1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Speaking in Tongues ... Does YOUR Church Allow it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 16, 2014.

?
  1. We have members who speak in tongues ...

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. We do not allow tongues, period ....

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. While we recognize this as a viable gift, we do not teach that it is mandatory ...

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. We do not teach that tongues is for this day and age ...

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  5. I know of Baptist church(es) that have tongue talkers ...

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I know some believers who talk in tongues and attend a Baptist church ...

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. I know some pastors that do not oppose the gift of tongues ....

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  8. Our pastor does not oppose the gift of tongues ...

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. This is preposterous, and nothing more than Scriptural heresy ...

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  10. I speak in tongues, and have no problem with it ...

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Dad was pastoring Calvary Baptist in Grand Island in 1980! :applause: But we just checked our photos from those days, and evidently he got there after the tornadoes.

#101 John of Japan, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I stop in Grand Island often...312 exit..Bosselmans/flying j...

Sounds like you did many good works there Dude!!! glad it prompted those memories. Down to earth people,hard workers...that is why they call it the heartland.

#102 Iconoclast, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Does it necessarily matter if the church doesn't support it as long as it is biblical?

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John ...

...scary to think, you may have been one of the teens that my programs to the local junior and senior highs may have been a part of! During YOUth Service Week, I'd send three adults to every classroom to speak about the importnance of finishing school, and becoming a productive citizen. This was a one day a year, massive undertaking, where I had hundreds of volunteers grouped and sent to speak at all the local schools. These folks ranged from college grads to tradepersons, to medical and law enforcement professionals, and they all took a few minutes each to speak about how school played an importnat role in getting them the job or career they currently had. It was well recieved at the pulic and private schools, and in 1979, Grand Island Teachers Association gave me a commendation for my work with youth and programs to help them stay in school and work through problems through the counseling programs I had set up throughout the city and county to identify problemed teens and help them to get to the right people to help them and their parents turn things around! Everything from family counseling, to tutoring programs, to postive role mentoring and groups involvements! It was a fun run, and a blessing! I still have some contacts with kids and parents that were helped in those few years the Youth Service Bureau ran!

Where were you when the tonrado hit? I was under ground, praying that the promise, "Lo, I'll be with you always!" meant in a basement during a tornado! :wavey:

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that truck stop well. I used to do a ride along with the Sheriff's Youth Service Officer every Friday night, and we'd go there for a cup of coffee and, you know what comes next ........ a donut!

One time in an ice strom, we were called to intervene in a husband - wife dispute. It appears the husband was heading to the interstate Holiday Inn to kill his wife, who he had just discovered was in a room with his best friend. All officers were redirected to the HI, and because of the ice storm, it took us 20 hours to travel from downtown GI to the HI. Lucky for us and the other cops, when we all finally got there, the husband had apparently run off into a ditch an hour earlier, and never made it there. We were all fighting the ice, but since were were there, we went into the HI coffee shop and had ......wait for it......coffee and ....what was left of the days donuts! :laugh:

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We remember TV clips from the tornado, but weren't in Grand Island at the time.

My little sister might have benefited from your work! She was still a kid then. She was born when I was 14, and I was the youngest of four kids. She would have been 14 at the time of the tornado, probably. However, in 1980 I was married with a kid of my own, and we were on deputation to come to Japan. We were probably in Grand Island in 1981 to see my folks and preach in Dad's church, before we left for Japan in May of that year.

7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is....

....truly, as someone once said, A SMALL, small small, world!

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, in Pentacostalism as by AoG and others practice, the tongues are ONLY valid sign that one has received the "baptism in holy Ghost!"

Anf they mean " well", but have confused the indwelling of the Holy Spirit with Him infillin us, NOT 2 seperate acts of grace, but all are indwelt, but infilling up to us yeilding to Hom, NOT speaking in tongues!

#108 Yeshua1, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that would be the ONLY valid use for/of the Charasmatic gifts as in Acts for today, as a means for God to establish and plant Gospel in unreached until areas, but even that would be unusually situations, based upon His will!

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    righteousdude2, how do you know that the sounds are a 'prayer language' and not an actual foreign language?

11. Rhys

Rhys Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church follows the formula in 1 Cor. ch. 14: If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

The pastor actually laid out what's supposed to happen. First, a parishioner believes God has given them the gift of a tongue. Then the said parishioner is to ask the pastor if they can share it with the congregation. The pastor makes a judgment call based on whether or not that person has an interpreter for their tongue. Then the person with the tongue and his interpreter go before the congregation. The tongue is delivered by the one, and then interpreted by the other.

If anyone has ever been a witness to this specific formula in action, do tell. I'd be willing to bet that if this church met for a hundred years, nothing of the sort would ever happen.

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Rhys....

To answer your question....or the plan you laid out: YES! That is the way I've seen it done! Any variation of this is not accepted, and I seen a pastor chastise the person for going Lone Wolf!

It is quite a beautiful thing to witness, when it is done in orderly fashion!

