but showed no spiritual growth. That has now found a church recently that she say's she likes that is a Holiness KJV only church. While I'm excited she's found a home church and knowing her beliefs and thoughts on political / Life issues. I just thought to myself "What a Culture Shock"

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He's also a cessasionist (know I didn't spell that right). But that's OK. We love him anyway. :D

18. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Youre a charismatic baptist?

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you mean charismatic like I think of - as being the kind of person who jumps around in worship (I'll certainly sway and tap my foot though), or who is into signs and such, nah. But I do believe that God still will speak to us through prophecy and tongues (but not as often as the charismatic would have us believe it does), and I myself have been healed and I've been around others who have been too, so I don't doubt that the gift of healing is still around today. But again, I don't believe in the charismatic healing services that are held each week at a local church nor do I believe in prophecy that is "new" - speaking against Scripture. As for tongues, I know those who have spoken in their own language yet have been understood by others who do not speak the language so something happened there! :)

But I certainly wouldn't consider myself charismatic.

From what my hubby told me, at the conference, RC Sproul's son in law was sick (or someone close to him) and they were going to pray for him - and one of the other men teased RC about the fact that they're praying for healing for a relative of a cessationist. :D

20. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Interesting..

Yeah CJ Mahaney who is a "continuationist" (sp?) prayed for RC and his son-in-law. Paraphrase of Mahaney: "It's probably a good idea that a continuationist prays right now" [with chuckles]