1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists Now In Decline

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, May 3, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you posted just to say your going to post.:laugh:

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

DonnA--No, focusing on evangelism does NOT leave us with a flock of weak milk babies as opposed to meat eaters.

First and foremost, there is no justification without regeneration. None. Period. So there is no way a truly born again person is not gonna be changed from the inside out.

Now, I totally and completely would agree with you there needs to be instruction in righteousness. And that means I believe we need a very strong training union or discipleship training program. A really really really strong one.

But what I have watched in being SBC since 1968 is this:

When we focused on soul winning, we expected new converts to become soul winners. That expectation lead them straight into really digging into the Bible so they could learn how to live to have a viable witness. It lead them to really get in there and learn and memorize scripture so they could evangelize and answer the questions of the lost. For myself, that meant earning the old Baptist Doctrine Diploma through independent study rather than waiting to be spoon fed.

In teaching them those things they needed to know in order to become soul winners, we also exposed unsaved visitors to the gospel. We made the baby Christians hungry and thirsty for the pure Word of God.

And they grew. They matured.

But then a change came over the SBC in the 1980's--and I am not talking about the conservative resurgence or fundamentalist takeover, which ever way your wagon tongue points.

I am talking about the "me generation" effect that hit secular culture moving into the church. That is when we began moaning and groaning if we were not "being fed meat as I am beyond this baby stuff". That is when we really began the worship music wars, each of us wanting our own style. That is when we began thinking the purpose of the church was to minister to and bless the church members.

Hogwash. My Bible tells me we live in a time when we already have everything we need that pertains to salvation and godliness. When we are not supposed to need another to teach us. (Nothing wrong with good teaching, but it is not a NEED for the saved if it keeps us from evangelizing. We have the Holy Spirit and our Bible, so if we are starving it is because we refuse to dine. They have neither, and so know real starvation of the soul.)

We can get in our holy huddles and comfort ourselves that we understand the Word so much more deeply than the other holy huddles. And we just might be right.

Or we can get concerned about the millions headed for hell, and get busy taking the Word to them.

3. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

People have predicted for years its going to happen. People stop going to churches, turn away from God for a variety of reasons. More evangelism isnt going to help the situation. I talked with one man I have known since I moved down here and when I met him he was so gung-ho in being part of the church and things changed in his life and now he rarely goes. When I ask him why he tells me there are too many rules associated with this Christianity thing. I know people make a realtionship with the Lord alot harder than it really is. I know when I first started seeking a church after I had graduated from High School and was brought up all my childhood in the Catholic and Methodist Churches I wanted away from all the tradition, all the rigidness. I knew about God and everything but I didnt know Him on a personal level. Then I entered this baptist church and right away I was like attacked by the deacons and pastor and everything because I didnt know what it meant to be saved like they were talking about. They turned me away from that church and churches in general for the next couple of years. Then one night I met a group of kids at the college and they were like come and join us for this campus night
    and when I got there there were about 200 kids
    all with bibles chatting and discussing the word, talking in prayer like Jesus was a real person. There was no one there telling me I couldnt wear pants and that I couldnt cut my hair there were people there to laugh with me to cry with me and to accept me as I was. There are too many churches out there that have this like list of rules, etc and the more rules the more people want to run away and hence leave the church. For me I go to church to learn about the Lord and His prupose for me. Church for me is not a time of fellowship. Thats after church like at a lunch or whatever...Church is my spiritual food for the week so I can handle whatever life throws at me. Sitting there asking people knocking on doors or comingup to people in shopping centers etc is wrong because people dont want to be pressured and we need to make finding God a time of no pressure...God will fix them as He sees fit but its not to be our job to criticize or judge. Thats why people are going away from the church...way to strict and rigid and sometimes too traditional.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the depravity of man and his desire for darkness instead of light.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

You suggested that preachers and sunday school teachers should be giving evengelistic messages instead of how to live the christian life. If christians go to church and hear evangelistic messages how then has the church fed them and equiped them. They haven't, they have failed.

6. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

How can you say that? People dont want to be in darkness, they dont want to be sad and empty all the time thats why they are seeking..something to fill the void that only the Lord can. I dont know how many times my husband who has been running from the Lord all he has been doing to fill that void in his life. He cheated on me and went to drinking and partying and now has thrown himself into his job as a soldier and it hasnt made him a better person. When I ask him why not try the Lord again he tells me there are too many rules--too many people judge him and criticize him..too many people expect him to be like this changed person overnight. The reason he is running from God is because he walked up on 2 of his friends at a church event talking about his smoking and that a "real" christian would have quit...he walked out and never went back yet. There are too many "holier than thou" christians that give Christianity and going to church and all of that a bad rap...jmho

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joh 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder, as well, how much the decline in baptisms might have to do with the acceptance for membership of those that were baptized in another faith without their re-baptism into the Baptist church.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt it.

You give the SBC far too much credit for the effect of anything they might do politically as an organization on the average member.

I pay no attention to the "politics" of the SBC organization at all. If they exist.

And you have provided no basis in fact for your assertions.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats completely unbiblical. The bible says men love darkness (verse posted by revmitchell), it also says no one seeks after God.
    If a person refuses to go to church, theres only one person to blame. Themselves.
    Anything else is a cop out, Adam and Eve tried it and it didn't work then, and it won't work now.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Bingo!

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I started reading this thread earlier and had to leave it.

I wondered at the time if any denomination is growing. Someone mentioned the "me generation." It's running so rampant and while man has always been sinful and depraved, we've at least had more checks and balances in U.S. society to keep folks in church.

So while I do think the time honored tradition of NEVER touching the roles does have something to do with the SBC, I also think that this is a trend across the board.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Careful agreeing with me. It could get nasty for you.:laugh:

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

HA! I'm tougher than I look ;)

15. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

DonnA--um, I'm afraid you didn't take time to read my last post, or you would have read the part about discipleship training.

Also, we need to remember this: not in church does not equal unsaved. Not in an SBC church does not mean not in church, either.

It is always easier to blame the nasty old world than it is to admit there is even the possibility we aren't doing our jobs correctly.

As to the original topic:

And there is also this: the traditional method of church Sunday a.m. and p.m. and Wednesday night at the churchhouse comes from a whole different cultural setting. It comes from small towns, villages, and a basically rural lifestyle. I can find in the Bible where we are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, but not one word demanding or outlining how we must do it.

I see some former SBC people meeting for Bible study at McD's on Thursday morning since they work during regular church.

I see some former SBC people opting for coffeehouse discussion groups where they can dress informally, ask questions without being shot down, and drop in and out as their schedule demands.

Maybe we need to honestly consider more forms for more folks.

16. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I was just going over this thread and was thinking the very same thing and just about the time I read your post I was ready to post. Bitsy, you stole my thunder.

Anyways, This is systematic in all of Christendom and the Philadelphian Door is closing.

Revelation 3:7&8
    7And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
    8I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know about you, but we are doing our job, as Jesus commanded, teaching people to obey Him, but they must know what His commands are in order to obey them.

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but aren't you fearful of judgement?

I don't disagree with you Rev. Mitchell. The numbers don't lie! But, didn't you fear being removed as a member of the Baptist Church for making such a negative statement?

In my heart, I believe that all American churches are on a decline. They are going to continue this long slide to the bottom as we await our righteous judgment for neglecting the call to "go into the world and preach the Gospel." The church has been "playing" church for so long now, that they really can't recognize the difference between being on fire for Jesus, and simply "luke warm!" It's hard to recognize your own deficiencies and sins while you spend your time judging others, and spreading the gossip instead of the Gospel!.

Thanks for your truthfulness, and the courage to report the truth.

Pastor Paul :type:

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not about one single church.

20. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I agree that the church should always speak out on moral issues. In my view the church should never support a political party or a political candidate especially if that means excluding those supporting other parties or candidates from being welcome in their fellowship.