As for singing in the spirit and praying in the spirit, that is not neccessary, as it is not for the edification of others, but rather an act between the individual and God! And it too is a beautiful thing to witness, espeically when a church of hundreds breaks out singing in known and unknown languages. It is like angels have descended on the congregation and it is something you'd have to be part and parcel of to truly enjoy!

Thanks for setting us straight! :wavey:

13. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing beautiful about error. I say that but I believe that you are sincere, just sincerely wrong and deceived. Let me offer a test for you to prove that you are not doing the true gift. Find three people who claim to be able to interpret tongues. Set them a little ways apart and Speak your message to them in tongues all at the same time. Have them each write out what you said and then read it back. You will get different interpretations proving you do not have the true gift and they do not have the true interpretations gift.

#113 Judith, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  14. thisnumbersdisconnected

:thumbsup: Seen it done before, several times. Works every time, too.

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

If the Biblical "sign gift" of "tongues" were still in existence as it was back in the days of the NT, doesn't it seem a bit curious to us here in BB land that the God who chose people and/or organizations whose focus is to give His Word to people groups who often don't even have a written language (e.g., Wycliffe Associates, etc.) would not give this "gift" to them?

Instead of spending much of their time trying to learn the language of the people group(s) to which our Lord has called them, I'd tend to think that (assuming that this so-called "gift" were present today) God would somehow miraculously pour out this gift upon these people whom He chose to reach out to these to whom He's called them.

But God doesn't seem to do that to any great extent today--primarily because the so-called "gift"[?] of tongues as recorded in the Bible does NOT exist today.

The only occasions you find "tongues" being mentioned in God's Word are those when the Gospel of salvation was either proclaimed for the first time or when it was re-affirmed to those whose idea(s) of what it meant to receive Jesus Christ as personal Savior were very confused.

Acts 1:8 describes the sequence in which the Holy Spirit sovereignly pour out this "gift":

1) Jerusalem and all Judea -- when it was poured out to the apostles (and the rest of the "120") in Acts 2 ff.

2) Samaria -- Acts 15:3 where it was re-affirmed to a group of John the Baptist's followers who'd been confused about the salvation message that Christ's forerunner had proclaimed to then some time in the past.

3) The Uttermost Part of the Earth -- This would cover most of the rest of the narrative parts of the New Testament. Different people (most notably [but not confined to] the "missionary activity" of the apostles proclaiming the saving and redeeming power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to those scattered throughout the Earth.

This "missionary activity" continues on in this present day and age as God's people--be they preachers or teachers or evangelists or lay people like "Yours Truly."

What a thrill it is to me to know that our Savior has given us the great privilege to proclaim His message of eternal salvation by his precious and holy and saving blood which He shed for His people; and the power of His resurrection in that He rose again victorious over death, hell, and the grave; and the guaranteed promise of His coming again for His people!!

He's already given us our "marching orders" when He commissioned us to "Go ye therefore...."

Let us humbly and boldly obey our Savior's commands with the full assurance that He's with us--no matter what the cost may involve! :thumbsup:

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what additioanl revelations proceeded forth in those cases " from God?"

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

That the ones claiming to speak in tongues don't actually have the "gift," because it died out in the First Century.

#117 thisnumbersdisconnected, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  18. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

A hearty AMEN Brother! :thumbs: [Preachers do like to be "Amened"!]

What goes on today in what heretical churches that permit such nonsense is not at all what God intended this so-called "sign 'gift'[?]" to be used for.

Outside of the various occasions for which "tongues" were used in the places recorded by Luke in the Book of Acts, one only finds this so-called "gift"[?] only in Paul's letter to the local church that met in the Greek city of Corinth (I Corinthians 14 to be exact.)

Various commentators on this Corinthian letter have given different reason(s) why this so-called "sign gift[?]" was used.

I tend to believe that the principal reason that this "gift[?]" may have reared its ugly head in this cosmopolitan Greek metropolis was because in that day Corinth was an important trading city in that part of the Mediterranean Sea.

As a consequence, it would seem that apparently some people (most likely from either Antioch and/or Jerusalem) who had no real idea what they were doing in the realm of the actual purpose God had intended when He chose to pour out "tongues" just went about using what we now would term "tongues."

When the Apostle Paul and his associates arrived in Corinth, they were confronted with this misuse of this "gift[?]."

Did Paul commend the Corinthians for using such "tongues"?

Certainly not! Moreover he condemned them for misusing them! See especially I Corinthians 14:2-40.

There is absolutely no reason given in God's Word for such heretical nonsense for their use once the completed biblical canon found in the 66 books that today we call God's Holy Word!

There is a very severe penalty for those who claim to have an "additional 'revelation'" from God that is found in Revelation 22:19!

That is exactly what these so-called "tongues speakers" are advocating!

IOW, what these rank heretics are saying to us today is essentially this: NOW, I have God's completed revelation! I now can write down what He [supposedly!] told me, and paste that page in my Bible right after the Book of Revelation!

We DO NOT need any further "revelation" from God to know what He intended for us to know when it comes to the things of God!

