1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptists Now In Decline

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, May 3, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think they have to be all in the same sermon or lesson being taught. Why can't a pastor preach both evangelistically and to teach the christian? Mine does, and always has.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus did.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

What a surprise, it can be done.
    I don't think a pastor should have to chose either or.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those in prison know what they ought to do but have not done what they knew. Most people know what they ought to do. It is one thing to know and quite another to do it.

If all we needed was intellectual knowledge then there would be no need for an example. That example is personal discipleship.

New Christians imitate what other Christians do.

Jesus' disciples were not only told the what but they were showed by the master himself. It is not the intellectual that gives people trouble and creates rebellion but rather the practical application.

5. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Membership Numbers

I didn't read all the posts, so someone may have already mentioned this...

The SBC reports those numbers that are reported to it by cooperating churches. It is not the business of the SBC (whatever that is..another story for another day) to adjust the numbers reported to it.

I would guess that all churches, SBC and otherwise, need to do some housecleaning in regard to its membership roles.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Relax, brothers and sisters! There's only one church, and Christ is building it, whether you're SB or not.

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I think we tend to forget that God is in control and Jesus is head of the church.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm curious, is God weeding out unbelievers who've been able to creep into church membership.
    Every church has members who were never really saved, some believe they are, and some know the difference. Or prehaps it's you alls favorite word, easy beleivism.
    Either way, I think God is at work.

9. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

You can be a Christian and not go to church. Some people dont have the opportunity and you can believe in God and be saved and then fall away from it they are still saved hence the once saved, always saved.

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I agree with you that you can be a Christian and not go to church. Yet one thing about being a Christian is living life the way God has intended it. One of those ways is being a part of a community of believers. This is for relationship, discipleship, caring for each other, evangelism, and EATING! Plus, I'm sure there are many more biblical reasons for this.

All that to say, the church is one of God's intentions and designs for our lives. Not a big building, but being a part of a local community of believers. You can be a Christian and not be a part of a church, but you can't do it and still live the way God designed us to live.

I've mentioned this before in regards to your posts...but Christianity is not a loner religion, and certainly has nothing to do with anonymity (is that a word?).

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

No lone ranger christians, just disobedient ones who do not gather together for joint public worship of the one they say is Lord and Master.

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'd be a little more concerned with a believer's spiritual condition, in that he/she is not connected, or decieved into thinking that they don't need others, than that they are not "obeying" simply by showing up for church.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

So you think meeting together as the church is not obedience, or that it just doesn't matter.
    The bible clearly says something different, forsake not the assemling together of yourselves. God calls for obedience of His people.

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'm just saying my initial response is not that the person isn't being obedient...that reponse puts me or you in a position of unfounded authority; wondering why they aren't obeying. My initial thought is what has gotten in their mind to thinking that they don't need the church, and how it is effecting them.

The purpose isn't so they obey the list we think the Bible makes for us...but that we understand, and live out, the reason the Bible calls for us to meet together.

15. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

We do need to remember where two or three are gathered in His name, He is there.

It doesn't have to be at 1st Baptist Church. It might be at Starbucks.

Yeah, you can tell I've lived part of my life where there were not enough Baptists to support the whole building/fulltime preacher/organized church thing.

Are any of you suggesting when the Roman Catholic church was the only one available I should have joined in there?

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Nope...like I said, it isn't so that you "obey" by "showing up" to any ol' organized gathering. But that you are actually experiencing the church by gathering together. When I say experiencing, I mean you are being accountable to others, cared for by others if/when needed, that you are doing the same to them, praying, worshiping, learning, giving, etc.

There are tons of people "showing up" that are doing none of those things. But thank God they're "obeying" (ummm...sarcasm?).

There are others not showing up, but are probably craving some of the benefits of being a part of the church. My first concern is not that they are "disobeying".

17. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Jn 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. (ESV)

18. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Getting a little out of context there aren't you? That isn't about going to a Church building.

19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Donna, it seems you are blinded into the whole "brick and mortar" thing. Assembling together doesn't have to be in the "brick building with the white pillars." The Church is His people and can get together and worship and fellowship in any number of places. The "church" is going through troubles with numbers because people are, rightly, tired of all the traditions of men.

#79 JerryL, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  20. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Are you serious?!

So tell us....what exactly does this verse mean? Who is it talking about?

Don't take what we are talking about and apply any ol' verse to it. The Bible is a little more complex than that.