1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spanking

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

What do you think about spanking? Is it okay to spank your children? Do you feel that there are better ways to discipline your children then spanking them? Looking for your thoughts and any scriptural and/or scientific support for an speech [​IMG]

UNP, Adam

2. SAVED4LIFE

SAVED4LIFE New Member

I use spanking as a last resort. Of course, my children are 6 and 2 so it's more of a "swat". When I was a child my parents used the belt, I don't think that is appropriate.

3. Bob Landis

Bob Landis New Member

The Bible says, "spare the rod and spoil the child". I think we do well when we listen to God.

4. Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

Prov 23:13-14, Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

It worked well on my son, especially in his younger years. I rarely have to chastise him now, and I attribute that to his positive response to discipline. I preferred a stick of some sort.

Prov 29:15, The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

I should note that I also used verbal reproof, without which the rod does little good. And by reproof I do not mean yelling and screaming.

To the glory of God, my son receives compliments on his good manners, most of the time. My sister, who watches him occasionally, could fill you in on the wild times a bit. :) When he gets around her sons they all get rowdy.

--B C

5. Revelation

Revelation New Member

I ,myself, spank my child and he is almost a teenager (by one year) but like others I only do this when need to.

Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. Revelation 4:8b
    Revelation ;)

6. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I'll be honest in that I had feelings of hate for my parents when they spanking me. However, when they put me to work instead of hitting me, these feelings disolved.

I don't know. I guess I just see a better way to discipline a child then spanking them. Here is another question: Is it wrong not to spank a child (noting what it says in proverbs?)

UNP, Adam

7. Brian

Brian New Member

If the child doesn't need spanking don't. Though I've never heard of a child that at one point or another who didn't need a spanking. What my parents told me having raised two of us was to be the parent the child needed not the parent I wanted. I was hardheaded and needed lots of spankings my sister on the other hand required very few.

8. Grace

Grace New Member

I was spanked, and didn't particularly care for it. Never did fully understand why they always said "this hurts me more than it hurts you" I wanted to say, Well, I'm the one that needs punishing, let me swat you for a while. :D
    Even though I found spanking an unpleasant experience, I will probably spank my children (if I ever have any) if the need arises.

9. Amazing_Grace

Amazing_Grace New Member

My sister-in-law uses housework as punishment. I know I definitely feel punished when doing housework.

I think you should spank your child when you have to. Biblical references aside, my brother and I were spanked when we were younger, and we have turned into relatively responsible adults. My little sister was never spanked, and I love her to death, but boy, is she spoiled! Messy, messy....

I think it also helps them to learn to respect you and your authority. That comes in handy in the teen years. [​IMG]

10. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Collins:
    My sister, who watches him occasionally, could fill you in on the wild times a bit. :) When he gets around her sons they all get rowdy.--B C<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh-huh . . . you don't know the half of it . . . :D ;) [​IMG]

Sis

11. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I HATED being spanked! But let me tell you, I LOVE my mother for doing it!

Spanking, in a controlled setting is beneficial...spanking in anger is not. Spanking should always be defined. For instance, I don't spank my daughter for every little thing she does, however, there are specific things that will elicit a spanking. I don't yell and scream, and she knows WHY and how many swats she'll get. It's very controlled.

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

12. Kathy

Kathy New Member

P.S. Times may change, but God remains the same. The Word of God is as beneficial today as it was when it was written.

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

13. Brian

Brian New Member

Not to get off track but something Kathy said gives me a question.

Do you know anyone who is thankful that thier parents weren't strict?

14. Grace

Grace New Member

No, I actually had a friend who admitted that she would have done things a lot differently if her parents had only said "don't do this" If they had given her set rules, instead of trying to say "whatever you do is fine as long as you do it responsibly" she said that her life then and now would be totally different.

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Now remember- i did not say anything about not disciplining children, my question is about the discipline of spanking a child.

At this point I still see that it is better to use other forms of discipline than that of physical forms, though you are starting to build your case up for spanking in some cases.

UNP, Adam

16. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Adam, what would you make of these verses brother?

(Prov 29:15 KJV) The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

(Prov 23:14 KJV) Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

(Prov 22:15 KJV) Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

(Prov 13:24 KJV) He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

17. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

spank early an often and when they're older you won't have to :D

18. Kathy

Kathy New Member

HEBREW for "rod": shebet shay'-bet

from an unused root probably meaning to branch off; a scion, i.e. (literally) a stick (for punishing, writing, fighting, ruling, walking, etc.) or (figuratively) a clan:--X correction, dart, rod, sceptre, staff, tribe.

This is from Strongs

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

P.S. AMEN Bro. Temple!

19. Houstonian

Houstonian New Member

Adam, God gave you a conscience, and it is telling you good, wise stuff right now. We don't spank our son, but we do discipline him. He listens to us, and is appropriately mortified when we reprove him.

The "instructions" in the Bible regarding child-rearing are a little dated. I should point out that no one has yet advocated the Biblical instruction to punish the rebellious child by stoning him/her.

20. Houstonian

Houstonian New Member

I just realized you were asking for scientific evidence. There is considerable evidence that a good bit of "misbehavior" is the result of children moving through natural (and positive) developmental stages (for example, the one-year-old playing with and throwing food is simply experimenting with new textures).

I am not advocating letting the children run the house, or letting your one-year-old ruin the dining room. However, by recognizing that there likely is a non-sinful reason for children's behavior, parents can come up with more appropriate responses to that behavior (possible parental responses to the one-year-old food thrower: easy-to-clean foods, eating outside, or playing in the food with them if you are not too sensory defensive [​IMG] ).

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Houstonian ]