All that God sovereignly chose to reveal about Himself and our relationship to Him is ALREADY found within His written Word!

I shudder to think what the future holds for these rank heretics who claim to have some sort of "additional revelation" when they face God at judgment day!

19. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Done that...and surprise, surpise!

....all three people in the sanctuary, came up with the word, almost word-for-word! When it's real, there is no denying it!

Of course, I am not about to test God; it is a for real thing!

Let me explain. While I don't speak in tongues [I only use it for prayer and singing], I've heard people get up and speak the tongue, waited for the translation, and then been amazed, because as I stood there, caught up in the moment, I too, could have given the translation as it was nearly word for word what I was sensing within from the Spirits gentle nudge.

Let me take this one step further, sister! There have been times in service, when the pastor asked if anyone had a scripture or word to share with the congregation, and I felt the Spirit's gentle nudge to share a certain word and or Scripture, and as I sat there, too scared to speak, wouldn't you know it sister; someone on the other side of the church stood and read the very same Scripture I had been nudged to share just seconds earlier.

Keep in mind that this kind of thing happened several times when I was still in my infancy stages of tongues and following the nudging of the spirit. Each incident taught me a valuable lesson, and before you knew it, I was more than able to speak straight from the Holy Ghost leading to the congregation, especially in the realm of preaching.

I learned that He was genuinely talking to me, by watching what He gave me to say, pass unto some other person, due to my spiritual timidness!

I look at it this way, Kiddo ... I serve a supernatural God. A God who can do anything and everything we can't do on our own. I have learned that all I need when I preach or speak, is enough faith to trust Him to have the right word for the right time, and greater than great things take place.

Ten years ago, I was asked to preach a three day, four service revival. I studied for weeks, laying out four excellent messages built upon the way my preaching class theory taught me how to do! But once I got to the first night, and saw the church overflowing with a mixture of treet people and regulars; God's Spirit spoke to me and said, "You can preach what you have planned out, and do just fine ... or you can toss out the notes and plans, and lean hard on me, and I will deliver a great revival.

Right up to the moment of stepping behind the pulpit, I was set on preaching from note cards that took several weeks to develop!

But, as I looked out on the people, squished in the pews, sitting in the aisles, standing around the back of the church and sitting on the floor in front of the alters, I sensed that what I had was not good enough to feed the sheep, so I invited God, through prayer, to use me and to pour out of me, his vessel, the words, He himself prepared. I totally moved under the Spirit, and the results were overwhelming. And each service following that one, saw more people squeeze into the mid-sized church, and on Sunday night, when I gave the alter call, we had more than half the people crowded into that building, and now watching television of the service in the Sunday school hall, come to the alter for everything from being born again, to heal from drugs, alcohol, and I saw numerous marriages turned around!

One last fact. The presence of the Holy Ghost was so heavy on that service, that the pastor and I first prayed his staff that had come forward too, so we could free them up to help us pray with the hundred or so souls which came forward that night!

It was amazing, Judith, and I have never looked back. I now preach with the full leading of the Holy Ghost, and the results continue to blow me away!

And that all started with a man of God who was too afraid to share the very same message in the Spirit, that God took from me and gave to another, to get it spoken! Once I witnessed that God would not let the message go unheard, and that He would simply use another to speak what I ws afraid or embarrassed to speak up and say, I learned that if I wanted to be fully utilized by God, for God and of God, I had to step out in faith and act!

Yes, I am SINCERE, and I thank you for seeing that. Nevertheless, allow me to contradict one thing you said:, I am not wrong in a sincere way! God bless you my sister. And in no way do I suggest that you explore tongues. Your hesitation and disbelief are fine. I have seen some wonderful abilities and gifts at work in your contributions to this board, so it is apparent you have mastered the gifts. He has laid upon your heart. Tongues, and the gifts of the Spirit are definitely not for everyone. And these gifts in no way make me superior to anyone else.

For instance, ICON, and DHK have a solid gift in discerning and interpreting the Word of God [although their personal bias keeps them from the topic of tongues], others can debate wonderfully, without the need to let anger of name calling take over.

You, my dear sister, have a sweet spirit, and a genuine love for others, as does HAMel, and Anne. I would not insist that any of these folks even consider tongues, or a prayer language or prophecy, or a heavenly singing voice ... they all have found their place of service in the Body or Kingdom, and tongues will not enhance their skills of gifts one iota!

I just ask that you who seem to think that tongues had its day in the SON, not be judgmental on those who believe that the Holy Spirit like God, was the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. That which He started way back when may not be used as it was on Pentecost, but that doesn't mean it is no longer available in some form, for those who believe it is available.

God gave certain gifts ... gifts that are not meant for all, but nonetheless, gifts that can and will be used to lift up and carry forward the word He began, in earnest, the day He anointed the 120 to go out and build the church her on earth!

Shalom!

20. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are hiding from the truth. Do is like I suggested and you will see that the tongues of today are false as well as the interpreters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.