1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spanish Translation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Butterflies4mami, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Butterflies4mami

Butterflies4mami New Member

Does anyone here know anything about Spansh Translations? In short my husband & I were attendind a Spanish branch of a church down here, and all of a sudden after the English College opened a Spanish branch,which was growing by leaps and bounds, the English church decided that our Bible was in error. We were given a choice of change Bible or Shut down, so we all left! 400+ members, we were very hurt. My husband and I after relocating realized it was a Big thing in the IFB realm... with exsisting Spanish ministries.. the Pastor sent out tapes to all churches around him, and MOST of them shut down thier Spanish ministries. Now my husband has to start his schooling over again.Now in the English we are KJVO, but hold the same value of our Spanish Bible. What gets me is how does someone who doesn't speak a lick of Spanish figure a Spanish Bible is mistaken? :confused:
    Any help would be great!
    In Christ , Peggy

2. Anti-Alexandrian

The 1865 Cipriano De Valera:This Link will show a comparison of Spanish Bibles and how to obtain a 1865 Valera Bible. [​IMG]

3. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

4. 3John2

3John2 New Member

I read Spanish & use several Spanish translations. I have the Reina Valera 1960, Biblia de los Americans, Dios Llega al Hombre, Nueva Version Internacional, & recently obtained a Reina Valara 1603 New Testament. Apparently THIS one is the closest to an equivalent of the KJV. It is translated out of the Received Text. If you want more info on that e mail me & I'll give you the e mail of the gentleman who gave it to me who is a Baptist Missionary in Honduras.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

I find it somewhat amusing that HomeBound & Anti-Alexandrian posted exactly the same link. Great minds think alike, I guess.

6. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

It's truly sad to hear a story like this -- an effective gospel-preaching, disciple-making ministry among Spanish-speaking people has been seriously undermined by "versionolatry." :(

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same mistake was made with the Latin Vulgate by the Church of Rome.

However they were a little more severe than just shutting down a Church for not accepting the Only authorized Bible or using a vernacular translation.

this is what ultimately happens with the error of any only-ism.

HankD

8. saul^paul

saul^paul New Member

Hi Butterflies4mami,

Yeah I am very familiar with the Spanish Bible Issue I would love to chat with you about it, I added you to my YIM.

But yeah as far as a spanish bible and the KJV the closest would be the older RV bibles seeing they are based on the "Traditional Text" or should i say the "Textus Receptus" but my theory is the 1865 Cipriano De Valera (could) be the closest to the KJV seeing it was revised after the KJV was in circulation. The most common and popular spanish bible today is the RV1960 because of the Language was revised and it was very similar to the RV1909. But the reason why fundametalist reject the RV1960 is because Eugene Nida was head of the translation committee for the RV1960 the same Eugene Nida that was on the committee for the Revised Standard Version.

Its sad to hear about what happened to the hispanic mission. Thats what happens when hispanic missions are started as para-church ministries. Its rare to see a hispanic para-church ministry become autonomous. The ideal para-church situation is to make a covenant with outlined details and have both parties sign it. That way both parties are bound by it and no one gets hurt.

Im curios what bible where you all using and what bible did they say was the correct spanish bible?

9. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

This is simply untrue! The editorial committee members for the RV1960 were Juan Diaz G., Honorio Espinoza, Francisco Estrello, Alfonso Lloreda, Henry Parra S., and Alfonso Rodriguez H.

"Final decisions as to the text of the Reina-Valera revision rested with the Editorial Committee which was set up for the program, for once the committee had been named, the Bible Society representatives [Nida and Twentyman] were only advisers to the Committee and had no vote on decisions." --Nida, Eugene "Reina-Valera Revision of 1960," The Bible Translator. vol. 12, No. 3, 1961. p. 111.

10. saul^paul

saul^paul New Member

11. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

No. Once the committee members were named, Nida had nothing more to do with the project.

12. saul^paul

saul^paul New Member

It seems by this article above the one you posted earlier says:

Secretary Nida and Mr. John Twentyman, representing the British and Foreign Bible Society, often met with the committee, but only to assist with arrangements and to provide any help the committee might require, but they were not members of the committee. [Emphasis mine]
    “New Light From an Ancient Lamp: An Introduction to the 1960 Revision of the Reina-Valera Version” p. 43. From the archives of the American Bible Society. August, 1959.

But i think it is still true why fundametalist reject the RV1960 is because Eugene Nida involvement.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We are in the last days. Things like this are happening all over.

Sounds like it is time for the 400+ members to start their own church.

These kind of people never cease to amaze me. They care more about the brand of translation than the people for whom Jesus died. They revealed who they really are. Even Jesus quoted from different translations.

14. saul^paul

saul^paul New Member

I do believe translations, doctrine, and practise are all important 1Tim 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

But I think in this case the main church either changed their position or became aware of the issue, nevertheless the main church started the para-church ministry and should have had more compassion on their fellow christians, i mean the hispanic church didnt change their theology. Im assuming the main church was a Independent Baptist Church which it is not uncommon for them to act like that.

