1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speaking in Tongues Volume 4...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by D28guy, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Now, now, DHK, we wouldn't want to tempt the Lord by using our gifts as the signs for unbelivers that they are intended to be, now would we?

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Hope of Glory,

You badly misunderstand.

We speak of the fact that christians have accidently eaten or drunk things that should have killed them...but they didnt die.

DHK and others are demanding that charismatics and pentecostals commit the sin of "tempting the Lord of God", by deliberately drinking Drano or poison in order to "prove" that we have that gift.

In spite of the fact that the divine protection is identified in scripture as happening when Paul accidently was bitten by a snake.

Fortunetly, we listen God and not folks like DHK and others, so we choose to not tempt the Lord our God as they want us to.

What a sad state of affairs to see christians demand that other christians literally sin grieviously...in an effort to justify that their disbelief, regarding Gods testimony.

Very very sad.

Mike

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Now, what kind of sign is that? Everyone knows he was bitten by the snake and it's verifiable. That was a sign. No one knowing about it would be keeping it a secret, not using it for a sign.

4. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

The gifts of the Spirit as shown in the Bible, and as used today are not "miricles on demand".

God is the author and finisher of our faith. He calls the shots, we just obey.

In love,

Tam

5. tamborine lady

[​IMG]

Mark 8-11 And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him.
    12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.
    13 And he left them, and entering into the ship again departed to the other side.
    14 Now the disciples had forgotten to take bread, neither had they in the ship with them more than one loaf.
    15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.

He said there would be no sign given, and then performed a miracle right after that. You see, He doesn't perform for people who tempt Him or His followers, but He did a miracle for the people who came and were interested in what He was all about.

Luke 16-31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Those of you who say you would believe if you saw someone raised from the dead, would not. You would say , "oh they were not really dead"! Does that sound familier to anyone?

Working for Jesus,

Tam

P.S. I know some of you will say those scriptures were only for the Jews of that day. Too bad you can't use all the bible. There is so much you are missing. [​IMG]

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Then show me one case in which a person who had been given the power of healing had to simply "hope for the best". They always simply laid their hands on and healed.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Mark 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
    --It is an absolute promise. There is no "accidentally in this verse. Hundreds of others take the first part of this verse literally. Thus the preponderance of "snake-handling churches" in various parts of the country.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The miracles of the Bible are not repeatable today. Will you please demonstrate how you can walk on water for us. Perhaps you can cause the sun to stand still, or make an iron axehead to swim? Can you raise a man like Lazarus who had been four days in the grave already--positive proof that he was dead. Can you restore a man's leg to perfect health who had been lame all of his life--let's say for around 37 years?
    There was a "gift of miracles." Peter had it (Acts 5). Philip had it (Acts 8). But none of you have it, nor can you demonstrate it, because that gift has ceased. These apostles could demonstrate it in the various cities that they went and preached the gospel. No, they weren't exactly on demand. But they were used to demonstrate that they were apostles, associated with the apostles, and that their message was the apostolic message--that is the gospel message. We don't need that any longer. We have the Word of God.
    An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, but there shall no sign be given unto them but the sign of Jonah; for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The gospel message is the only sign, the only "miracle" if you will, that man needs today.

That is correct. And in that respect study 1Cor.15:1-4. Obey the gospel, by the which ye are saved. The spiritual gifts can't do that, and they are not for today. Obey the Bible.
    DHK

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

You are quite correct. My error.

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

D28guy,

I don't know if I agree with everything you have said, but I greatly appreciate the fact that you let the Word stand as it has been given to us. Others set themselves up as skeptics and/or critics of what the Lord has said through His precious Word of God--the Bible.

I liked your statement about how the Lord protects His people. Also, notice also what is said in Psalm 34:7. Nothing can happen to the saved except the Lord allows it to happen. Sometime the Lord allowed things to happen to me, though not the snake bit, that I did not like but months down the line I noticed it made me a better Christian and I knew why He allowed something severe to happen in my life. Praise God!

Some fundamentalists who twist the Word and make up hypothetical scenarios prove themselves to be skeptics of the Lord and what the Word has stated once for all.

12. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

No one ever answered my question about prophesy or healing. If we have the gifts of the Holy Ghost, why can no one demenstrate these gifts? why only the one gift of tounges? People seem to be able to perform this gift on demand. Why not the others? The Bible says Tounges are the least of the gifts so why would this be the only gift?

13. tamborine lady

The Lord has used me at different times in at least 7 of the gifts of the Spirit. Tongues is the least of these, but some people get hung up on the little things.

Like people straining at tongues and trying to prove that they don't exist,and they forget to ask about the other gifts that are also alive and well

Peace,

Tam
    </font>[/QUOTE]You must have missed this post Brother

14. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Bro Lowery no offence but the topic is tongues and the speaking of them. I tried on the version 3 of Tongues topic to answer Bro. Brian about raising the dead and then he turns around and tells me I was off topic for answering him. BTW, the man (in the link I posted) that was raised from the dead wasn't dead long enough for Bro Brian, nor was he embalmed yet cause people won't take a persons word for it. I didn't know there was CONDITIONS on how long a person has to wait before they can be raised from the dead or be healed or speak in tongues? What I do see is that they still are going strong. If not why do we hear of people getting healed, or comming back to life after being pronounce dead, or speaking in a unknown language only to be interpreted by another individual. [​IMG]

15. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

All I am at odds with is the fact that I myself have witness these things. The so called healing, you have someone come up in a wheel chair who walks fine, but has what they say is a sprain in there foot. All the sudden they can walk, not really convincing. Now for a blind man to see, the lame to walk, and the deaf to hear. That would be what I would call a gift and a miracle. Tam I seen and read your post could you expand on what these gifts you have been given where and the witness's that seen you perform these gifts. Oh and I have seen and heard the "tounges" and never once have they ever been interpreted and when you have 200 people saying "hebunanadortuyhernatuperesanaputne" "mesallamenteraventusanta" "hefentugabena" all at the same time how is this good? How is falling on the floor gnashing your teeth and shaking and yelling and speaking things no one understands a good thing?

16. atestring

atestring New Member

REv.
    Study the group called Montanist and a man by the name of Tertullian.
    YOu mght find that history will prove that tongues did not cease after the original 12 Apostles.
    By the way the 120 on the Day of Pentecost were not all Apostles!

17. atestring

atestring New Member

No where does the Bible say that Tongues is the least of the gifts.
    Show me a verse that says that Tongues is the least of all gifts.

18. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Rev Lowery,

I have witnessed both healing and prophecy in many many meetings.

Its being mentioned more primarily because that is what this thread topic is.

They are Gods gifts. It is up to Him as to when and how they are manifiested.

It isnt the only gift. All the gifts listed in the scriptures are being manifested in this day and age. And they have been manifested for 2000 years now, though sometimes less frequently.

All of this is in spite of those who choose to disbelieve what is happening, and make up other explanations for Gods gifts happening all around them.

God bless,

Mike

19. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

1 Corinthians 12:28
    And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

And you said it wasn't in the Bible!!!!!

20. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

1 Corinthians 12:29-31
    29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

31But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

According to the charismatic and pentacost all there members have these gifts could this scripture explain why??????