1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speed Traps

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 29, 2010.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Years ago, I remember reading about a city in Ohio...New Rome, I think it was. They would cite drivers for "dusty license plates" and "obstructions in the windshield" (the "obstructions" were oil change stickers in the top corner). Of course, upon investigation, they found mucho corruption. THe town had 60 or so folks...and they employed a dozen part-time police officers.

If they want to enforce speeding to the letter, fine.

I'm not fine with the manufactured stuff, such as what they did in Ohio, and what I've seen in a town or two during my years. (A couple of Florida Panhandle towns from Dothan AL to the Panama City area have been known for this in years past...)

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is believed by many that police will give you a cushion of 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit. I heard this morning this is no longer true in most communities. The budgets are busted and they need more speeding tickets given out to help the budgets.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This makes more sense than just letting the situation persist and then having a kid run in front of you and the brakes come on for sure. A sure-fire situation for her driving "right up your....uh....differential"!

A test emergency is always preferable to the real thing.

I've done something similar; pull on the parking lights while simultaneously taking my foot off the gas pedal. Same results, as the tailgater has no time to determine that I haven't actually begun stopping.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you listen to NPR as well. Yeah, it makes sense but only minutely sinse you have to wonder how much revenue can be obtained by tickets.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure how much is taken in through speeding tickets. It was reported in our newspaper that the first traffic camera resulted in $30,000 in fines the first month ... and the police said they ticketed only those where the photo showed a gross violation of running the red light.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did find this article on AOL

Salty

PS, Crabby - when you get the facts right - we might have to believe you more often :laugh: :saint: :smilewinkgrin:
    Thanks for the heads up

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, I am seldom wrong, but often misunderstood. :laugh: