1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Special Days

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Moriah, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

HEBREWS 4 [6] Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:[7] Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS.

You find "harden not your hearts" in Hebrew 4. You also see that in Hebrews 3. Talkin bout the same thing.

HEBREWS 3 [12]Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. [13] But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. [14] For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; [15] While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS, AS IN THE PROVOCATION. [16] For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came OUT OF EGYPT by Moses. [17] But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, WHOSE CARCASES FELL IN THE WILDERNESS? [18] And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? [19] So we see that THEY COULD NOT ENTER IN BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF.

Scripture above (out of Egypt - into the wilderness - those that believed not - destroyed them)
    Scripture below (out of Egypt - into the wilderness - polluted HIS SABBATHS - destroyed them)

EZEK.20 [10] Wherefore I caused them to go forth OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT, and brought them INTO THE WILDERNESS. [11] And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them.[12] Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.[13] But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and MY SABBATHS THEY GREATLY POLLUTED: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them IN THE WILDERNESS, TO CONSUME THEM.

Hebrews 3 and Ezek 20 also speaking of the same thing. So, how do you deny God and Jesus according to this new testament scripture,and walk in the spirit of unbelief. Who are these people and why were they killed in the wilderness? The answer would be very important, as this passage from the NEW TESTAMENT tells us NOT to do as they did and walk with an evil heart of unbelief. When we go back to the old testament to see exactly what the new testament is talkin about we find that Hebrews 3 is speaking of those who did not keep the sabbath and how the Lord was to destroy them in the wilderness because of unbelief. So the scripture in Hebrews 3 is telling us, as believers we must keep the sabbath, and not to walk with an evil heart of unbelief.

2. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Says same thing in the book of Jude

JUDE 1 [1]Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called: [2] Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied. [3] Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of THE COMMON SALVATION, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was ONCE DELIVERED UNTO THE SAINTS. [4] For there are CERTAIN MEN CREPT IN unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. [5] I WILL THEREFORE PUT YOU IN REMEMBRANCE, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

They were brought out of Egypt and destroyed due to unbelief. Keep in mind the wording (put you in rememberence). Remember the... Yeah the 4th commandment of GOD

EZEK.20 [10] Wherefore I caused them to go forth OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT, and brought them INTO THE WILDERNESS. [11] And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them.[12] Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.[13] But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and MY SABBATHS THEY GREATLY POLLUTED: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them IN THE WILDERNESS, TO CONSUME THEM.

The above scripture points out the people that were brought out of the land of Egypt and why they were destroyed. They were polluters of Gods sabbath day. So what about those saints who are also mentioned in Jude? The common salvation?

REV. 14 [11] And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. [12] HERE IS THE PATIENCE OF THE SAINTS: HERE ARE THEY THAT KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, AND THE FAITH OF JESUS.

No song and dance here. All 10. Simply read the WORD and believe.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

It is not written in Galatians,
    "Jews who were trying to tell them that they must observe special days in order to be saved …"
    It is written in Galatians of the Galatians themselves, “Ye observe days months seasons.”
    No “Jews” tried to tell them to keep the Sabbath Day.

"Jews who … visited the Galatians … were trying to tell them that they must observe special days in order to be saved …" on the contrary …
    It is written in Galatians the Jews who visited, despite their racism 2:13,14, taught the Galatians the pure Gospel, 2:8,9; 3:1; and gave Paul the hand of fellowship, 2:9.

“Paul had to form Christ in the Galatians again, because they fell from grace when the Judaisers misled them.”
    It is written in Galatians the Galatians themselves, “observe(d) days months seasons, years.”
    No “Judaisers misled them” to “observe days months seasons”. They inherited their four “first principle [Greek philosophical] no gods” of time, “days months seasons, years” from their pagan ancestors; were converted to Christianity nominally; then “turn(ed) back to (their) weak and beggarly no-gods / idols AGAIN, to be in bondage” to them.

As a RESULT, “The Galatians needed Paul to go through again what he had already done with them before, and that is to form Christ in them again.”

“Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.” Galatians 5:4.
    Here Paul tells us, anyone, “whosoever …” – Jew or Gentile – “… are justified by the law; ye _ARE FALLEN_ from grace” and that’s why such person shall do his utmost best to be justified by the Law. Because anyone who thinks or teaches he “could fall from grace”, never knew grace.