Well it would have been easier for them to start their own church if they hadn't spent all thier money giving to the main church (only assuming thats what they did). But yeah time to start their own church.

15. Butterflies4mami

Hello-
    Sorry didn't realize people were adding to this topic. We use the Reina Valera 1960. And we were told to use the 1909 version. I am not an expert on all the technical issues surrounding this controversy, but, I know what I've been a part of and which version I've seen scores of folks come to Salvation through, and the Lord's hand is upon the vast majority of men who preach/teach with this version.
    I believe the major mistake is that some of the KJVO people, of which I am a part( in the lesser sense) are comparing the 1960 to the KJV, but, the KJV is not what it should be measured by! It should be measured by the Greek, Hebrew, and by the Spanish language. I guess the English speaking folks are the only ones who have the Word of God presrved in thier language! :rolleyes: Well, I know first hand what happened down here, but I do not want to openely bash on anyone. [​IMG] I also agree that a spanish church is much better off starting solo, just as a mission work. After the split we went to another work, and it is no longer running now, from pressure of surrounding pastor big doggs! How sad! :( Well, just to let you know the split is now running several hundred on Sundays, scores are coming to Christ, and we are getting funds for our own land to get a building built! I guess GOd sticks up for those who stick up for his Word!
    In Christ,
    Peggy

16. Butterflies4mami

Saul Paul-
    From what is going on down here, they are saying it doesn't "agree" in several certain Scriptures with the KJV, but again my issue is that the KJV is not the measuring stick to be used! Also, as anyone that knows any spanish would , I think agree, if you translate a certain word out of the Greek/Hebrew... into English, and then Spanish, the word would be equal to what it was translated FROM, but not nessesarily to each other! I am no scholar, but it seems to make sense to me? :confused: Well, also we were told not merely to change to the 1909, but also with the understanding that it was not a "good" translation, but, better for the time being, because it "was closer to the KJV."In other words, we have NO Bible in the Spanish language. Honestly, alot of this ,I believe, stemmed from old fashioned jealosy. Out growing even the ministry it was started by! Ouch!
    In Christ,
    Peggy
    Is. 6:8 [​IMG]

17. saul^paul

saul^paul New Member

Amen, im glad everything is working to the better God is good.

Here is a good analysis of 1,084 pasages using the greek text "Textus Receptus" the RV1960 is at like 82.8% so it is evedent that the TR was used in the translation but why did it fall short (i have my own conclusions) but the older RV's are in the upper 90's of the analysis the RV1865 is at 97.2% and thats pretty darn close.

But I dont doubt the RV1960 can save souls and produce sound christians but texual speaking its not the best wither you compare it to the Textus Receptus or the King James.

Rex Cobb, quien fue misionero en México por muchos años, hizo un análisis de 1,084 pasajes donde hay diferencias entre una edición del Texto Recibido (versión Berry) y los textos críticos. Veamos las veces que se encontraron una omisión, un cambio o adición en una variedad de Biblias:

Enzinas 1543...........................81 92.5%
    Reina 1569..............................86 92.1%
    Reina Valera 1602.....................57 94.7%
    Reina Valera 1858.....................55 94.9%
    Reina Valera 1862.....................113 89.6%
    Reina Valera 1865.....................30 97.2%
    Reina Valera 1909.....................117 89.2%
    Reina Valera 1960.....................186 82.8%
    Reina Valera 1977.....................280 74.2%
    Reina Valera 1995.....................209 80.7%
    Nacar-Calunga.........................861 20.6%
    Biblia de las Américas................866 20.1%
    Nueva Versión Intl....................865 20.2%
    Versión Popular......................746 31.2%
    Reina Valera Actualizada............795 26.7%
    Traducción Nuevo Mundo..............990 8.7%

18. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Hi Butterflies, I've read your PM and have replied...I do not know any Spanish(except about 30 words, and 20 of those are numbers! :eek: )I've heard the problem with our mutual "friend" is that he thinks the Spanish should be translated from the KJV instead of where the KJV was translated from, the Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew MSS. Am I wrong about him?

19. Butterflies4mami

Pastor Kevin-

You are right on the money!
    Things went down very shadily down here! It wasn't a matter only of the Bible Edition issue, but also how we were treated and when it took place. We were asked to leave after our big day of 750 folks, we had taken up an offering for a building to be built.. we were outgrowing ours, and we were "let in on this problem after the special offering was in the hands of the English church counter-part.Catch my drift? But, our gracious, and godly Pator, said to let things be because we did owe a great deal to them. It hurt though a lot of folks gave sacrificially.
    In Christ,
    Peggy

20. Butterflies4mami

Just wondering too:
    My good and godly hubby was let me in on the whole Spanish Bible issue! hee-hee. Today we had a good long talk about it as we went shopping w/ the kiddies. Well, if any of you guys want to talk to him about the Bible issue, you can email me and I'll tell him, or if you prefer I can give you our # at home to talk in depth w/ him! He is in the middle of it all... and has had some schooling on the issue from some of the best spanish teachers on the issues. He makes a lot of sense to me and has a oodles of papers etc. on the issue- so let me know!
    In Christ,
    Peggy