1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spanish Translation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Butterflies4mami, Nov 19, 2003.

1. saul^paul

saul^paul New Member

I remember turning down a opportunity to start a hispanic ministry. The anglo church wanted the money that was taken up in the hispanic church to be put into their main budget. I was told at first by the pastor that yeah that it wouldn't be a problem you all could manage your own money but after the deacons meeting I was told that it wasnt possible. Im glad it didn't work out.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Amen, preach it!!!

3. Butterflies4mami

Butterflies4mami New Member

Saul-Paul,
    I was thinking about the missionary you said did the comparison of the texts in the different editions. But, in all honesty don't you think that the more revisions there are the more differences you will find? I bet you will find a certain % of "changes" between the orig. 1611 and the first revision and an even higher % between the 1611 and the 2nd edition. Doesn't that make good common sense? BTW, the hubby said that since the spanish language has changed so rapidly in the last 100+ years, hence the later edition was necessary. And from what I understand the English language has not changed its meaning drastically recently.
    Hubby conveyed this example to me so I let you all in on it! One of the passages that the 1960 is "clearer" on: in one passage the word (ella) is used in the older edition for God , which means she-now he or she( El,ella) is a correct spanish word translated out of the greek, but today it could and would present a problem because it could be said that it was either " the Holy Virgin" or "the Holy Church" and not God almighty, that would be a huge problem for those being saved out of the Catholic church, which is a vast majority.
    In Christ,
    Peggy

4. saul^paul

saul^paul New Member

Of course but why would you need to revise a critical text other than making the language more modern. Unless the translators thought there where some other greek text more accurate.

I agree that the older versions needed revised because of the language, example: 2Cor6:2 salud-vs-salvacion and Gen1:1 crio-vs-creo Im also willing to go as far as to say that their should be a Hispanic Bible that uses ustedes-vs-vosotros. Now I dont see anything wrong with revising but dont alternate, add or omit text.

5. Butterflies4mami

Butterflies4mami New Member

To be quite honest w/you I am not as familiar w/ everything concerning this Bible problem, as I am w/ the english world. Like I said hubby is very informed on the subject.
    In Christ,
    Peggy

6. saul^paul

saul^paul New Member

Butterflies4mami:

The only thing I havn't studied out very thoroughly in the Reina Valera Bibles is from wich Textus Receptus Editions did each version derive from. That will be a interesting study I wonder how much digging I will have to do to find out that info.

Well my intentions are not to defend or destroy any certain Reina Valera Bible but just merely state what I know about the spanish bible issue.

I would love to chat with your hubby about the issue here or on AIM. Im suprised this topic hasn't had more comments than it has actualy this topic is how i found out about Baptist Board. I guess because it a primarly english forum.

7. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Pretty sad to see some KJVO Anglo dictating what Hispanics can & can't read in their own tongue. So in this case they wound up with NOTHING?! Way to go man!!! I'd hate to be in their shoes when they stand in front of God accountable for THAT action. That's like closing down a church/mission because all they have access to is the NIV or NLT instead of KJV. Gimme a break!!! Sounds like logic straight from the pit of hell.