Which truth has nothing to do with the Sabbath in any case. Or do you say that it does? That to be justified by the Law is the same as to observe the Sabbath?
    If that is what you say, then, it is not written in Galatians, in anyway, and I don’t think yourselves know where you got it from.

So yes, for certain, “To think a day saves you is a weak and beggarly principle”. But again, are you trying to say by that, or with the fact “Jesus Christ saves”, that to pay due respect to the Lord’s Day is a weak and beggarly principle and a denial of the saving truth, Jesus Christ saves?
    If that is what are saying, then I must tell you once again, it is not written in Galatians! Not anywhere! Not anyhow! But, that is YOU saying CONTRARY what is written in Galatians EVERYWHERE!

#23 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:
    Who denies? I deny though that this is what you wrote in the post I reacted on, where you said Jesus is your Sabbath. Now Sabbath is NOwhere in the NT used other than for the Sabbath DAY (or 'week' here and perhaps there). And you said therefore, that Jesus is your Sabbath Day. Having said THAT, is not, having said Jesus is your 'rest'!

Then you confirmed my argument,

Quote:
    He may not be yours(you're words, not mine), but He is mine.

"... but He is mine" -"mine"- for "my Sabbath" = -"mine"- for "my Sabbath Day".

hi... hi... hi... o my! Taking the Law into your own hands, hey?! The Sabbath "of the LORD GOD", the Sabbath of Convict 1 ....

#24 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Thank you for allowing me a choice, but declined. See, I have no choice in this matter. You ruled it out when you said, "Your choice if you don't believe this.....".
    Now I do happen to believe 'this' you so beautifully claimed yourself to believe, and therefore I don't have to choose between Jesus being my Rest and "The Seventh Day God thus concerning spake: And God the Seventh Day from all his works RESTED." Obviously two different things, God's Sabbath and his resting on his Sabbath, things not even God makes a choice between but rather seems to have amalgamated throughout the Scriptures undaunted.

But thanks for the offer anyhow; you're so kind!

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Sounds rather odd, you don't think? "The Sabbath is a shadow of what was coming". Yes, all right, The Sabbath still is a shadow of Jesus Christ who had come already, just like it used to be a shadow of Jesus Christ who would come still at that stage. Simply, the Sabbath has ALWAYS been a shadow of Jesus Christ; and always will be. Which confirms the Sabbath of the LORD GOD shall be forever.
    Beautiful!

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Colossians 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Jesus was not yet revealed until later times.

And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shinning in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 2 Peter 1:19-21

8. Moriah

Moriah New Member

They were Jews who were trying to make the Galatians follow the customs of the Jews. For Paul says, “Tell me, you who want to be under the law…” Paul tells us it is about being under the law. The Jews were those under the law.

Galatians 4:21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born in the ordinary way; but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a promise.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

Exactly, as you say yourself, “The Jews were those under the law.”
    Then in Galatians 4:21, Paul asks the Galatian former Gentiles, now defecting from the (Jewish) Christian Faith, “Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says?”
    That is “in Galatians 4:21”; that, is not, in 4:8-11!
    In Galatians 4:8-11 Paul asks the former Gentiles, now defecting from the (Jewish) Christian Faith,
    “WHEN, YOU, knew NOT God [the God of Israel], WHEN, YOU USED to serve the principalities that from their very nature are no-gods but idols [and not the God of the Jews], tell me, HOW IS IT POSSIBLE you NOW, AFTER you got to know God – OR rather, NOW, AFTER, you got known by God and now are known of Him – HOW IS IT POSSIBLE you NOW, RETURN to those weak and beggarly elements by nature not the [true God and God of Israel], to which you now AGAIN, wish to be in bondage to; wish to be in bondage to all over again, SUPERSTITIOUSLY VENERATING AND DIVINING, WORSHIPPING those principles: days, months, seasons years …” of your former, Gentile, pagan, ERSTWHILE life?!
    Paul found it unthinkable any Christian Galatians could “AGAIN” start praying to their former no-gods”, the gods of Greek “wisdom” and “philosophy” – the gods of the very “KINGDOM OF DARKNESS” – for guidance, protection and prosperity.
    Now if the Galatians THUS would have turned again to the God of Israel and the Jews, would Paul have been so upset, so flabbergasted that he would be prepared to give up on the Galatians? Certainly not!
    Therefore “in Galatians 4:21” Jews might have been involved. (But even “in Galatians 4:21”, I am personally for good reason of the opinion Jews were not the culprits. But that is not now our concern.)
    But in Galations 4:8-10, the Galatians THEMSELVES were the apostates as well as the allurers and corruptors.
    In Galatians 4:8-10 it is not a matter of heresy (like perhaps “in Galatians 4:21”), but a case of relapse and backslide into paganism.

