1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sovereign Grace as it should be!

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by TCassidy, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh...yea...I almost forgot...the "agenda" Roflmao Laugh

You and SG still paranoid about the "agenda" Laugh ..... back to needing a "have you been drinking" button.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far the only blood spilled was that of Baptists in Boston by the Puritans. Remember Obadiah Holmes??

3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

No, I do not recall this at the moment.

4. Internet Theologian

[false accusation - edited]

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You told me that "logical orders" are not temporal and are not chronological. You said that the "logical order" of salvation is that men are regenerated because men cannot believe when they are dead. If we are going back to my argument that "logical orders" are by necessity chronological then let's talk about regeneration again.Laugh

Internet Theologian has the passage....again, let's not get ahead of ourselves until he has had a chance to look it up. :D

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whipped so badly by the "Puritans" he almost died. His primary antagonist, Samuel Newman, should have known better having been similarly treated in England for being a "nonconformist."

But Holmes didn't let it stop him. He pastored the Baptist church at Newport, founded by John Clarke, for over 30 years.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't play coy, IT...spell it out. What is this agenda you speak of? Can you articulate exactly what you are trying to accuse me of or are you just broad brushing some accusation to fill in later?

I don't mind when people call others out on issues. This is a debate forum. But some here have a nasty and ungodly habit of making vague accusations without substance. I don't expect IT to respond as insofar as his claims goes he's lost as last years Easter egg. I do not have an agenda, much less an "anti-Cal" agenda. His is a foolish claim.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our regeneration takes place in time. :) And even then, it is impossible to separate one from the other (regeneration and faith). To say that faith comes first, and is responsible for regeneration, is a grave error. All are the simultaneous result of the application of the Grace of God to the life of the sinner, completely lacking in any spiritual or moral merit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really I'm just trying to see if IT has the integrity to defend his statement. I do not care much about "logical orders", but I do view election as God electing out of fallen man (not "in time" but in effect....God choosing a people out of a fallen race). I know we are not talking temporal here. And this was only one example I offered (it just happened to be the one IT claimed was revealed by God but that I have missed).

When I was in the Army we used to say "put up or shut up." Mostly this was when we were playing cards. It's calling one's bluff. Internet Theologian has made some wild claims about an "agenda", about me being "anti-Sovereign Grace", etc. But he has yet offered one single proof of his allegations. That's called gossip...and yes, it is a sin.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, “It isn't so much that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.” :D:D:D

11. Internet Theologian

I agree that believing in faith as being responsible for regeneration is a grave error. At one time I held that belief. Thank God for the things learned since that time. .

• Like Like x 1
  12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 down, 4 to go. :D:D:D:D:D

Oh, wait, never mind. !!!!!

13. Internet Theologian

Great.

How about this retort, when complimented on one's vast knowledge ('You're so smart'!); 'It's not that I'm so smart it's just that you're so _____' :p

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's all relative. I know. I have some really dumb relatives!

It runs in the family. Oh. Wait! Pretend I didn't say that! :D:D:D:D:D

15. Internet Theologian

Yeah, I know!

We got into a spat the other day. Then we went on a drive and passed this donkey farm, so she sees them and says to me 'Relatives of yours'? and laughs.

I said 'Yep. In-laws'.

Still sleeping on the couch. Laugh

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    tshirt.jpg
    I liked that one, but now I feel like we ran into each other at Target wearing the same dress.....Confused LaughRoflmao

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [QUOTE="JonC δοῦλος,
    I am not playing semantic games. The teaching of what is understood as Calvinism, when scripturally defined is nothing less than revealed truth.The fall, unconditional election,limited atonement, irresistable grace, and the perserverance of the saints are all truths that are revealed.
    You do not believe so....thats fine....I do.
    You can see what you want..
    I see Divine revelation defining theology for man.

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, the way Baptists were treated by Puritan New England, that came real close to a jihad.

#98 Squire Robertsson, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is playing semantic games, brother Icon. Calvinism is a systematic theology. It is man's study of God. Calvinism is a study of what God has revealed to man of Himself and of redemption. But it is a systematic theology and there are areas where human reasoning us used to not only to connect the dots, to answer questions that are not necessarily answered directly, and to interpret Scripture. It is this with all Christian theologies.

I love studying theology, and I hold a Calvinistic view. I like reading how doctrines developed, the discussions and debates surrounding issues, and commentaries regarding various positions. I believe it is important to know why some Calvinists have concluded simply that Christ did not die for anyone but the elect, other's that Christ died for all and election is based on divine decree from that point, and yet others who believe that Christ died for all but not in the same way or for the same purpose. My understanding is particular redemption as summarized in the quote I provided by Edward Polhill. But these people do not hold understandings out of ignorance or confusion. They simply disagree on interpretation and reasoning out of Scripture.

The same goes for non-Calvinistic positions. John Wesley did not lack understanding. He actually brought out truths that were not of primary focus to other views. I believe he was mistaken on many points, but he was not void of understanding. Robert Picirilli actually discusses Calvinism fairly well for a "Reformation Arminian" (there are a couple of places where I think he misses the mark on Calvinism). But it is not a matter of confusion or misunderstanding. It is the human element, the potential for error in systematic theology....all systematic theology to include Calvinism. People can understand each other yet still disagree. What is valuable in discussion is not necessarily agreement but understanding.

I know that you are not so foolish or paranoid to assume I have an agenda against Calvinists. My view is Calvinistic. But I also know that we disagree on issues. I would like for our disagreement to be one of understanding, not of ignorance of where we disagree. That has been my purpose in many of our discussions.

I wish that you could grasp the depth of scholarship and study, the issues and debates, the circumstances and presuppositions, that have colored various theologies. I wish that you understood the impact the Reformation had on the development of the doctrine we hold so dear. It is not necessarily that a doctrine is wrong, but that it is a product of both scripture and extra-biblical sources. Until you can see that, it is impossible for you to truly evaluate the doctrine you hold. Does that mean Calvinism is wrong? Of course not. But it does not mean it is right either. It is just as legitimate a theology as many non-Calvinist theologies because what is different is human reasoning, not Scripture.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, well, you may wear a dress when you go to Target, but which restroom do you use? :D:D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.