#29 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  10. Moriah

Moriah New Member

All of Galatians 3 is about faith or works of the law.
    In Galatians 4, Paul says, “10 You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11 I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you.”
    It is about “observing special days, months, seasons, and years. The Jews observe special days, months, seasons, and years. The Gentile Pagans before being saved had observed for their form of worship special days, months, seasons, and years. Paul was explaining to them not to go make to those weak and miserable principles.
    Where in Galatians 4 does it say what you say here?
    Do you not know of the scriptures that show us Paul gets upset with the Jews who try to get Gentile Christians to follow Jewish customs?

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Exactly right. People in this thread arguing over whether to observe days or not totally misses the point. We are to live a life in faith, lead by the Holy Spirit, with our eyes on Jesus. The days of the week, holidays, special observance are just events along our path, really, a mute point, and not worthy of any attention one way or the other. I know one thing from 1 Cor 10:31, if I obeserve Christmas, Easter, Mothers Day, Memorial Day, whatever, birthdays, I do it for the glory of God.

The fact that observed days is even being debated shows a focus on a subject that has a worldly mindset. Do Christmas trees put us in bondage? Would the Lord get mad if I light a fire cracker on the fourth of July? Give me a break and get a life.

12. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I made this thread because someone wanted to debate me about the special days mentioned in Galatians.

Many people believe that Christians have to observe special days of the Old Testament. I love discussing the Truth. The Bible says to contend for the faith. That is what I am doing.

13. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Theres really nothing to debate

As was posted in post 7 (or near)

GAL.4 [8] Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.[9] But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?[10] YE OBSERVE DAYS, AND MONTHS, AND TIMES, AND YEARS.[11] I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

DEUT.18 [9] When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.[10] There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, OR AN OBSERVER OF TIMES, or an enchanter, or a witch,[11] Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

Seems to be speakin of those who use horoscopes

2 CHR.33 [3] For he built again the high places which Hezekiah his father had broken down, and he reared up altars for Baalim, and made groves, and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served them.[4] Also he built altars in the house of the LORD, whereof the LORD had said, In Jerusalem shall my name be for ever.[5] And he built altars for all the host of heaven in the two courts of the house of the LORD.[6] And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: ALSO HE OBSERVED TIMES, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger

Looks like the occult. Witchcraft, wizards and the such

LEV.19 [26] Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, NOR OBSERVE TIMES.[27] Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.[28] Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.[29] Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a whore; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness.[30] YE SHALL KEEP MY SABBATHS, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

I guess this scripture says it all. You shall not observe times BUT you will keep my sabbaths

When you find scripture interpreting scripture theres really no where to go. Nothing to debate. The Word is the final word.

14. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

So tell me, how did you come by this faith you speak of? How did you recieve the Holy Spirit that you claim leads you?

15. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

christmas? For the glory of God?

JER.10 [3] For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.[4] They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.[5] They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; FOR THEY CANNOT DO EVIL, NEITHER ALSO IS IT IN THEM TO DO GOOD.

easter? For the glory of God?

EZEK.8 [13] He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.[14] Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat WOMEN WEEPING FOR TAMMUZ.[15] Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and THOU SHALT SEE GREATER ABOMINATIONS than these.[16] And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and THEIR FACES TOWARD THE EAST; AND THEY WORSHIPPED THE SUN TOWARD THE EAST.

What are you doing tonight for the glory of God?

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Do you round the corners of your head? Do you mar the corners of your beard?

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You really need to open the Bible more than once a decade. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. I do not claim the Holy Spirit leads me, He does, and has since the point of salvation. Any other stupid questions?

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I think the corners of his head were rounded when the doctor dropped him on the floor at birth.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not responding to your ignorant posts.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh:

I love your posts!